ECOtality Level 2 charger : Blink

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy said:
Here's a weird one....My Blink has the auto daylight-savings time settings turned on. On the Blink screen, the time is correct. If I use my browser to access the Blink, the time is 1 hour ahead...

Anyone else?

Yep. me too.

dyhopper said:
Randy said:
Here's a weird one....My Blink has the auto daylight-savings time settings turned on. On the Blink screen, the time is correct. If I use my browser to access the Blink, the time is 1 hour ahead...

Anyone else?

Yep. me too.

Same here. Firmware is L2R.1.2a since it was installed last Wed.

WWBD said:
I posted this earlier in the week but maybe no one saw it. My Blink screen has turned a solid green most of the time. Anyone else experiencing the same?

I have not seen this issue yet. I wonder if that could be a display connector issue?

CAUTION:
Some PUs use TOU meters that change to DST on the OLD dates, not the NEW dates.

So, your Super-Off-Peak window might be 1 to 6 AM now (and for about the next 3 ?? weeks), instead of 12 to 5 AM.

Hello,
Got my Blink EVSE today, 2 hour install, same as the CC. It connected to my WiFi easily and seems to be working perfectly. The box it came in had "updated" written in marker on the outside. Supposedly there is a new revision being used now. I'll see if I can find a revision number on a screen somewhere. Cord is #10, smaller and more flexible than CC but shorter.

On Edit: Blink rev# L2R.1.2A

derekjsmith said:
We have only had our Blink since Wednesday a couple of days and it has yet to complete a timed charge overnight. So our electrical contractor and Blink are going to replace our unit first thing Monday morning.

So far the replacement unit has not rebooted repeatedly like the first one did. It still has issues with my WiFi but that should be fixed with a PLC. The firmware is the same as before L2R.1.2A.

Ok, one anomaly of the Blink unit resolved, although it didn't fix the main problems I am having:

The SSID of my wireless network here at my house was called "J&J's Network". All my computers see "J&J's Network" and my iPhone sees "J&J's Network". But the Blink unit would only see "J" and nothing else. If I manually configured it with "J&J's Network", everything worked just fine.

So tonight I renamed my network SSID to simply "JJsNetwork" and low and behold, the Blink now sees "JJsNetwork"!

Apparently, the Blink will choke on special characters like "&" etc. So if you're getting a Blink unit and have special characters in your wireless SSID, remove them for easier setup.

My other problems continue to be worked on by the techs...... ;)

I have the Aero EVSE (cash&carry in Dec), but was accepted to the eTec program and will have the Blink installed tomorrow.
Based on this thread, it seems that the Blink has some kinks. Do you guys suggest I keep the Aero connected as a backup unit?

Jimmydreams said:
Ok, one anomaly of the Blink unit resolved, although it didn't fix the main problems I am having:

The SSID of my wireless network here at my house was called "J&J's Network". All my computers see "J&J's Network" and my iPhone sees "J&J's Network". But the Blink unit would only see "J" and nothing else. If I manually configured it with "J&J's Network", everything worked just fine.

So tonight I renamed my network SSID to simply "JJsNetwork" and low and behold, the Blink now sees "JJsNetwork"!

Apparently, the Blink will choke on special characters like "&" etc. So if you're getting a Blink unit and have special characters in your wireless SSID, remove them for easier setup.

Fabio said:
I have the Aero EVSE (cash&carry in Dec), but was accepted to the eTec program and will have the Blink installed tomorrow.
Based on this thread, it seems that the Blink has some kinks. Do you guys suggest I keep the Aero connected as a backup unit?

Jimmydreams said:

Dump the crap AV unit and get the blink, the Blink is far better and the bugs are being fixed, the AV unit is made as cheap as possible.

