eco mode

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
September said:
When you take your foot from pedal on D, car would roll much further than in Eco.
That's why I don't take my foot off the accelerator unless I want a good amount of slowing/regen. Instead, I feather the accelerator. It's actually pretty easy to coast in ECO if you use the energy screen and feather the accelerator. I do it frequently during any drive, unless there is a long downhill, in which case I use neutral.

D is best to move car, and Eco is best to stop or slow down car rather than using friction brakes.
Actually the best way to slow the car is to coast to a stop without using regen or friction brakes. Anything else wastes energy. Of course, sometimes you can't avoid using regen to slow down, but minimizing it is key to efficient driving. It isn't hard to learn to anticipate the traffic/stop lights and avoid using regen whenever possible, and more fun than a video game.

thedak said:
If I wanna get blown off the highway I drive in D.

If I wanna get completely blown off the highway I drive in Eco.
Boy, you will have to explain that to me. I guess I'm pretty slow, slow minded that is. :(

But on the highway, I can go just as fast in ECO as in D, and folks around here rarely exceed 70 - sometimes 75. Last I drove in Pittsburgh, about a year ago, I didn't notice "California" speeds. :eek:

thedak said:
If I wanna get blown off the highway I drive in D.

If I wanna get completely blown off the highway I drive in Eco.

You can reach 94-95 mph (indicated) in either mode, and you can accelerate equally in either mode. The only difference is how far you need to move your foot.

Still new... Still loving my it! Saved two full tanks of gas!

I am not sure if its just the hilly area I live in + winter coldness...But I have not exceeded a 4 mile/kwh avg yet?!
I drive in Eco 99% and really work on coasting regen and reset my cw and dash daily.

How are you folks getting 4.5+ ?

SeattleBlue said:
How are you folks getting 4.5+ ?
  • Accelerate *slowly* in city traffic. Keep it under 20kW on the nav display for uphill, under 10kW otherwise.
  • Try to coast as much as possible. Try NOT to use regen as much as possible.
  • Coast as you approach the crest of hills. Use the energy info screen on your nav to better judge this.
  • On highways, go 55 mph
I can easily get 4.4+ in hilly western PA with this approach.

I used Eco Mode for the first 2 weeks - it was like driving with a parachute hanging out the back. What I found was that as I neared the bottom 1/3 of battery, it started to drop off faster. My observation was 65 miles of eco mode on the freeway used just as much as 65 miles of controlled steady driving in D.

I use Eco to slow down in heavy braking situations (similiar to downshifting). In town Eco seems to make a difference, I haven't had an opportunity to run a full battery in town to see how it compares to my regular commute result.

My advise - set yourself free from Eco mode and enjoy the ability to get through an intersection with a bit of gusto instead of crawling.

I have been consistently getting 6 mi/kwh average per day even with a 1.5 mile 12% grade on the last leg home (averaging 600th overall on Carwings). Accelerate at 10KW on flats, 20KW on grades. there is one block of 18% grade near my home that I cannot climb without 30KW. I drive on ECO most of the time because I will burn rubber if given the opportunity. More pedal resistance reminds me I'm an adult and not racing for pink slips at every light.
You can manage what you measure. Nissan has done a great job with their energy display.

I wish ECO was the default when first shifting to move forward. I get tired of shifting twice every time to get past D

TaylorSFGuy said:
I used Eco Mode for the first 2 weeks - it was like driving with a parachute hanging out the back. What I found was that as I neared the bottom 1/3 of battery, it started to drop off faster. My observation was 65 miles of eco mode on the freeway used just as much as 65 miles of controlled steady driving in D.

I use Eco to slow down in heavy braking situations (similiar to downshifting). In town Eco seems to make a difference, I haven't had an opportunity to run a full battery in town to see how it compares to my regular commute result.

My advise - set yourself free from Eco mode and enjoy the ability to get through an intersection with a bit of gusto instead of crawling.

LEAF regen is pathetically weak compared ro some EVs. Getting through an intersection fast has nothing to do with D or ECO, they are exactly the same. The use and benefit of ECo is relative to driving style , quick stops, heater use, etc.

Stoaty said:
September said:
When you take your foot from pedal on D, car would roll much further than in Eco.
That's why I don't take my foot off the accelerator unless I want a good amount of slowing/regen. Instead, I feather the accelerator. It's actually pretty easy to coast in ECO if you use the energy screen and feather the accelerator. I do it frequently during any drive, unless there is a long downhill, in which case I use neutral.
+1! This is exactly what I do. The nice thing about Eco is that if you hold the A pedal in the same spot it will keep precisely the same power level, including "neutral" (zero), regardless of terrain changes.

This is what single pedal driving is all about and Eco is as close as the LEAF gets.

Regarding video game aspect....

http://ksnogas.blogspot.com/2012/10/its-giant-video-game.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ksnogas.blogspot.com/2012/10/its-video-game-part-second.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TaylorSFGuy said:
Guys, seriously, eco mode does NOT limit your acceleration. It just requires you to push the pedal down farther. You're imagining a difference that just isn't there.

TaylorSFGuy said:
I do not feel imprisoned by Eco mode--I enjoy the challenge of driving efficiently. However, on the rare occasion when I feel the need to zip through an intersection so as not to miss a green light, Eco mode does not disappoint. You can get the full 80 kw any time you need it.

garsh said:
TaylorSFGuy said:
Guys, seriously, eco mode does NOT limit your acceleration. It just requires you to push the pedal down farther. You're imagining a difference that just isn't there.
No argument - ECO will do the job. But if it feels better zipping around in D, then do it. I do - it puts a little spring in my step, and Lord knows, at my age I need it. ;)

Bill

Back