Does the Model S have no eco mode?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkendt1989

I am going to be leasing a 2013 Nissan Leaf S. Does this model have no Eco mode or anything like that? On the next model I test drove I noticed an eco mode on the steering wheel.

Guessing it's another feature not included in the S model? :(

I have a 2013 S. It does have an eco mode, and I have it in there all the time. It does not have a B mode like the pricier versions do, and from what I read the pricier ones have a more efficient heating system. and Cruise control. I wish I got the SV with the DC charging option. It would be money well spent. Can't go back now. I'm just enjoying what I have

You're really that unhappy with the S model? The extra specs didn't seem worth the upgrade. Most were cosmetic or luxury features. I won't be taking this on far trips and level 3 is not common yet. Only did a 3 year lease so I will see how I like it after the 3 years and maybe get the upgraded model next.

I can live with what I have, but I'd really like to have the upgraded heater and the B mode to increase the range a bit. Plus the cruise control. Other than that I'm really happy with my car. I don't miss the carwings and navigation. I have the 6 KW charger and DC fast charger option. Really glad I got that.

johnrhansen said:
I can live with what I have, but I'd really like to have the upgraded heater and the B mode to increase the range a bit. Plus the cruise control. Other than that I'm really happy with my car. I don't miss the carwings and navigation. I have the 6 KW charger and DC fast charger option. Really glad I got that.

Is the heater that big of an upgrade? Does it just use less power to heat the car?

I tried to get the S packaged w mine but the demand is so high that Nissan shipped it without it :(

The half charging time won't make a difference. Level 1 will most likely work and level 2 with 7 hour full charge will definitely work since the car will sit in my garage close to 14 hours a night.

FYI, ECO mode is on the shifter of the 13MY S-grade; just the same as it was on 11/12MY. Just toggle the shifter to the left and rearward twice to engage ECO.

jkendt1989 said:
mkjayakumar said:
subject: Does the Model S have no eco mode
With 265 miles of EPA range why would "Model S" need an ECO mode ? :)
What do you mean by that?
Although a tad confusing, by convention a "Model S" typically refers to a "Tesla Model S" (which, in the 85kWh battery pack has a rated range of 265 miles). Although this is a LEAF forum, the "Model S" is also frequently discussed here. When Nissan released their lower cost LEAF S (to go with the SV and SL), some people call it the "S model" or, in your case, the "model s" - which can be confusing. Particularly so for those of us who actually have a Model S, that's naturally where my mind goes when I see those two words together. It look me a second to realize you were talking about the LEAF S model.

I hereby propose that "Model S" be reserved for referring to the Tesla, and that when referring the the LEAF S model/package that it be referenced as "LEAF S". ...everybody cool with that? ;)

kovalb said:
FYI, ECO mode is on the shifter of the 13MY S-grade; just the same as it was on 11/12MY. Just toggle the shifter to the left and rearward twice to engage ECO.

Hm... I'll have to check that out when I get it. To lock it into park I just hit the P button the small shifter thingy correct?

jkendt1989 said:
kovalb said:

Hm... I'll have to check that out when I get it. To lock it into park I just hit the P button the small shifter thingy correct?

If you are stopped and keeping the car on for some reason like letting someone out or in, put it in P. But if u are parking it, P isn't necessary. When you shut off the car, it automatically goes into P.

jkendt1989 said:
Doesn't matter to me either way, but this is a Nissan Leaf forum :shock:

Yes, but there are many other threads that aren't LEAF related such as the Model S thread that ONLY refers to the Tesla.

I believe the missing button on the steering wheel would bring up
a display on the center console showing range, and charge stations.
With the center console change for the S, the button would no
longer work, so was removed.

cliff said:
I believe the missing button on the steering wheel would bring up
a display on the center console showing range, and charge stations.
With the center console change for the S, the button would no
longer work, so was removed.

