Electric drive vehicle credit 8936 decreased/rejected by IRS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gascant said:
I filed on 4/1

Is 4/1 when you filed initially or filed the additional to get the full return? The IRS is supposed to contact you in 45 days if to do nothing other than to ask for an additional 45 days (went through 2 rounds of 45 days myself). If they haven't I would send certified mail and call to get status as something might have been lost in the mix.

I agree with others that this really needs to be resolved to increase adoption.

gascant said:
mwalsh said:
GoingGreener said:
Everytime this thread gets updated, we check the IRS website for our status. :roll: Our's haven't changed since 04/18/12 ...received... still processing.....

I do the same thing, with the same result.
Ditto.
I emailed my contact at Nissan again to see if they were able to find out anything. So far, no response.
I filed on 4/1

x3. Still in processing and still waiting for Sept 15 to see if the IRS meets their deadline on my response. I haven't even been able to convince them to refund the amount not in dispute. What a mess.

Cinnabar said:
What a mess.
That sums it up. Interest being paid. IRS Labor being paid. Taxpayers waiting on funds made illiquid... With better thought out cross checks and certification, could have been much smoother. I got my rebate entitlement a few months ago, but feel the pain of those who would rather have the money in their account.

Cinnabar said:
x3. Still in processing and still waiting for Sept 15 to see if the IRS meets their deadline on my response I haven't even been able to convince them to refund the amount not in dispute. What a mess.
I will add a brief plug for the TurboTax Audit defense option. I think I pay $45 each year for this. First time I've used it.
They handled everything, with the same person handling my claim from start to finish. Minimal docs from me. Kept me updated as best they could. I never had to call the IRS.

I have to wonder if going through all the trouble of proving that AMT/TMT limitations did not apply to the $7500 tax credit was even necessary. After responding to the CP notice (by mailing it back) with many pages of highlighted and annotated materials (http://goo.gl/l3w8W" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) the credit eventually did get deposited in my account. No call to the IRS was needed (though I did call to find out that I only needed to mail back the CP notice).

Makes me wonder. If I had mailed back my CP notice, simply responding the way my 4 year old does to most everything I say to him... "No it's not" ... and including nothing else in the response, would the same thing have happened? probably, lol.

tzzhc4 said:
gascant said:
I filed on 4/1

Is 4/1 when you filed initially or filed the additional to get the full return? The IRS is supposed to contact you in 45 days if to do nothing other than to ask for an additional 45 days (went through 2 rounds of 45 days myself). If they haven't I would send certified mail and call to get status as something might have been lost in the mix.

I agree with others that this really needs to be resolved to increase adoption.
Original filing date.
What CP Numbers are people receiving? Or have received?
I think it's high time that I called the IRS again.

Update:

It's now 105 days since my CP18 letter receipt, 117 days since I actually received the letter. Called and spoke to the IRS again, which confirmed that yes, my case was still "in transit" which is code for "in limbo". I did find out which office my case was being handled out of (Ogden, UT) and the examiner I spoke to did indeed confirm the refund was being held up due to the $7500 credit claimed. She also said that they (the IRS) was running out of time to reply and that my case hadn't even been assigned a case number yet. She wouldn't expand upon what she meant, but I'm thinking it has to do with the 120 day limit that was mentioned by someone else in this thread. As a result, she was kicking it upstairs to her boss and said that I should hear something from someone in 3-5 business days (I'm not holding my breath). She did also give me a fax number to the Ogden office, should I want to write a letter and supply documentation now that I've confirmed this IS the issue holding my refund up. It "might" help move things along she said. So that's the next step....sigh....

BTW, I also called the Taxpayer Advocate two weeks ago and after a long discussion they basically said they could not open a case due to extreme backlog and that my refund was not a matter of financial life or death. A bit more prodding and he finally admitted (as a public employee should have) that if I "insisted" a case be opened, he could open a case, but that it likely would be put at the bottom of the pile. I said fine, do it and got assigned to my local advocate office with instructions to call after 8/28 (today). So tomorrow I will nudge them as well.

Update:

Just got a call from a Mrs. Guerrero. She has all my paperwork, but can't read a thing on the sales contract. Doesn't really surprise me - blue ink on yellow paper, faxed to boot. So she's asking me to send her another, more legible copy, ASAP, because "she needs to get this thing out of here". Me too, Mrs. Guerrero, me too! :?

Oh, and I asked her if it would be worthwhile to fax her a copy of my vehicle registration too, and she said yes.

I'm dealing with the same woman at the Fresno examiner's office. I had to fax the contract 4 times. Then, they still couldn't get the system to recognize the VIN. Then they had me send the registration. Now, the advocate states that my case has been cleared and I should get my whole refund (credit for LEAF and half of my mortgage deduction). I'll believe it when I see the money!

