Driving a 2013 Tekna Leaff

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voiceexp

Hi: I currently have a 2012 Leaf. I drive from Woodhall Spa to Louth Lincolnshire most days. This route has a few steep hills so when driving I am in Eco then when I come to a hill I change to Drive. On the downside I change back to Eco and take my foot of the accelerator pedal to increase the regenerative miles.

I have ordered a new Leak 2013 Tekna which has the B drive. Can anyone tell me how to drive using the 3 options for uphill and then downhill. Regards Conrad

New Update Now have been Driving new Tekna for 2 months
Since using the Tekna I only drive in B mode using the Eco on or off as required. The increase in Regenerative mls is amazing eg start with 95 mls drive 45 and return with 45 mls. No heater on just heated seat travelling at about an avg 50 mph. Journey from Woodhall Spa to Louth in Lincs is quite hilly.

A - not very economical, "electron pedal" is very shallow, doesn't regen aggressively. Best for gearing up to highway speeds
A Eco - Deeper pedal (easier to regulate acceleration), regens more. Best for everyday driving
B - Shallow pedal still, mixed with aggressive regen. Best for.... downhill with the possible need of quick acceleration...? slowing to a stop at lights, etc.
B Eco - Deeper pedal, more aggressive regen. Best for downhills, slowing to a stop at lights

It sounds like you'll want to stay in B mode all of the time, with occasional Eco usage for those times you need more regen and/or to help keep your speed down on steeper hills (gotta watch for those Gatso cameras!).

Many thanks to all. I will take delivery of the Leaf Tekna on Monday and post a message on how I get on. I usually keep notes after a drive Miles done plus Miles left. This will enable me to compare 2012 to 2013. :D

There's really no need to shift to Drive to get up a hill, no matter how steep. There is no more power or torque available in Drive compared to Eco. You just have to move the pedal a bit more.

Nubo said:
There's really no need to shift to Drive to get up a hill, no matter how steep. There is no more power or torque available in Drive compared to Eco. You just have to move the pedal a bit more.

As one who has a 1,000 foot elevation difference between home and work, I can say it's MUCH more comfortable to do long uphill stretches in D as opposed to Eco. While pressing the pedal further in Eco gains the same result, it gets old very quickly, and aside from the HVAC output being reduced slightly in Eco, doesn't really gain you any significant range when you're invoking multiple power circles on the dash display. So I might as well be comfortable and put it in D and give my leg muscles a break.

Now for the downhill stretch, it's Eco the entire way.

RonDawg said:
Nubo said:

As one who has a 1,000 foot elevation difference between home and work, I can say it's MUCH more comfortable to do long uphill stretches in D as opposed to Eco. While pressing the pedal further in Eco gains the same result, it gets old very quickly, and aside from the HVAC output being reduced slightly in Eco, doesn't really gain you any significant range when you're invoking multiple power circles on the dash display. So I might as well be comfortable and put it in D and give my leg muscles a break.

Now for the downhill stretch, it's Eco the entire way.

I know some folks do complain of fatigue or "pressure". Personally I don't notice this, to me it's just one angle vs. another. To each their own, just offering info for those who may be assuming that they'll "run out of power" in Eco mode. My preference for Eco mode is that it makes it easier for me to accurately control speed.

Back