Does Trump's Election Spell the End for Federal EV Subsidies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XeonPony said:
Actually that is a regressive leftist trait, ie the SJW's are the fascists "You can't say that cuase muh feelins!!" and they are the ones who want a thought crimes unit!

And most of trump supporters aren't supremacists but they aren't idiots, the SJW's directly are attacking whites, specifically, thus a push back was needed. It is more happen stance that he happened to attract the cooks from the wood work, but they are just a symptom of the core problem of the SJW's created

??? Single Jewish women?

I've never met a SJW and never been affected by one either.

Perhaps you need to get friends and interact off the internets where such people exist

What I still don't understand is why Chris calls himself Xeonpony.

And nope never met either type of sjw.

I figured they were some kind of tv artifact.

evnow said:
He is right to freakout - it is not common in modern times for white supremacists like Bannon to be the strategy guy at the white house.

We've never been this close to fascism.
After having a family member conscripted by MSNBC directed to "perform" in a protest crowd scene a particular way and a solid weekend listening to Hillary commercials featuring a digitally edited clip of Donald Trump saying something he never did I'm not sure I can believe anything I'm told about Bannon, or anything else for that matter.

And they wonder why people are fed up.

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/11/14/why-even-donald-trump-probably-cant-stop-electric.aspx

At some point in the not-too-distant future, the subsidies won't matter: Electric cars will make more financial sense on their own merits. And as Tesla has shown, it's possible to create electric vehicles that are as good as or better than the best gasoline-powered alternatives. Electric vehicles will soon make more sense on other fronts, too.

Of course Trump may have no interest in stopping electric cars, it's all prejudice at this point.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Of course Trump may have no interest in stopping electric cars, it's all prejudice at this point.

EVs are almost past the point of needing subsidies. So I'm not very concerned either way.

Other things worry me more.

Trump has about as much support in congress as Mr. Obama had.
While he talks like he gets to dictate everything under the sun..in practice he can't.

So that is my answer to any question that begins like this one did.. regardless of the subject.

The feds only give a tax credit..useful only to the rich... it's not a rebate.

meanwhile real cash rebates are the Big Deal in many parts of the country..
coming from states, municipalities, county governments, utilities, and air pollution control districts.

At this point in time.. the dealer discount on a 2016 leaf ( nov 2016) in California is 10,625 bucks
with another $ 4 grand if you lease. If you are shopping for an 2-24 that is a big chunk.

more money in certain geographic areas
more money if you are "low income" $45K yr single $52K yr couple

use the internet to search out these incentives and rebates.

the federal thing.. like I said.. only good if you are relatively rich.. and pay more than $7500 yr in taxes.

---

to put this in perspective.. go look at the "I just got my Leaf" thread started in 2010.
where guys are talking about $450 a month Lease Payments !

Blimpy, you are confusing this Congress with the one that Trump will actually be working with in January - a Republican controlled Congress that will be willing to pass at least most of what he requests. Anyway, I wrote this in the Bolt forum yesterday:

I suggest that people who want to avoid this (the tax credit being eliminated) start working to convince Trump that what's needed instead is a less elitist version of the tax credit. It could be a point of sale rebate, to allow retired people like me, with adequate incomes but not a lot of taxable income, to buy an EV. It could also be limited to or weighted for vehicles produced in the US, to promote American jobs, and it could have an income limit. People who buy a Tesla rarely need the $7500 incentive, while those buying a Leaf or Volt or Bolt usually do. This could also possibly be promoted (although I'd be unwilling to do it) as a way to avoid shutting down newer coal power plants, by reducing urban and suburban vehicle emissions instead. In any case the EV tax credit is in serious, immediate danger.

^ That's a great observation. If Musk has the opportunity to communicate with the incoming administration some thought should be given to what the message might be. It's not like the status quo embodied perfection.

Re Steve Bannon the white supremecist, is this the same guy?

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/16/steve-bannon-could-be-wall-street-worst-enemy.html

On a car forum, all this political mud slinging is out of line...

