DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vrwl said:
Sure wish we had more QC station options around the metroplex.

You and I both, but I can't complain too much - we have more than most places do and I can usually get around with the current QC infrastructure. I only wish there was one north of the Dallas/Addison Belt Line Road station in Allen/Frisco/McKinney, etc.

Pipcecil said:
vrwl said:

You and I both, but I can't complain too much - we have more than most places do and I can usually get around with the current QC infrastructure. I only wish there was one north of the Dallas/Addison Belt Line Road station in Allen/Frisco/McKinney, etc.

We can complain. North Dallas, specially Plano where I live, is one of the wealthiest cities in the US above 250,000 people. And we only have a few blink stations/chargers. It makes very little sense.
There are how many corporate headquarters In dfw? There are more now than 2 years ago, but it's not substantial. Which kinda scares me. As it stands, I'm still limited as to where I can go in my leaf.

The interesting yet odd thing is that Twin Peaks, which is similar to Hooters, has blink stations. Most of the people that I know that visit those establishments drive Trucks, SUVs....not exactly leaf drivers. I go to a Starbucks in Frisco, by the mall, and there is a twin peaks next door. Ive never seen ONE car parked there. Odd.

Socks

Texleaf said:
The interesting yet odd thing is that Twin Peaks, which is similar to Hooters, has blink stations. Most of the people that I know that visit those establishments drive Trucks, SUVs....not exactly leaf drivers. I go to a Starbucks in Frisco, by the mall, and there is a twin peaks next door. Ive never seen ONE car parked there. Odd.

Socks

I actually tried to charge at the Twin Peaks in Frisco on New Years Eve day. Both were broken, and one was ICE'd by a Lexus. Had a minor exchange of "words" with a guy in a Range Rover who was going to park in the other space. But as it turned out, it didn't matter, because both chargers were non-functional. Supposedly fixed now by Blink.

I just get irked when I read about the wealth of quick chargers in the Seattle area, and yet here in our big city, not a whole heck of a lot.

Texas is still one of those odd places in the US for EVs - we have a good amount of energy, mindful, tech forward, conservation people but we also have some very staunch conservative, oil energy, tech blow-off, and non-conservation people too. Its quite an interesting dymanic when you have both extremes very close. Its easy to see this in Dallas (liberalish) vs. Fort Worth (conservative) and count the stations on each side of the metroplex - fort worth barely has any!

Much of the installation has to do with the companies versus Blink or Chargepoint, etc. These businesses/companies have to WANT chargers installed. And, unfortunately, it looks as though most of plano businesses don't (yet Twin Peaks is gun-ho about it all, how ironic). In the end, you can only blame the businesses, its their property and their electricty and their parking spaces that are being utilized, and some just never see the benefit, even if its just greenwashing for many of them.

But, as they become more frequent and more people like us ask for them, we will see more and more pop up. In fact, my wife was able to conivince her company to install chargers on their new building, which should open next month - and, its in Plano too :D

I simply do not approve of any Blink chargers in Twin Peaks, because they insist that I need to eat there every time I charge, and it is NOT an establishment which is family friendly.

Once I was there at 4 pm with my family looking to charge and I was shooed away because none of us were hungry to eat dInner at that time.

Pepcil: where in Plano your wife managed to convince her employer for a charge station? I tried unsuccessfully with my ex-employer PepsiCo.

Thanks
Jay

mkjayakumar said:
I simply do not approve of any Blink chargers in Twin Peaks, because they insist that I need to eat there every time I charge, and it is NOT an establishment which is family friendly.

They insisted? Did somebody from Twin Peaks tell you that? Granted, whenever I charge somewhere, I really try to utilize the hosting business however I can, but to insist that you do seems really out of line.

Yes, I was threatened with a tow truck.

When I pulled and plugged in, an indecently (in my view) half clad young lady came out and enquired where I would like to be seated. I told her I am not planning to eat but would like to stay in the car for about an hour to get the charge. She rolled her eyes rushed in apparently to inform her Manager. The manager came out and gave me two choices: either get in and order food, or be prepared to get towed in 5 minutes. He was not interested in listening to me that his front lot was almost empty at that time. And so I pulled out, came home and got the gas burner.

