Driving on the grid for greater range - Power Zone concept

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etrans

Consider the fact that all vehicles use far more energy to climb a steep incline than flat running - something like 3 - 4x more. A sustained climb quickly becomes a battery killer in an EV, but with the advantage that (if it makes it to the top) there is a large amount of potential energy now stored by the mass of the vehicle. This is stored "free" in the sense that no additional battery or generator is required, and is returned as rolling propulsion and/or regenerated power into the battery on the downhill. (Another huge advantage of EVs)

So if we could supply direct grid power for these short critical uphill stretches we could gain a very significant range extension for EVs, particularly since some opportunity charging could occur simultaneously (and run climate control too).

The technology for pantographs for locomotives is well developed and could be adapted to cars in the form of a horizontal "power skate" that automatically deploys to contact a Power Zone strip imbedded in the concrete barrier on the left side of the fast lane. At the end of the zone it would fold back into the car body. Car ID and credit card billing would be activated wirelessly. The driver would retain full control of the vehicle and would just have to stay in lane, but could move right at any time. Using the concrete barrier would be less expensive than overhead cable and better than anything installed in the road surface as it would be easier to maintain and keep free of water and debris.

I have written a whole paper on this concept with some real world examples and number runs, PM me and I'll email a copy. Copyrighted as Power Zones.

Actually I am wondering if we could even extend this concept on any freeway and build a 10 mile stretch every 50 miles or so. So you drive 50 miles and get 10 minutes of QC, and that will give you an additional range of 30 miles, maybe ?

True, but the critical spots would be the high current demand areas. Another place it would be handy is on the freeway entry ramps to get you up to speed, catapult style.

It sounds like a good idea, but pantographs don't work very well for a pair of conductors, do they? Unlike a train locomotive, the car wouldn't have a ground rail. As for mkjayakumar's thought, any idea of how much current could be transferred using your "skate", or what voltage would be tolerable? My suspicion is that with a side connection the transfer rate might be limited to a 5-10 kilowatts, which would hardly qualify as a QC. In fact, that wouldn't be enough to power up a steep hill, either, without help. But even a partial boost on a long hill could provide a significant range extension.

I realize that high speed trains must support much higher transfer rates than that, but they can have larger connections and heavy duty springs that push against an immoveable rail. The car's pantograph is going to be pushing it away from the median barrier, and the driver will be continually fighting to steer back toward it. That would seem to result in an inherently unstable electrical connection.

Ray

Good points, it would have to be a dual contact and maintaining enough pressure for good conduction is also important. The design of the skate could incorporate dual contacts and lock on electromagnetically but would have to accomodate a horizontal movement of perhaps 12" before breaking contact, plus a small amount of vertical displacement, maybe 1-2". So a guide mechanism to make contact, then electromagnetic lock-on and a cutoff and retraction mechanism for the end point or if the vehicle exceeds the horizontal limit. Fairly complex but still doable, I think.

This might actually be a good idea in thought, but I simply don't see it happening to to the huge cost and requirement of a complex add-on needed for all EV's that want to use it.

We can't even get a significant number of basic QC's installed, and most of these roads you mention are full of pot holes and are otherwise in need of lots of maintenance that isn't being done as it should.

The cost of adding this, both on the vehicle and the road would be extremely expensive!

I suggest we retrofit overhead catenary lines on all our existing rail lines, and stop using Diesel. Then for long trips, just drive your EV into a railcar. It could arrive at your destination fully charged, and the overall efficiency would be much higher.

-Phil

Phil: I like the way you think! And I agree that this would be a good idea in theory but will never happen due to cost and general infrastructure deterioration.

So the fall back position (battery electric cars and scooters loaded on railcars and sent to their destination on electric trains) would be very acceptable. Except that Amtrak is also being starved to death. BTW, they won't take any gas motors as "luggage" but will take bicycles and, probably, Ebikes.

Phil,
That is an interesting idea. I charge my Leaf, head over to the rail yard where my reserved rail spot is waiting. I drive on, park and walk back to the passenger car. When I arrive in LA, I drive off to my destination. Of course I could just buy a train/plane ticket and rent a Leaf from Enterprise when I get there. Same price i suspect.

Back