Do I have a bum heater?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IkeaJ said:
baustin said:
I tested mine a couple weeks ago to make sure the heater was working. The energy reading spikes to around 3kw while the air heater is running.
Can you please let me know how you check that? As I am facing issues in checking the heater.

It's on the energy usage screen in the NAV system. I think pressing the carwings button on the lower right of the screen will get you there. I would have to go out to the car and look at it to be sure.

The quickest test is to set the heat to the highest temperature and set the fan on high and see how hot it gets, and how fast. On 2013 and newer, it should get warm pretty fast.

Okay now I'm posting a follow-up since I did replace my 2012 LEAF SL PTC heater myself. Prior to replacing it, I confirmed I still had power (~390 volts DC) coming from the DC>>DC converter with a voltmeter at the heater plug. The 2012 version heater has coolant flowing through it too. Once I figured out what the PTC heater looks like and found it under the hood it took me 8-10 hours to replace it with a salvage yard unit, (paid the bargain price of $225, although $500 is more typical vs. $900 new). There are 33 fasteners involved in removing the PTC heater, (about 8 of them are clips, mostly bolts, and two hose clamps). Not easy but you can figure it out once you realize you have better access by removing the drivers' front wheel, & wheel tub & 12 volt battery & its tray. The trickiest part was actually the unplugging of the orange power cord from the heater. It must be done in a 3 step sequence by pushing tabs at the right moment while pulling. So in my case the Nissan dealership mechanic didn't do a thorough diagnosis & investigation... He gave up after reading fault codes. There was no issue with the DC>>DC converter after all. I cleared my codes via my LEAFspy pro, and they have not returned after 2 weeks of winter driving with heat. I'm very happy I could fix this myself for $225, as the dealership had quoted $4,000.

I was once quoted $3200.00+ to have the transmission replaced on an old Volvo 240. I knew from the usenet Volvo group that it was likely the external solenoid that actuates the overdrive, so I had a local shop replace that and a few wires. It came to $300 and solved the problem, which was no overdrive.

Back