This happened at Twin Peaks, Lewsville several months ago. BTW, I have had lunch and charge together several times at the same location since I got this car when traveling alone.

mkjayakumar said:

Wow! I guess it'll be a cold day in h*** before I go to that Lewisville location for a charge. I wonder if that's a policy established by that particular manager or if it's a company-wide thing?

Wow - I had the exact opposite at this exact same location. It was early last year and I was going to carpool with my sister up to funeral wake in Gainsville (on IH 35E just south of the Oklahoma border). Since i was coming from my house way south, I was going to stop there, let the car sit and charge while I rode with my sister to the funeral while the car was charging. When I pulled in, I talked to the manager about leaving the car for a few hours and he was very generous, had no problems with it and even gave us free appetizers and drinks while my wife and I waited on my sister even though we informed him we weren't ordering any food (we were having a family meal before the wake).

Different manager maybe? Different change in policy? Manager bad day? I do agree that Twin Peaks is not the most family friendly place, but if they want to install chargers more power to them.

I do try and frequent the place I charge at and purchase something in support if possible, but I don't always.

My wife works for Medassests and their new office will be on Legacy just east of Parkwood Boulevard (just a bit east of the DNT). As for whom they chargers will be with, I don't know, they haven't announced the company they went with, but from their "cryptic" email she sent me, it appears they may have went with ChargePoint, which means the chargers could be the standard $2.49 an hour (boo) which is not cost effective for her volt (gas will be cheaper).

New updates:

Name Changes - some slight changes to a couple of names (nothing worth mentioning)

4 New pictures (with marker correction):
Walgreens - Henderson (eVgo)
Cowyboys Stadium (GE)
UTD Lot K (Blink)
UTD Lot I (Blink)

Three new stations:
YMCA- Frisco – Main Street #61
Blink – Three Level 2 (J1772)
3415 Main Street
Frisco, TX 75034

YMCA- Russell Creek #59
3300 McDermott Road
Plano, TX 75025

Kroger Store # 529
Blink – Two Level 2 (J1772)
4241 Capitol Avenue
Dallas, TX 75204

Pipcecil said:
New updates:

Three new stations:
YMCA- Frisco – Main Street #61
3415 Main Street
Frisco, TX 75034

YMCA- Russell Creek #59
3300 McDermott Road
Plano, TX 75025

Kroger Store # 529
4241 Capitol Avenue
Dallas, TX 75204

LOL! I just drove by the Frisco YMCA yesterday and could have taken a pic and confirmed the location at their facility. Oh well, I'll get by there within the next week and check it out. Funny thing is.... while I was driving by, I even thought about whether or not they would ever install chargers since the Y in McKinney has them. LOL!

mkjayakumar said:

When I pulled and plugged in, an indecently (in my view) half clad young lady came out and enquired where I would like to be seated. I told her I am not planning to eat but would like to stay in the car for about an hour to get the charge. She rolled her eyes rushed in apparently to inform her Manager. The manager came out and gave me two choices: either get in and order food, or be prepared to get towed in 5 minutes. He was not interested in listening to me that his front lot was almost empty at that time. And so I pulled out, came home and got the gas burner.

This happened at Twin Peaks, Lewsville several months ago. BTW, I have had lunch and charge together several times at the same location since I got this car when traveling alone.

I actually parked there a few days ago, the one im frisco, and walked over to Starbucks to get a cup of joe to wait for a friend, and then we were going to Twin peaks for lunch. I generally don't go to twin peaks typed joints, Just not my cup of tea, crap food IMO and the surroundings makes me uncomfortable. But my friend wanted to try it out because he's from Germany.....

I was at bucks for 1 hour, and when I walked over...the guy who said he was the afternoon supervisor/manager came out and started scolding me. And said this is for paying twin peaks customers only. I was trying to talk logically with him and he wouldnt have any of it.
Guy was just a dick. My friend pulled up with his normal cadre of zee Germans and They were just blow away by his attitude. So we left and got a salad. (I drove)

I have no clue why they have charging stations in front of twin peaks. It really doesn't seem like the type of establishment that attracts EV drivers. I mean, I drove through the parking lot and it was mostly all trucks and SUVs.
But honestly since I've owned my leaf ive only seen 2 other leafs in north Dallas. I don't know. This is all very frustrating.

