DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SCP said:
I've just gotten my 2013 Blue Ocean SL this weekend. I'm been waiting for two years to get my car!

Happy to have found this DFW forum page as well. Looking forward to sharing and learning more!

'Grats on the new ride!

SCP said:
I've just gotten my 2013 Blue Ocean SL this weekend. I'm been waiting for two years to get my car!

Happy to have found this DFW forum page as well. Looking forward to sharing and learning more!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your LEAF. I hope that you leased and did not buy.

leafwing said:
SCP said:

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your LEAF. I hope that you leased and did not buy.

Thanks! Yes, we're leasing for now. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing lots!

Who among local Leafer's are going to Earth Day @Fair Park in a couple of weeks? I'll be there with my family (which probably means NO Leaf) on Saturday April 20 for a few hours (including the NTEAA meeting/table); we really enjoyed last year's "show".

Stanton said:
Who among local Leafer's are going to Earth Day @Fair Park in a couple of weeks? I'll be there with my family (which probably means NO Leaf) on Saturday April 20 for a few hours (including the NTEAA meeting/table); we really enjoyed last year's "show".

I have thought about going. I'm guessing there is no public charging available there?

adric22 said:
Stanton said:

I have thought about going. I'm guessing there is no public charging available there?

There are Blinks in the parking lot (they aren't free).

Stanton said:
adric22 said:
Stanton said:

There are Blinks in the parking lot (they aren't free).

Hmmm, Pipcecil's map doesn't show any charging stations at Fair Park. But you say there are some there?

Yes, last year when I went to Earth day I saw a few chargers to the immediate left of the main entrance. Perhaps not more than 2 or 3 I guess. So if you don;t get that slot you need to have plan B as that event is well attended with parking lots overflowing.

From Robert Cullum if you take a left into Grand Ave (and into the park entrance) I remember seeing them on the immediate left along with handicapped slots.

About a few months ago, the 2 public Blink chargers at Fair Park (lot 5B) were changed to restricted. Restricted can be many things, but I have to assume they are limited in some fashion (behind a gate, ticket to get in, employee only, etc.) - its just Blink's fancy way of saying access is not open and easy. In any case, they may still be accessible for those going to fair park, but there will be more involved access them then just pulling up and parking.

It takes the request of the owner of the EVSE's to mark their units as restricted, so it is the owner of the units does not want open public access to their stations, but only the owner has an idea of what that restricted access means.

Pipcecil said:
About a few months ago, the 2 public Blink chargers at Fair Park (lot 5B) were changed to restricted. Restricted can be many things, but I have to assume they are limited in some fashion (behind a gate, ticket to get in, employee only, etc.) .
Hopefully somebody in that part of town can find out before the date. I wouldn't want to make the trip from Ft.Worth without knowing I can charge. An alternative might be that I could drive to somebody's home that lives nearby and plug in, then carpool with that person to the event.

adric22 said:
Pipcecil said:
About a few months ago, the 2 public Blink chargers at Fair Park (lot 5B) were changed to restricted. Restricted can be many things, but I have to assume they are limited in some fashion (behind a gate, ticket to get in, employee only, etc.) .
Hopefully somebody in that part of town can find out before the date. I wouldn't want to make the trip from Ft.Worth without knowing I can charge. An alternative might be that I could drive to somebody's home that lives nearby and plug in, then carpool with that person to the event.

There seems to be a lot of confusion, so let me be clear: while the Blinks @Fair Park are behind the parking gates, there is no "restriction" other than you have to pay to park (just like everyone else that goes to Earth Day). I have used them in the past when attending a musical (when they were still "free"), but the only thing that should prevent someone from using them is if they are down/broken (which unfortunately happens all to often with Blinks).

Hey, I was looking at plugshare today and I noticed something. It should now be possible to drive a Leaf from DF/W to Austin. There are now a chargers in Hillsboro, Temple, and Waco. Now, none of these are fast chargers, but they are at least Level 2. Which means if you have a 2013 Leaf with the 6.6Kw charger, this trip would just about be doable. You'd be making 3 stops along the way and charging for 2-3 hours at each location. Meaning the trip would probably take between 10 to 12 hours. It could be done with a standard Leaf like mine but would likely take 18 to 20 hours.

It would be cool to make the trip and do a documentary about it. I wouldn't go with my family though, they'd be mad and bored, etc..

It would be cool to make the trip and do a documentary about it.

No, Please!.

Yes you can do that, but what purpose does it serve ?

It just gives more bad press for EVs in general and Leafs in particular that they take 10 hours to get somewhere that an ICE can do it in 3 hours. Leafs are an in town/errand/commute vehicle and they are great for that purpose. Lets leave it at that.

mkjayakumar said:
It just gives more bad press for EVs in general and Leafs in particular that they take 10 hours to get somewhere that an ICE can do it in 3 hours. Leafs are an in town/errand/commute vehicle and they are great for that purpose. Lets leave it at that.
Actually, I thought about that. If I did such a video I'd just make sure to mention up front that the car isn't designed for this, and that quick charging stations would make this trip more tolerable, but wanted to show that nevertheless it could be done with current infrastructure.

