Does the Leaf show MPGe on the dash?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Not to my knowledge. I only see efficiency as mi/kWh.

FWIW, MPGe as provided on the EPA stickers is from the wall, so it includes the efficiency related to charging. Of course the vehicle could estimate that efficiency, but it varies quite a bit with charging rate.

Not that I can find but I'm still new to the LEAF.

As a side note, I tend not to try to compare "MPG" with ICE cars. I compare "DPM" (Dollars per Mile).
My morning commute is about 30 miles to the office and I have a Level 2 charger at work. It costs me about $0.55 to charge the LEAF back to 80% when I arrive at work.
When my co-workers ask about the cost of driving the LEAF, I always tell them "I drive 30 miles on $0.55 worth of electricity. How far can your car go on 55 cents of gas?"

But back to the topic....Anyone know how to get MPGe to be displayed?

So what mi/kWh are owners averaging? (Not the best efficiency; the average.) My gasoline car goes almost 20 miles on 55 cents of gas. I also drive slow (55-60). How fast do you drive your Leaf?

Currently only gas or diesel owners pay the gasoline/road tax, but eventually EV owners will be assessed it too. As hybrids and EVs gain popularity and the politicians see a shortfall in their highway funds, they'll probably add 1 dollar tax for every 50 miles traveled, regardless of what kind of energy you burn.

I'm with BobGeisel - MPGe doesn't seem nearly as useful as comparing "dollars per mile".

I'm happy that the Leaf displays "miles per kilowatt-hour". It's the natural way to measure efficiency for an electric vehicle. If you want to convert that to MPGe, just multiply that number by 33.7.
3 miles/kWh == 101.1 MPGe
4 miles/kWh == 134.8 MPGe
5 miles/kWh == 168.5 MPGe

theaveng said:
So what mi/kWh are owners averaging?
Carwings says that I have averaged 4.0 miles/kWh during my ownership (a little over one year).

If I keep my speed at 55-60mph on the highway, I'll average 4.5-5.0 miles/kWh, depending on weather.

If Mr. Geisel is burning 55 cents to go 30 miles, that would be approximately 5.5 kWh total, or 5.4545...mi/kWh.

5.45...* 33.7 == 183 MPGe. Something fishy here... the EPA only rates this car 92 highway. Is Mr. Geisel really getting double the EPA rating?
sproqitman said:
You listed your Insight at 62 miles/gallon. Where are you able to buy gasoline for $1.65 a gallon?
No I didn't. That's the EPA rating. My average is 89.8. I changed it to the EPA rating because some people told me I'm "not allowed" to list any value except the official rating

Why?

It runs on electricity ergo miles/kW. Do you want cars to display comparisons to various fuels: miles/gasoline; m/diesel; m/CNG; m/hydrogen; m/?

Your priority seems to be the cheapest way to go a certain number of miles. If so take public transport, bike or walk.

BTW: Lifetime average is 4.8kW/mi. Mostly freeways.

91040 said:
Your priority seems to be the cheapest way to go a certain number of miles.
False assumption. Strawman argument. Et cetera. You asked "Why" and I will respond with "Because I was curious."

As for biking: It is the most-efficient way to travel (~700 MPGo) but also too dangerous. My father and also my friend's father almost got killed when struck by cars. I want the safety of metal around me. And public transport would not carry me 40 miles to work without several inconvenient train changes, nor it is a substitute for a car's ability to carry a month of groceries in the trunk, or a long journey to the beach or mountains.

89.8 MPG is AWESOME!
If I was getting that in my old ICE, I would have kept it. (I was getting 18MPG.)

I have less than one weeks worth of data, my numbers may not be typical.
I'm typically a right-lane/speed limit/cruise control kind of driver.
According to Carwings, my Average Energy Economy is 4.6 miles/kWh for my last trip. (28.1 miles at about 60 mph over fairly flat Texas highways.)
According to Chargepoint, it cost me 55 cents to charge my LEAF back up to 80% (6.2 kWh).
Charging at my office, I only pay for time connected not kWh consumed.