Trying to demonize Trump for another future "fortune teller" prediction... Keep your crazy-ass doomsday predictions to yourself and go plug in your Leaf....

LTLFTcomposite said:
Sounds like people of color in the financial services industry should quickly align themselves with the communist party just to be safe.

Being communist wasn't protection under Lenin or Stalin. A very long reference to the details.

https://www.amazon.com/Gulag-Archipelago-1918-1956-Experiment-Investigation/dp/0813332893

Oh, and this:

http://www.newsmax.com/US/carl-higbie-defends-muslim-registry/2016/11/17/id/759387/

"Me? What for?"

Of course this can't happen here.

LeftieBiker said:
Blimpy, you are confusing this Congress with the one that Trump will actually be working with in January - a Republican controlled Congress that will be willing to pass at least most of what he requests.
Given the number of Republican senators who were opposed to him, his policies are by no means assured of support - see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Republicans_who_opposed_Donald_Trump_presidential_campaign,_2016#U.S._Senators

With Democrats/Independents holding 48 seats, they only need 3 Republicans to defeat a measure or appointment. While he will undoubtedly get much of what he wants, many of his policies (assuming he has any he'll stick to) are opposed by Republican senators.

With Democrats/Independents holding 48 seats, they only need 3 Republicans to defeat a measure or appointment. While he will undoubtedly get much of what he wants, many of his policies (assuming he has any he'll stick to) are opposed by Republican senators.

The Republicans are already falling into line. None of them want to be Out in the Cold when their party is in control of nearly the entire government. It's true that the Democrats may successfully block a few appointments, but the EV tax credit will NOT be a rallying point. It will go down if Trump wants to kill it, or if his Cabinet convinces him to do it.

^ Or it gets traded for something. Have your EVs and alternative energy in return for not filibustering repeal of the individual mandate.

LTLFTcomposite said:
^ Or it gets traded for something. Have your EVs and alternative energy in return for not filibustering repeal of the individual mandate.

Or traded away for something more valuable. I think EVs have crossed the breakout point. Enough people have one, want one, understand why EVs are better to keep the market for EVs alive. Batteries get better and cheaper. Gasoline price will spike again. And there will likely still be state subsidies.

There are a lot more important things on the table than the EV tax break.

Having only 48 Democratic Senators on the senate is not a significant advantage for the Republicans. It takes 60 votes to invoke cloture so the Democrats can filibuster anything they want. The Republicans used this tactic for years to block almost everything proposed. The only real question is how organized and disciplined the Democrats can be.

Anyway, the real question now isn't subsidies, but infrastructure. Fast DC Charging Stations along the Interstates and in Metro areas are the important thing now. Also remember that VW has a $15 billion DOJ settlement with substantial money set aside for these kinds of projects and that is untouchable by the Republicans.

End subsidies and you hurt GM and other US automakers more than Nissan or Tesla. Tesla has pre-sold enough Model III's to have run out of subsidy money and Nissan isn't far behind. Ford and GM have a lot more to lose if they can't compete in the EV market.

johnlocke said:
Having only 48 Democratic Senators on the senate is not a significant advantage for the Republicans. It takes 60 votes to invoke cloture so the Democrats can filibuster anything they want.

Note that the filibuster rule can be changed at any time by a simple majority.

I expect that this will happen, but not over ending Federal EV subsidies.

powersurge said:
On a car forum, all this political mud slinging is out of line...

Trying to demonize Trump for another future "fortune teller" prediction... Keep your crazy-ass doomsday predictions to yourself and go plug in your Leaf....

For once, I finally agree with one of your posts. :lol:

Although it's amazing how hostile people can get very quickly. I was talking to a coworker, another guy who I don't know walks by, and my coworker says, "Oh hey, this guy has an electric car." The guy's response, to whom I've never met before, quips, "What will you do when all the coal plants get shut down?" Quite a snarky tone to it as well. :roll: I guess me plugging in my car is somehow a threat to his pickup truck?

Back