I need y'alls collective opinion on how to handle a semi-major change to the charging station map:

After mulling over the Fair Park charging stations and looking at other maps (chargepoint, GE, etc.), I came to the conclusion that i need to include these "restricted" stations on my map for the following reasons:

- these stations are listed on public maps of public stations
- the "pure private" stations are already removed from these maps (i.e. 2 chargers in cedar hill, the blink headquarters for blink, the apartment complexes and oncor stations in chargepoint, etc.)
- restricted can still me access to these areas, but situational (i.e. tickets for parking at fair park, valet and eatting/staying at the hotels, etc.)
- for some restricted that is limited to employment or living, it can help people make decisions about working or living at some locations

I think the biggest kick for me to do this is knowing that the pure private stations are not even listed on these maps sites.

The biggest question is HOW to mark these on the map. I don't want someone seeing a location and thinking that its an open public location, getting to said destination, and then cannot access the station.

Currently each station is visually identified by color (what company) and EVSE Level type (marker) with discriptive text on the number and address. My current solutions are:

- Keep the color code (match the company) but utilize a different marker to show the "restricted access" - Level type will only be able to be discerned by clicking on the marker
- Keep the marker (for level type) but change the color for a new category of "restricted access" - to discern company type, you would need to click the marker
- Keep marker & color and only add to the text if it is restricted or not

Currently all of the restricted ones are Level 2, but that doesn't mean DC fast or a Level 1 would be restricted at some point in time.

I vote for

- Keep the color code (match the company) but utilize a different marker to show the "restricted access" - Level type will only be able to be discerned by clicking on the marker

Edit: changed my mind after further consideration

I like color keys, so I vote for - Keep the marker (for level type) but change the color for a new category of "restricted access" - to discern company type, you would need to click the marker

Ok the big update to the charging station map has occurred. There have been lots of changes, but hopefully for a better, sleeker, design. Please supply any comments such as errors in the paragraph of text, etc. or if some changes need to be redone.

1) Marker Changes - I have upgraded the markers from the simple google markers to custom markers. The change was twofold: the new markers look more professional and readily depict what we are tracking. The new icons are as follows - sockets = level 1, "gas" station with a plug = level 2, triangle sign with "lightning" is DC fast (technically it was a traffic sign for curvy road - I couldn't find a lightning symbol in this marker set). I kept the colors the same for the most part. I am color-dumb so I could not match the exact blue/purple/etc. from the previous markers (I married an artist for these things!), but it’s still blue, purple, green, etc.

2) Restricted access stations - these are now on the map. The new markers allowed me to do a cool "reverse" trick to allow both color and level type to stay true to the markers (yea!). The regular markers are solid colors with the "icon" as white. The restricted stations are reversed in color, white backgrounds with colored "icons." Each restricted marker info has in big caps "RESTRICTED ACCESS" to help with any confusion and to make sure it is noticed (i.e. don't want to strand anybody because they tried to access a restricted station). I made one executive decision on the stations - blink (and blink only) will sometimes list one location as having both restricted and non-restricted chargers despite being at the same location (even in the same area of a parking lot). I don't know how this is governed or anything and, because it seemed to flux quite a bit, decided to just label the whole location as restricted. It was too difficult to track (time consuming) and there was no way to separate the icons, so it would have only been in the text. I am guessing that these (very few) places probably don't want random people easily accessing their stations anyways.

3) Updated beginning text - The intro text has been changed significantly. I removed the information about the charging cards/access cards explanation and just linked the google doc instead since it has more in-depth and easily laid out information (unfortunately it would not allow a "link" or tiny URL, so people will just need to copy and paste link). Added new information to identify the new markers with the associated charge level. Added the restricted and non-restricted explanations. Added a lengthy description on restricted access stations - basically telling users to be aware and check first before relying on the stations.

So here is a list of the stations added from the restricted list:
University of Texas at Arlington – Three Level 2 (GE)
Sabre Holding Company – One Level 2 (GE)
Brinks, Inc. – One Level 2 (GE)
GE: Dallas – Four Level 2 (GE)
Hebron 121 Station – Two Level 2 (eVgo)
Avant – Two Level 2 (eVgo)
Hotel Palomar – Two Level 2 (Blink)
Garland IT Services – Three Level 2 (Blink)
General Motors Arlington Assembly Plant – One Level 2 (Blink)
GM-Arlington EMPLOYEE Parking Lot – Three Level 2 (Blink)
SoCo Urban Lofts – Two Level 2 (Blink)
Fair Park Lot 5B – Two Level 2 (Blink)
Neptune Wave Power Parking Lot – One Level 2 (Blink)
GameStop – Four Level 2 (Blink)

Here are the existing stations public stations that had their icon changed to “restricted” because one or more of their stations are restricted:

Carrier Enterprise HQ (Blink)
Garland Code Enforcement Office (Blink)
Nissan North America – Central Region
St. Mark’s School of Texas

Other Changes:
Hotel Zaza marker was moved to the correct place

Two new stations:
Mountain View College – DCCCD
Blink – Two Level 2 (J1772)
4849 West Illinois Avenue
Dallas, TX 75211

Hampton Inn & Suites – Trophy Club