Does the car make more noise when charging level 2 then 1?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodtohave

I have had my leaf for 3 weeks and have been charging with the level 1 but I finally installed the Nissan Aeroinvironment and it seems to me it is louder.

Is there a cooling system of some sort for the batteries that runs harder at level2

Thanks!

Yes there is a cooling system for the batteries <edit>, corrected it's not the battery coolant...wow if only...sigh.. but for the on board charger. I don't know if it's louder at level2 than 1 because I've only charged at 120 once. But after a while I became attuned to the sounds of the car and can now hear the system running when it's charging.

I didn't notice a sound difference going from L1 to L2. The only thing I noticed is that on L2 I could feel some mild warmth when touching the coolant hose whereas on L1 I did not.

Note, this was for a 2012. With the faster charge on a 2013 I don't know if the pump would need to work any harder.

Goodtohave said:
I have had my leaf for 3 weeks and have been charging with the level 1 but I finally installed the Nissan Aeroinvironment and it seems to me it is louder.

Is there a cooling system of some sort for the batteries that runs harder at level2

Thanks!

We have a 2011 and 2012 (hence 3.3kWh chargers - not the 6.6 in most 2013's) - we often charge the two side-by-side, one on L2, one on L1. The one charging on L2 (and it varies which one) does seem to have a slightly louder buzzing noise during charging. Could be my imagination ....

Note there is NOT a cooling system for the batteries. There is a coolin system for the inverter (charger) and the motor but there is no cooling for the batteries.

My blink buzzes which adds more noise than L1.

Do you have the 6kw charger? Seems like the 2013's 6kw charger could run the cooling system at different levels or the inverter might be louder but i haven't seen anyone say that yet.

Back