Disable VSP sound by software

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a newer Leaf with the CAN connected VSP and I am hesitant to debug on my neighbor's 2016 Leaf (they also seem to be out this weekend and I left my mouse in their Leaf when collecting data last week). However, I do have a 2013 VSP board and just wired it up to an ELM so I can play with the just the board. One short coming is I don't know the required CAN messages to get it to generate the backup sound (seems to need more than just CAN message 0x421 with reverse code active). But other than that it seem to work OK from a CAN viewpoint.

There seem to be seven sounds that can be controlled (values go up to 7). Don't know what if anything the three additional codes control.

I now feel I have enough information from the VSP board to add VSP control into a test version of LeafSpy Pro and those with 2013+ Leafs can see if it works and what the extra codes do.

Turbo3 said:
I now feel I have enough information from the VSP board to add VSP control into a test version of LeafSpy Pro and those with 2013+ Leafs can see if it works and what the extra codes do.

I'd be willing to test that when you've got something ready. As I mentioned on the first page of this thread, when I tried it on my 2015 SV it didn't disable any of the sounds.

I have a 2016 SV, Leaf Spy Pro on iOS (via LE Link). Willing to test. I'd love to have the "hybrid" option of disabling the backup bell, but still having for VSP sound. The backup bell is rather annoying late at night when carefully backing into my garage.

I had previously built a non-permanent harness to add the VSP button back in using the correct mating TE connectors and a whole lot of crimping pins and tabs. I'll post about that on the other thread.

Here is the first test using my VSP board which looks to be a success based on the returned status.
xSb0zH.png

The one problem I need to fix is trying to read the status right after I send the reboot command. Obviously the VSP is not going to respond with status while it is rebooting. I need to measure how long a reboot takes and add a delay until the VSP is back online. For this test I needed to read the status a second time after the first one failed. Or I might just read the status before I send the reboot command.

The first test code will be for Android devices running LeafSpy Pro from Google Play (iOS will be later as Apple always needs to review even a test app before they allow it on iTunes and that can take a day.)

========================

It take about 15 seconds to reboot so I added code to schedule reading status after 16 seconds. Seems to work fine now.

========================

Test version 0.39.98 has just been uploaded. Use this link to install.
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro

Information I need from testers.

Which of the four defined sounds can be controlled with LeafSpy Pro version 0.39.98?

What if anything do sounds A, B and C generate? They default to active so what sounds go away when you disable them. Or you can disable all then enable one at a time and see what sounds start working.

If one or more defined sounds don't work please take an ELM trace (see bottom of LeafSpy help file) and send it to me for review.

I could use a little more description for the sounds to put in the Help file. What conditions cause it?

As noted above, when making a change it will take 16 seconds for the ECU to reboot and the change to be confirmed (yellow text changes to black). There is a 1/10 second countdown counter in upper right status area.

If LeafSpy Pro can not read the status you will get the status message "Not Supported". If this occurs after making a change just back out of the VSP Settings page (back button) and reenter VSP Settings and it will try again. If you think you have a CAN connected VSP take an ELM trace and send it to me. Also include model year and country.

Turbo3 said:
Any hope for us MY2012 owners?

Turbo3 said:
If LeafSpy Pro can not read the status you will get the status message "Not Supported". If this occurs after making a change just back out of the VSP Settings page (back button) and reenter VSP Settings and it will try again.

Will go back through and verify when I have some more time, but on my US 2013, I got the "Not Supported" message. I tried again after the reboot and got the same message. However, the first four sounds were disabled with no problem. I haven't tried to enable them individually to ensure everything is good going the other way.

silverone said:
Turbo3 said:
If LeafSpy Pro can not read the status you will get the status message "Not Supported". If this occurs after making a change just back out of the VSP Settings page (back button) and reenter VSP Settings and it will try again.

Will go back through and verify when I have some more time, but on my US 2013, I got the "Not Supported" message. I tried again after the reboot and got the same message. However, the first four sounds were disabled with no problem. I haven't tried to enable them individually to ensure everything is good going the other way.
Can you be a little clearer on when you got the "Not Supported" message.

I assume you mean you first got into the VSP settings screen without getting the Not Supported message then made your selection and pressed "Change". Then after the time out got the Not Support message. Then you backed out of the VSP Settings screen and selected VSP Settings again and again got Not Supported. Is that right?

What is not clear to me is if you have been able to enter VSP Settings again since this first change without getting the Not Supported message.

When I tried this morning, unchecking boxes on the left and choosing Change, it seemed like the countdown was approximately 110-120 and the VSP hadn't rebooted in time to report back status. When I tried this afternoon, it seemed like the countdown was 150 (15 seconds) and the report back was "Done". I just turned off Sound A, Sound B, and Sound C, but haven't determined what they are if anything.

silverone said:
When I tried this morning, unchecking boxes on the left and choosing Change, it seemed like the countdown was approximately 110-120 and the VSP hadn't rebooted in time to report back status. When I tried this afternoon, it seemed like the countdown was 150 (15 seconds) and the report back was "Done". I just turned off Sound A, Sound B, and Sound C, but haven't determined what they are if anything.
Thanks for the update. The starting delay is actually 160 which would be 16 seconds. But perhaps I should make it 200 (20 seconds).

On my 2016 UK model I successfully disabled the drive sound :D. However I was unable to enable the reverse beeps. Not sure what the others are so left them alone.

TonyHoyle said:
On my 2016 UK model I successfully disabled the drive sound :D. However I was unable to enable the reverse beeps. Not sure what the others are so left them alone.
Can you send me an ELM trace of going into the VSP Settings page and setting/clearing the reverse beeps? See bottom of help for how to do it.

Turbo3 said:
TonyHoyle said:
Can you send me an ELM trace of going into the VSP Settings page and setting/clearing the reverse beeps? See bottom of help for how to do it.

OK sent. Hope it helps :p

Thanks, I can see from the trace I made a small mistake after sending the reboot command that will cause loss of connection.

I did not catch that while testing because I use a hardware simulator for the Leaf combined with a real VSP board and the simulator is not exact so responds a little bit differently.

After I have lunch I will send out a fixed version.

I just purchased the pro version so I can try this out. Thanks for all of your hard work on the app!

One other question. Is there a way to disable the tire pressure sensors via LeafSpy? I believe the sensor in one or more of my tires is malfunctioning. I've checked the tire pressure daily over the past three weeks and it's held steady at 40psi on all tires, yet my warning light stays on. I'd like to disable the light or turn off the tps check if possible. I check my tire pressure at least weekly on all of my vehicles, and I wouldn't trust the sensor anyways. It's not a huge deal, I've learned to ignore the warning light, but it's one of those things I'd like to disable if possible.

Back