ECOtality Level 2 charger : Blink

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sparky said:
drees said:
Nice - does it let you set TOU rates as well?
Yup. I can't set the rates to anything but '0' with this version though.
Hopefully they let you set more than 2 rates - most TOU rates have at least 3 different time periods and also shift between summer/winter rates.

Just got my Blink installed. Supposed to be the first fresh install of Blink (not a changeover from CC).

Everything looks fine - except it is not connectng to ecotality. It connectes to my home network (shows signal strength pass and ip address acquired as pass - but rest failures). Ecotality CSR said keep hitting refresh - it will connect. But it doesn't. I've not called the CSR after the installers left, yet. Any ideas ?

evnow said:
Just got my Blink installed. Supposed to be the first fresh install of Blink (not a changeover from CC).

Everything looks fine - except it is not connectng to ecotality. It connectes to my home network (shows signal strength pass and ip address acquired as pass - but rest failures). Ecotality CSR said keep hitting refresh - it will connect. But it doesn't. I've not called the CSR after the installers left, yet. Any ideas ?

Firewall issue on your router?
Encryption?

jcesare said:
Try turning off all encryption at both ends to eliminate that as a possibility.
I could try that. One thing I tried was entering wrong pwd - in which case the wi-fi network/signal strength was Fail as was the IP acquired. That shows Blink is talking to my router. Also I can see the Blink as a client in the router and I've its MAC number ...

If all web communication is initiated by the Blink EVSE, then Port Routing in your "gateway" Router is probably not needed.

However, if some communication is initiated from the web, then setting the Router to watch for the inbound port number, and send the message to the Blink's LAN IP address is probably necessary.

Does the Gateway address in the Blink appear to be correct?

Or, the system that the Blink is trying to reach is down, has no DNS, or does not respond to your particular Blink's login attempt.

The Blink getting a LAN IP address from your Router means that the WiFi encryption (WEP or ?) is unlikely to be the problem, since the Blink is communicating with the DHCP (presumably in your Router).

Talked to CSR and we tried a bunch of things (Like trying WPA2 instead of just WPA etc). From the router log it looks like there is a communication problems - and I see some errors on blink as well in the log. CSR wanted me to try a few more things - but no time today. Need to head back to work ...

Just got my Blink installed here in Oregon. They ended up filming the install as well as some other stuff. My car is in the shop, but PDXLeafer saved the day by driving his Leaf over to my place for the video. Thanks PDFLeafer!

They told me specifically to NOT hook up to my wifi yet. Not sure why.

dyhopper said:
Interesting.

They are supposed to finally use powerline communications - but that is a sometime away ...

I'm wondering if anyone has thought about putting one of these throw switches prior to the Blink. And only turn on the blink during charging. I'm not sure how the software works but I would assume it would connect as soon as it powers up. I was going to purchase one prior to the EVP electrican showing up and have him/her install it then.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SIEMENS-Safety-Switch-6FNF2?Pid=search

The standby power is a big concern especially being on a TOU rate for the second EVSE meter.

syntaxerror said:
I'm wondering if anyone has thought about putting one of these throw switches prior to the Blink. And only turn on the blink during charging. I'm not sure how the software works but I would assume it would connect as soon as it powers up. I was going to purchase one prior to the EVP electrican showing up and have him/her install it then.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SIEMENS-Safety-Switch-6FNF2?Pid=search

The standby power is a big concern especially being on a TOU rate for the second EVSE meter.

First, you should atleast get a higher powered one (40 amps) so that it can handle 6.6kwh charging in the future.

Second, Blink will take some time to boot up and sync with the network. You have to also go through some of the initial on-boot routines like screen calibration, I think.

Third, you could achieve the same result by switching off at the breaker ;)

I think it would be far more fruitful to press ecotality to come up with a sleep state which consumes less power.

BTW, I talked to the ecotaligy guy about the zomby power and he said he will enquire. He was surprised it could be a couple of weeks worth of driving.

evnow said:
Third, you could achieve the same result by switching off at the breaker ;)
I'm a GC, not an electrician, so take this advice as you may. Unless your breaker is rated SWD (Switch Duty) it's not meant to be used as an everyday switch. Even then, it's not the best idea. It will serve the purpose, but a breaker has limited cycle life and its intended purpose is primarily for safety and service disconnect.

A far better solution woud be for the Blink not to use so darn much zombie juice! :)

Glenn

Glenn said:
I'm a GC, not an electrician, so take this advice as you may. Unless your breaker is rated SWD (Switch Duty) it's not meant to be used as an everyday switch. Even then, it's not the best idea. It will serve the purpose, but a breaker has limited cycle life and its intended purpose is primarily for safety and service disconnect.
Ofcourse - that is the reason for the ;) at the end.

As I said, the best way to handle this is to press Ecotality to come up with ways to save on power and do a firmware upgrade for everyone.

According to those who have measured it, it is about 12 watts. I refuse to lose any sleep over 12 stinkin' watts for 2/3 of the day! I don't care what it adds up to over 4 eons.

syntaxerror said:

dyhopper said:
Just got my Blink installed here in Oregon. They ended up filming the install as well as some other stuff. My car is in the shop, but PDXLeafer saved the day by driving his Leaf over to my place for the video. Thanks PDFLeafer!

Glad to help, and nice to meet the other local LEAF owner :) So, do you think I should hire out as a director now? Need to call Van Sant and see if he needs some help :lol:

Back