Do I have what is needed for an EVSE installation?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAWesthaver

Hi there!,

My first post! I've been a lurker here for quite some time and I've really learned a lot about the Leaf from the great discussions on this forum.

I finally took delivery of a 2013 Leaf SV and I am excited about getting my garage set up with a 220Volt EVSE system. I'm hoping that you all can guide me as I move forward with this project. I think I have the necessary wiring in my garage but I'd appreciate it if you would look at my current wiring and let me know if you agree (or not.)

A little background:

1) I have a 200 AMP main panel in the basement. This is the original panel that came with the house.

2) I have a 100 AMP sub-panel located right next to the main panel. (I had this panel installed a decade ago during some home renovations that needed additional lighting and outlet circuits.)

3) I have a 30 AMP sub-sub-panel in the garage that powers my 220 Volt air compressor (used infrequently.)

Does this configuration provide for enough power for my Leaf's 6.6Kw on-board charger? Or do I need to run another circuit from the 100 AMP sub-panel in the basement to my garage for the EVSE? I'd like to just use what I have but you might think otherwise.

Also, what brand of EVSE do most of you like for DIY installation?

I look forward to your feedback.

You could connect a 20 amp EVSE like the EVSE Upgrade or the Clipper Creek LCS-25P into the 30 amp sub-panel used for your compressor, but you won't have enough juice to be able to use both the EVSE and the compressor at the same time. If that's a must for you, you will need to provide another source of electricity for the EVSE.

Is the compressor a plug-in type? If so installation and being able to switch between the EVSE and compressor will be very easy. The Clipper Creek LCS-25P comes with your choice of two different plugs, but you have to choose the correct one at the time of order (they are listed as separate products on the Clipper Creek website).

EVSE Upgrade comes with L6-30R but you can purchase adapters for both 120 volt and other types of 240 volt outlets.

Clipper Creek is $545 for the plug-in version. EVSE Upgrade is $287 for the upgrade of your OEM EVSE, plus the cost of adapters and shipping. If you need "rush" service it will cost another $75 plus there is an $800 hold on your credit card which will be removed upon receipt of your original EVSE in new condition.

Both EVSEs supply a maximum 20 amps of electricity at 240 volts. So it won't charge your Leaf at "full speed" but if you charge overnight it really won't matter. It will add less than 2 hours to your charging time, and only if the battery is going from fully depleted to 100%.

30 amp is plenty to run the 6.0 charging at about 20a with a Clipper Creek evse or the oem brick modified by evseupgrade.com.

You really need a 40a circuit and 30 amp evse if you some how require charging at the full 6.0 kW rate.

Garage subpanel might be fine with more amps but you will need to upgrade the feed wire and breakers. Electrician can advise.

I would stick with 20a charging myself as the time difference is not huge.

smkettner said: You really need a 40a circuit and 30 amp evse if you some how require charging at the full 6.0 kW rate.
I just found this info on wire gauge capacity:

14AWG - 15 A
12AWG - 20 A
10AWG - 30 A
8 AWG - 40 A
6 AWG - 50 A
4 AWG - 70 A
3 AWG - 80 A
2 AWG - 90 A
1 AWG - 110 A
1/0 AWG - 125 A

I took a closer look at the wiring that goes from my basement sub-panel to my garage sub-sub-panel and it is 3 conductor 6-guage with a ground.

So, it appears that the garage sub-sub-panel wiring is capable of handling 50 Amps even though it is fused (breaker'ed) for 30 Amps.

Since my wiring is heavy enough (50 Amps), couldn't I replace the existing breaker (30 Amp) with a 40 Amp unit and have enough capacity to power a 30 amp EVSE and still be within safe limits?

It looks like this to me:

I would have wiring capable of 50 Amps, fused (breaker'ed) at 40 Amps and a 30 Amp EVSE.

Any thoughts?

As long as the sub-panel and wire has the rating I would go max on the #6 which is at least 50... maybe 60 amps.
Then pop in a double 40a breaker for the branch circuit to the 30a EVSE. #8 is fine for this 40a branch circuit.

My EVSE is 40A 9.6kWh unit and I installed a 50A Breaker with 6/3 wire, The 2 Pole breaker did not need the ground. My Electrician wanted the 6/3 wire because all 3 conductors would be the same gauge. The ground was not used.

LAWesthaver said:
smkettner said: You really need a 40a circuit and 30 amp evse if you some how require charging at the full 6.0 kW rate.
I just found this info on wire gauge capacity:

14AWG - 15 A
12AWG - 20 A
10AWG - 30 A
8 AWG - 40 A
6 AWG - 50 A
4 AWG - 70 A
3 AWG - 80 A
2 AWG - 90 A
1 AWG - 110 A
1/0 AWG - 125 A

I took a closer look at the wiring that goes from my basement sub-panel to my garage sub-sub-panel and it is 3 conductor 6-guage with a ground.

So, it appears that the garage sub-sub-panel wiring is capable of handling 50 Amps even though it is fused (breaker'ed) for 30 Amps.

Since my wiring is heavy enough (50 Amps), couldn't I replace the existing breaker (30 Amp) with a 40 Amp unit and have enough capacity to power a 30 amp EVSE and still be within safe limits?

It looks like this to me:

I would have wiring capable of 50 Amps, fused (breaker'ed) at 40 Amps and a 30 Amp EVSE.

Any thoughts?

Back