Jimmydreams said:
Jimmydreams, your situation (A LEAFer who needs the 100% charge every night) is just the sort of thing I was worried about with the current Blink firmware. Mine has failed to charge on at least one night a week but my symptoms are different; when it fails, charging never starts at the 12:20am schedule. I just wake up to no email from the LEAF saying "Charging Complete" and know that I have a Power Fault error screen with a sick cricket sound emanating from the Blink. In my case, I just reset the Blink and have enough charge after an hour to get to work and back. But, they gotta fix this b.s. Maybe until they do, you should go off charge timer (and TOU) and just charge immediately?

sparky said:
Jimmydreams said:
Jimmydreams, your situation (A LEAFer who needs the 100% charge every night) is just the sort of thing I was worried about with the current Blink firmware. Mine has failed to charge on at least one night a week but my symptoms are different; when it fails, charging never starts at the 12:20am schedule. I just wake up to no email from the LEAF saying "Charging Complete" and know that I have a Power Fault error screen with a sick cricket sound emanating from the Blink. In my case, I just reset the Blink and have enough charge after an hour to get to work and back. But, they gotta fix this b.s. Maybe until they do, you should go off charge timer (and TOU) and just charge immediately?

The first time I wake up to an uncharged Leaf, I'll go to manual charging. The first time THAT fails, I'll ask for a new unit.

The Blink unit is a GREAT box and they've hooked it up with some great features. But it seems some of the units are buggy....so is this a result of bad firmware or bad quality control at the build factory remains to be seen. We also don't know how many Blinks are out in the wild with Leafs that are performing perfectly....we only read of the problems. I am off work the rest of the week, and have offered to work closely with their tech people to track down as many of these issues as possible. But talking to them live on the phone saying "Ok, the screen says next charging at 10PM" and then I plug in the car and charging starts immediately, well, they know something is wrong. Maybe with their tech people reading my unit logs real-time we can make some headway.

Hopefully, we can fix these bugs earlier rather than later. ;)

I've only used the Aero charger for 3 days, but I have not woken up with an empty LEAF yet ;)
EVDRIVER said:
Dump the crap AV unit and get the blink, the Blink is far better and the bugs are being fixed, the AV unit is made as cheap as possible.

I have yet to have one problem of any kind with my Blink.

Jimmydreams said:
The Blink unit is a GREAT box and they've hooked it up with some great features. But it seems some of the units are buggy....so is this a result of bad firmware or bad quality control at the build factory remains to be seen. We also don't know how many Blinks are out in the wild with Leafs that are performing perfectly....we only read of the problems.

Today had an interesting problem. When I connected the cable, Blink didn't go into Charging mode - nor did Leaf do the communicating & serial blinking.

After a couple tries to make sure the plug was inserted correctly, I recycled Blink. Then they behaved normally when I plugged it in.

Its a surprise for me today ...

I got a call this evening from eTec about the Sign-off for the agreement. I was told they sent several emails to me for E-sign but some how I never recieved them. They again re-sent the Agreement , I signed-off and in about 15min I have recieved a mail for setting up appointment, I had an option for installation on Mar'17 & Mar'30 .. Mar'17 to be too close I chose Mar'30 .. I thought I never going to get a eTec charger installed .. This is a big news for me before my expected leaf delivery on Apr'06 .. as of today ..

My Blink is to be installed tomorrow, March 17, at 4 pm. Wilson Electric is doing the installation. Since it was impossible for me to take a day off work this week and my partner is gone to Manitoba on business, they were very accommodating scheduling a late afternoon 4 - 8 pm installation. I hope it goes well. I know nothing about our wireless, Apple Airport Extreme, so hope the installer does.

Azrich said:
My Blink is to be installed tomorrow, March 17, at 4 pm. Wilson Electric is doing the installation. Since it was impossible for me to take a day off work this week and my partner is gone to Manitoba on business, they were very accommodating scheduling a late afternoon 4 - 8 pm installation. I hope it goes well. I know nothing about our wireless, Apple Airport Extreme, so hope the installer does.

Good luck with the install. Mine was installed last friday. Install part was fairly painless, but I still do not have the meter, thus Blink in not blinking. I called and was transsferred to 7 diffrent people to find out the status of the second meter, but got no answers. In the end I just got tired of getting the run-around and just gave up. It will get here when it will get here (just like the LEAF). :roll:

Blnk! Blnk!

My Blink is being installed this morning. The installation is being done by Kortman Electric.

The installer provided two Owner's Manuals. The L2_R_1.5 dated 12/20/2010 and the updated L2_R_1.8 dated 2/15/2011. The firmware is the later version.

I will post some pictures later today, when the installation is complete.

Back