I don't know where the "33.7" number comes from so I can't comment on MPGe of my LEAF.
But if that is the correct conversion number then "Excellent! I'm getting 183 MPGe. Where do I sign up for the next LEAF commercial?" ;)

theaveng said:
Currently only gas or diesel owners pay the gasoline/road tax, but eventually EV owners will be assessed it too. As hybrids and EVs gain popularity and the politicians see a shortfall in their highway funds, they'll probably add 1 dollar tax for every 50 miles traveled, regardless of what kind of energy you burn.
I'm sure you're aware from other threads that Missourians/others must buy an alternative fuel sticker every year ("penalty" for driving electric; makes up for that tax). Also, that's some wild assertion - a sudden funding shortfall/arbitrary tax amount for arbitrary miles traveled. Newbie members/owners should research the forum threads before committing time to this.

theaveng said:
If Mr. Geisel is burning 55 cents to go 30 miles, that would be approximately 5.5 kWh total, or 5.4545...mi/kWh.

5.45...* 33.7 == 183 MPGe. Something fishy here... the EPA only rates this car 92 highway. Is Mr. Geisel really getting double the EPA rating?
sproqitman said:
You listed your Insight at 62 miles/gallon. Where are you able to buy gasoline for $1.65 a gallon?
No I didn't. That's the EPA rating. My average is 89.8. I changed it to the EPA rating because some people told me I'm "not allowed" to list any value except the official rating
To paraphrase sproqitman, where are you able to buy gas for $2.47/gal? 20 (miles) / 89.8 (MPG) = 0.223 gal. $0.55 / 0.223 (gal) = $2.47 ($/gal).

Is Texas gas that cheap?

theaveng said:
So what mi/kWh are owners averaging? (Not the best efficiency; the average.) My gasoline car goes almost 20 miles on 55 cents of gas. I also drive slow (55-60). How fast do you drive your Leaf?

I am averaging right around 3.8mi/kWh in my almost month old Leaf. I expect that to go up once I do not need to run my heater as much (it's be an unusually cold spring in Minnesota...average morning drive temp around 25F, afternoon maybe 35). I drive a bit over the speed limit...usually set the cruise at 64 when the limit is 55 and about 70 when the limit is 65.

Since I switched to time of day metering with my electric company, my cost/mile is quite good. My current nighttime/weekend rate is $0.019/kWh. I do all my charger off peak. As a result, I am going about 100 miles on 55 cents of electricity. I fully expect this to go up when and if it every warms up.

Like others have pointed out, you may need to double check your math. Assuming your gas is about the same as ours, I calculate about 14miles/0.55cents for you...which is certainly nothing to shake a stick at.....

My long term average is 5.7 m/kwh, but here in the flat Tucson basin where I never need heating it is a pretty ideal place for an EV, (for efficiency, not to avoid battery degradation!)

sproqitman said:
theaveng said:
My gasoline car goes almost 20 miles on 55 cents of gas.
If one is curious about theaveng's mileage ratings, observed mileage, etc., see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=226093#p226093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and a bunch of posts that follow.

in my 6 months & 5500 miles of ownership--my car says it is averaging 4.4 miles per kw.So. this is good?.Not much heat or a/c needed so far,though.The car is great.Realy like it.

Let's imagine that EV proponents are successful and some day everyone starts driving EVs (or plugins like the Volt). That means very little gasoline will be used, very little tax collected, and not enough funds to maintain the roads. Politicians will have to find a different way to assess drivers for road funds, and they have already proposed adding a tax for every mile driven.
DoxyLover said:
To paraphrase sproqitman, where are you able to buy gas for $2.47/gal?
That's how much my gas costs before tax is added. The question was not "How far can you drive on 55 cents of gas + sales tax?" The question was how far can you drive on 55 cents gas. It's just the same as my cellphone bill which Verizon advertises as $29.99. The 3 dollars of sales tax is a a separate item.

Back