Don't have an accident!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhwhat

Wow does it cost a lot to repair a Leaf...or worse...GET PARTS!!!!! I had the typical accident...stupid people on the interstate stop for nothing and then the change accident happens. This happen Oct 13 and we still are not sure when the parts will be in.

First it was the main battery cable, only to find out they were national back order with no expected delivery dates. Along with hood latch and several other basic parts. Guess being a new version, there are no stock parts and everything seems to be back ordered. And yes, I took it back to the dealer's shop for them to fix and repair.

Oh, and by the way...each headlight is $986.00. Yes I said each, thank God I have insurance.....

dhwhat said:
Wow does it cost a lot to repair a Leaf...or worse...GET PARTS!!!!! I had the typical accident...stupid people on the interstate stop for nothing and then the change accident happens. This happen Oct 13 and we still are not sure when the parts will be in.

First it was the main battery cable, only to find out they were national back order with no expected delivery dates. Along with hood latch and several other basic parts. Guess being a new version, there are no stock parts and everything seems to be back ordered. And yes, I took it back to the dealer's shop for them to fix and repair.

Oh, and by the way...each headlight is $986.00. Yes I said each, thank God I have insurance.....

Ouch! It pains me to see reports of so many LEAFs being assaulted! Good luck with the repairs. Hope the come up with the parts sooner than anticipated.

All this is why we are not likely to see much of a drop in the actuarial rate for Leaf insurance any time soon...

mwalsh said:
Ouch! It pains me to see reports of so many LEAFs being assaulted! Good luck with the repairs. Hope the come up with the parts sooner than anticipated.

Wow.

For "basic parts" I wonder how much of the basic parts on a Versa were reused for the LEAF. Pretty common for manufacturers to use a lot of common basic parts through their lines.

EVDRIVER said:
And everyone wondered how Nissan would make money on the LEAF.

Toyota is just as bad, especially with Prius parts. If you were to buy all of the parts needed to build your own Toyota Prius the vehicle would would up costing $500,000 or maybe more.. maybe even a million.

LOL!! so anyone possibly thinks the Leaf parts would be cheap?? there is no such thing as cheap parts on any car in its first year of of VERY LIMITED production.

its like getting that special Mustang hood ornament. they only made 5,000 of them to begin with and if you need one it cost a bundle.

and ya, the average warranty repair on a Ford Fusion hybrid is $3,000. my sister is a writer for Lakewood Ford near Tacoma. there are seals and padding kits for various body panels that run $150 PER PANEL and its nothing but those plastic clips and some foam rubber. there are things they have to open to check and that is what it costs to put the car back together.

obtw, if the traction battery is involved, the average cost moves to 10,000+ that is WITHOUT any battery replacements

Well it is amazing...so we find out today they are missing the..frame holder for plug cover and safety latch. They can't seem to find one, so let's see how much longer it will take. 1 1/2 months to get parts is making me start questioning the purchase of the Leaf....

dhwhat said:
Well it is amazing...so we find out today they are missing the..frame holder for plug cover and safety latch. They can't seem to find one, so let's see how much longer it will take. 1 1/2 months to get parts is making me start questioning the purchase of the Leaf....
Who could disagree with your sentiment. You are much more patient than I would be...

TomT said:
All this is why we are not likely to see much of a drop in the actuarial rate for Leaf insurance any time soon...
I actually saw a 15% increase in my insurance bill for the Leaf on the first 6 month renewal. My agent said it was moved to the next highest rate class since I first insured it, likely because of their experience with having to actually repair them ramping up. :evil:

TT

My wife was just hit in our Leaf (on Friday the 13th of all dates!) by a careless driver at a four-way stop. Fortunately nobody was hurt, but our poor little car was. The initial estimate is more than $11,000, and all that from a side impact going 15 mph. Unlike the previous horror stories, they seem to have found all the parts, so that's good. But I would like to hear from anyone else who has had an accident on how long repairs took. I am thinking that this could take a lot longer than expected. I'm also interested in how it was dealing with the mechanics at the dealership to get it inspected after the body work was finished.
Do we think that the Leaf's many computer components are secure in a crash (even a low impact one), or is it very easy for such a complex system to fail in the event of a crash? I'm worried that what makes the car remarkable (all of its computer systems) will also make it vulnerable and permanent flawed after a crash.

Thoughts?

Josh

barsad22 said:
My wife was just hit in our Leaf (on Friday the 13th of all dates!) by a careless driver at a four-way stop. Fortunately nobody was hurt, but our poor little car was. The initial estimate is more than $11,000, and all that from a side impact going 15 mph.

Josh

the other person is footing the bill correct?

as far as electronic damage on a side impact. it could affect the smart entry maybe but other than that, i dont think there is much there to damage.

sorry to hear about the accident. i am guessing the cost of the repair is primarily due to the rarity of replacement parts right now.

A friend had bit of a freak incident involving his Leaf. The repair required replacement of one of the hinges on the front drivers door (no repairs to the door panel itself was required). Insurance cost for replacement part(s) and labor was approximately $700, and it took three weeks to get the replacement hinge. Not fun.

I was rear ended with a small tear in the bumper cover, (no sheet metal) the aluminum bumper and a bracket were slightly bent = $1,800.00, parts took about a week to come in.

I'm not surprised that parts are back ordered. Japan is still recovering from the quake, etc. The Oppama plant is probably taking all the available parts to make new LEAFs rather than sending parts to dealers.

mark13 said:
$1000 per headlight :shock: I may part my Leaf out :lol:
After reading this thread, I am thinking about buying a new Prius, and parting it out! $500,000 for the parts alone? Really? Have to wonder how much each of the parts in the Leaf would get me.

Thanks for the posts... Geico is footing the bill, and they're still investigating liability because the other driver has changed her story and claims she stopped at a stop sign even though she blew right past it. I find it frustrating that even when both drivers are under the same insurance company, Geico must assign two different claim reps who have to act like lawyers and "represent" their clients. How about just getting to the truth of the matter through an investigation of the facts?
It appears that there will be no problem with parts, even though both doors on one side of the car will be completely replaced (and of course air bags must be reset).
I hope other people are right about the car holding up mechanically, we will find out soon, and I'll keep the forum updated.

Best,
Josh

DaveinOlyWA said:
barsad22 said:
My wife was just hit in our Leaf (on Friday the 13th of all dates!) by a careless driver at a four-way stop. Fortunately nobody was hurt, but our poor little car was. The initial estimate is more than $11,000, and all that from a side impact going 15 mph.

Josh

the other person is footing the bill correct?

as far as electronic damage on a side impact. it could affect the smart entry maybe but other than that, i dont think there is much there to damage.

sorry to hear about the accident. i am guessing the cost of the repair is primarily due to the rarity of replacement parts right now.

Back