Sorry got confused, which button are you referring to? The Park button on the knob?

cliff said:
I believe the missing button on the steering wheel would bring up a display on the center console showing range, and charge stations.
That's a different button. As kovalb said, the 2011-2012 models had no ECO button on the steering wheel, but they did have an ECO mode, controlled by the shifter. And no, it was not a button on the shifter, but shifting into Drive again. i.e. when you were in Drive, and shifted into Drive (remember, the shift lever always pops back to a central position) you went into ECO. If you were in ECO and shifted (again) into Drive, you were back in non-ECO Drive.

The 2013 SV and SL models kept that concept but used it to toggle "B" mode on and off. They added a button on the steering wheel to switch ECO on and off.

The 2013 S model doesn't have a "B" mode, and kept the ECO mode sort of the way it was in the 2011-2012. You still toggle it on and off using the shifter, but now the car remembers whether it was on or off at all times. So on the dash you might see D-ECO or R-ECO or P-ECO or N-ECO. You no longer have to shift twice into Drive to get back into ECO after going to Reverse or Neutral or Park. Or even after powering down and back up! It's now a "set it and forget it" switch. I'm now always in ECO no matter how or where I am driving.

Ray

jkendt1989 said:
johnrhansen said:
Is the heater that big of an upgrade? Does it just use less power to heat the car?
Using less power is nothing to be dismissive about. We'll know more about how much less power it uses once people have been through a winter with the new heat pump. The old resistive heater can dramatically reduce your range in the winter unless you bundle up and tough it out with little or no heat.

I'm with johnrhansen on this. I do really like my new S model, but I wish I could have gotten the better heater and the cruise control. I haven't had a chance to test "B" mode so I'm not sure how important I would find that.

jkendt1989 said:
The half charging time won't make a difference. Level 1 will most likely work and level 2 with 7 hour full charge will definitely work since the car will sit in my garage close to 14 hours a night.
Yes, I don't see much advantage to the charge package when charging at home. I got it only because faster charging is a big advantage if you have to do it on the road. Well, in honesty I have to say I also got the charging package because it included a backup camera. I loved the backup camera on my 2011, but that part is a huge disappointment. The 2013 display screen is too small and too dark, and I rarely use it at all.

Ray

planet4ever said:
jkendt1989 said:
johnrhansen said:
Using less power is nothing to be dismissive about. We'll know more about how much less power it uses once people have been through a winter with the new heat pump. The old resistive heater can dramatically reduce your range in the winter unless you bundle up and tough it out with little or no heat.

I'm with johnrhansen on this. I do really like my new S model, but I wish I could have gotten the better heater and the cruise control. I haven't had a chance to test "B" mode so I'm not sure how important I would find that.

jkendt1989 said:
Yes, I don't see much advantage to the charge package when charging at home. I got it only because faster charging is a big advantage if you have to do it on the road. Well, in honesty I have to say I also got the charging package because it included a backup camera. I loved the backup camera on my 2011, but that part is a huge disappointment. The 2013 display screen is too small and too dark, and I rarely use it at all.

Ray

I am thinking about adding the back up cam onto mine, only will cost about $200 to do so. You don't think it's worth it?

Also what advantage do I get by going into drive twice for eco mode? Do you get a lot more miles?

I like my back up cam on my S. I got it with the fast charge package. I use it all the time. I've noticed when the sun is really bright it doesn't work, but I just revert to the mirrors. Better to have the extra eye. If it saves you one time from hitting something it paid for itself.

I run in eco mode all the time. I don't know if it saves or not as I have never done a scientific test. I just trusted the owners manual on that one. It said the battery would last longer if it is used, so I just do it. Unless I want to beat someone off the line at a light!

johnrhansen said:
I like my back up cam on my S. I got it with the fast charge package. I use it all the time. I've noticed when the sun is really bright it doesn't work, but I just revert to the mirrors. Better to have the extra eye. If it saves you one time from hitting something it paid for itself.

I run in eco mode all the time. I don't know if it saves or not as I have never done a scientific test. I just trusted the owners manual on that one. It said the battery would last longer if it is used, so I just do it. Unless I want to beat someone off the line at a light!

Is there a huge difference in power when in eco mode?

Back