Do you call it a gas peddle...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically letting go the "gas" pedal applies braking (regenerative braking not friction).
So to make things more simple I call it just a pedal.
And the other pedal that is used specifically for braking I call brake.
So like "push the brake" - i mean the normal brakes, not emergency brake. So push the brake pedal.
Or "push the pedal" I mean the pedal that pushes me vehicle forward (including bikes) :lol:
Also I use phrase "let go of the pedal". This includes brake pedal but it is unnecessary to say in plural.
When I want somebody to let go of the brake I say exactly that and not pedal.

So
brake pedal = brake
gas pedal = pedal

I still call it the gas. Guess I'm in a minority. Hey we still use a floppy disk as a save icon and the phone icon on smartphones (Android at least) doesn't look like a smart phone. I think that people will call it the gas peddle for a long time to come.

PEDDLE:
intransitive verb
1 : to travel about with wares for sale; broadly : sell
2 : to be busy with trifles : piddle

transitive verb
1 : to sell or offer for sale from place to place : hawk; broadly : sell
2 : to deal out or seek to disseminate
3 : to offer or promote as valuable

PEDAL:
noun
1 : a foot-operated lever used to control certain mechanisms, as automobiles, or to play or modify the sounds of certain musical instruments, as pianos, organs, or harps.
2 :a leverlike part worked by the foot to supply power in various mechanisms, as the bicycle.
3. :Music.
a foot-operated keyboard, as on an organ or harpsichord.
any of the keys of such a keyboard.
pedal point.

verb (used without object), pedaled, pedaling or (especially British) pedalled, pedalling.
4 : to work or use the pedals, as in playing an organ or propelling a bicycle.
verb (used with object), pedaled, pedaling or (especially British) pedalled, pedalling.
5 : to work the pedals of (an organ, bicycle, etc.).
adjective
6 : of or relating to a foot or the feet.
7 : of or relating to a pedal or pedals.
8 : using pedals:
a pedal mechanism.

Back