Does B mode affect acceleration?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronmamacleaf

I mostly always drive on d and eco. Thought I would play with b mode today on the way home. Noticed it took more power to get to speed compared to just being in the d mode. Hence using more power? Is this accurate. I came to an understanding that B mode only affecting the regen after you let off the pedal?

B mode is supposed to only affect regenerative braking, not acceleration. I haven't seen any other reports of what you describe. Remember that D uses more power than Eco, so if you switch from Eco to D&B modes, that will use more juice.

Pedal travel is different, this is why it seems B needs more power to accelerate.
It looks like this:

Fully released --- fully depressed (power in kW, SOC below 90%, ECO mode off)
B -30-20-10-0+10+30+50+70+80
D -20-10-0+15+20+35+50+65+80

So at constant speed in B mode pedal is depressed to 50%, in D mode only 40%. Same power output, same speed.

Power is power. It takes X amount of power to accelerate at a given rate to a given speed. There is no setting on the car that will change the value of X.* Eco mode does not make the car more efficient. It attempts to make YOU more efficient via psychological trickery. It requires more pedal travel, under the dubious assumption that you'll not have the mental fortitude to move your foot as needed to obtain the acceleration you desire. Eco mode is useful though, is it makes the pedal response more linear and controllable, as it should be. Likewise, B mode makes the regen more pronounced, giving easier vehicle control, as it should be. So you have to select 2 non-default choices to get the car to make sense. ;)

* yes, eco mode does put limits on HVAC energy consumption, which is another psychological ploy of dubious merit.

I noticed this as well, but I also think it has more to do with pedal travel.

That being said, I find that D+ECO is the most efficient driving mode in most circumstances because coasting often is better than regen to a certain degree. I tend to only use B mode if I'm going down a long steep hill. Even in D mode you'll find that you can feather the brake and generate similar regen.

I've tested normal vs ECO climate consumption in heating mode. No limitations in heating for 2014 Leaf.
I'll check for cooling in summer.

I tend to click to reverse when I want to coast. Faster than clicking neutral.

Nubo said:
Power is power. It takes X amount of power to accelerate at a given rate to a given speed. There is no setting on the car that will change the value of X.* Eco mode does not make the car more efficient. It attempts to make YOU more efficient via psychological trickery. It requires more pedal travel, under the dubious assumption that you'll not have the mental fortitude to move your foot as needed to obtain the acceleration you desire. Eco mode is useful though, is it makes the pedal response more linear and controllable, as it should be. Likewise, B mode makes the regen more pronounced, giving easier vehicle control, as it should be. So you have to select 2 non-default choices to get the car to make sense. ;)

* yes, eco mode does put limits on HVAC energy consumption, which is another psychological ploy of dubious merit.

This is perfect. I've said the same thing to a few friends, and received only incredulity and misunderstanding. Until there's a button that changes the motor in the LEAF - there is no setting that will make it slower or faster - just use your right foot and the brain your mother gave you.

-Tal

Back