Texleaf said:
I have no clue why they have charging stations in front of twin peaks. It really doesn't seem like the type of establishment that attracts EV drivers. I mean, I drove through the parking lot and it was mostly all trucks and SUVs.

I'll tell you why: the owner(s) of the local TP's are EV enthusiasts and want to promote them. I haven't charged at a TP since Blink started charging for it, but I don't understand why they would give you a hard time since:
1) it's not really costing TP anything to maintain (and power) the EVSE's, and
2) you're right: no one uses them anyway

I never had any trouble charging at any of the TP's, but it's been awhile since I did and I may never again since:
1) it's not "free" anymore
2) the food is bad

Guess now I have another reason: they're jerks ;)

vrwl said:
mkjayakumar said:

Wow! I guess it'll be a cold day in h*** before I go to that Lewisville location for a charge. I wonder if that's a policy established by that particular manager or if it's a company-wide thing?

We've parked at this location before to charge, but walked to nearby shops since it was the middle of the afternoon (we've eaten at others). The problem we've seen is that some of the restaurants (like Mesquite) block the area for motorcycles, and it's hard to squeeze the car in.

vrwl said:
Pipcecil said:
Total Locations: 165
Total EVSEs: 400
Level 1: 55 Level 2: 325 QC: 20

I wish there was one located along 35E between Dallas and Denton. That corridor has plenty of Level 2 chargers, but the distances is long enough that a QC would make the trip much easier.

dfwcre8tive said:
shay said:
Has anyone had the brake fix applied: NTB-12-086? It is always interesting trying to find if the dealer has the software for the Leaf fixes.

We had the brake fix applied during our routine service Tuesday. Haven't noticed much of a difference yet.
What dealership did you use?

What is the rate for the free nights plan during the day? How much is it when it is free? (Hint, the answer is not free, probably just under 4 cents/kWh, Oncor's base charge)

I just switched to 4Change, 4.7 cents/kWh. I understand the desire to be green, but you are paying way to much for your electricity, and the "free nights" gimmick really is a ripoff.

By the way a few weeks back I parked in the lost across the street to the west next to the Meyerson and there were 2-4 Blink stations almost operational. Went there last week and they were gone. Wonder what happened.

New round of stuff:

One new addition and 7 modifications to existing stations:

New:
EESAT – Environmental Education, Science & Technology Bldg
1704 West Mulberry Street
Denton, TX 76021

Modifications -
I was doing some clean-up today and was filtering through my locations and the # of EVSEs at each location. Sometimes locations add stations, sometimes some are turned off permanently (only a guess), some are Blink mapping errors, etc. This are all changes, and while some don't make sense, I cannot dismiss them without ground verification (if they were errors) - so I just assume they are correct and run from there:

Watters Creek - Two at this location (increased by 1); believe the original correction was a software glitch
Carrier Enterprise HQ - Two at this location (increased by 1); 4 total, one additional was removed as restricited, so 2 restricted, 2 public
St. Marks School - One at this location (decreased by 1); one was moved to restricted use
Original Pancake House - Addison - One at this location (decreased by 1); I myself have seen both units there, but one may have been taken offline permanetly, or it could be a Blink glitch. Either way since I can't drive there now, I will leave as only 1
Nissan North America - Central Region - 10 at this location (decreased by 2)
McDonalds - Centre Port - Two at this location (increased by 1)
Kroger #577 - Two at this location (decreased by 1)

Cheezmo said:
By the way a few weeks back I parked in the lost across the street to the west next to the Meyerson and there were 2-4 Blink stations almost operational. Went there last week and they were gone. Wonder what happened.

Blink has two listed at the Flora street parking lot with both as "unavailable" (so not turned on yet or has problems). I don't know if these were removed, moved or what. I am going to leave them on the map until Blink removes them or someone confirms their existance or removal.

Back