Still in limbo. No contact at all yet from the IRS, so Turbo Tax Audit Defense cannot do anything until I hear from them and they state not to call them direct.....time keep ticking, ticking, ticking.....

On Tuesday, it will be more than 5 months since I originally filed. I suppose I'll be on the phone with them next week.
As an aside, if you want to get IRS recognition/certification of non-profit status (i.e., 501(c)(3) corporation), you're looking at a 9-11 month wait. They are just now processing applications from November, 2011.

GeekEV said:
If you don't even have a $7,500 tax liability the issue is that you're not rich ENOUGH. Which, granted, is a little oxymoronic.

As for the earlier comments about Turbo Tax telling you you could get the credit and then having the IRS reject part of it - if that happens you need to raise the issue to Turbo Tax. They guarantee accurate calculations...

When I filed I paid the turbo tax fee for representing me in the case that was an audit or problem with my filing. I'm sure this insurance is a partial scam, but too much money was on the line without having some legal representation in case things went awry. Fortunately I got my check no problems.

Well chasing the IRS relentlessly did get me somewhere. A taxpayer advocate from Ogden, UT called me right before labor day and said she got handed my case - (not Oakland, CA as I was advised). Since I already knew the office, the issue and what was needed, I sent it over to her immediately.

Now the IRS had a 6-day Labor Day weekend due to some system upgrade or other BS, so the acceptance of the documents in IRS hands didn't happen until last Wednesday, 9/5 to which I was told they have 3 business days to respond to the advocate - so today basically. Crossing my fingers that I'll hear something this week then it should be another 7-14 days to cut a check in a best case scenario.

Regardless, the IRS now has a month to close out the case my advocate said, so in the worst (likely?) case I'll see my refund in the middle of October?

YAAY! Status changed as of the last couple of days to read:

"Your tax refund is scheduled to be direct deposited on September 12, 2012. If your refund is not credited to your account by September 17, 2012, check with your bank to find out if it has been received. Please wait until September 17, 2012 before you contact us again because we are unable to take any action until then." :mrgreen:

Oh, and I made $2.07 interest on the $174 they owed me. :D

Finally! After another hour on the phone with the examiner's office yesterday, I was assured that my case was, in fact, closed on August 28. I called because I received a letter stating that they were reviewing my case and would contact me by Nov 5(!) to update me on the status.

The examiner's office said that between 9/12 and 9/24, I would receive my refund. Well, today I checked and my refund was in my account... along with $178.09 in interest. So, for not receiving my refund for 5 months and spending about 15 hours on the phone, at least I got a tiny reward for my efforts!

Good luck to everyone still waiting. I highly recommend pursuing your IRS taxpayer advocate office. It's a governemnt service we all pay for already, so I would make use of it. It should not have taken this long to get us our refunds!

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Advocate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

YAAY! Congratulations, TRULY happy for those of you getting results!

Hoping for a stroke of luck yesterday, called IRS and talked to someone at the regular number. Got transferred to the Exam Dept. Then was given the phone number to the Taxpayer Advocate Dept. None of them could determine the status of our return or confirm that they received the certified mail of our Nissan "Retail Installment Sale Contract" (USPS Track & Confirm shows delivery on July 2, 2012).

I told the IRS Exam Dept rep that I didn't have a "bucket list", but it's starting to feel like I need one to list our 2011 federal refund. He chuckled...

Lkmtleaf said:
Good luck to everyone still waiting. I highly recommend pursuing your IRS taxpayer advocate office. It's a governemnt service we all pay for already, so I would make use of it. It should not have taken this long to get us our refunds!

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Advocate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

Thanks for your good wishes Lkmtleaf.
The rep in the Taxpayer Advocate Dept. spent alot of time typing in info from me. I'm suppose to get a call back. "When" is the unknown.

mwalsh said:
YAAY! Got my money today too. Just glad the whole ordeal is over with!

Congratulations. I think you were a week or so ahead of me in this wonderful process, so hopefully mine will break in the next week. The IRS had promised to contact me with their resolution by Sept 15 and their full window to complete this mess closes October 2nd.

Updated:

One of those asked to provide Manufacturer's Certification, whatever that is.

e-filed with Turbotax: Feb 11
Return accepted by IRS: Feb 12
Notified of audit via mail: June 25
Faxed Response: July 1
Response accepted by IRS: July 2
Confirmed fax associated with my account: July 11
Letter received from IRS saying they are reviewing my response: August 1
Letter says I should receive a reply from IRS by September 15
Checked Refund Status on Sept 15: Your tax refund is scheduled to be direct deposited on September 19, 2012

Looks like I also have accumulated $167 in interest. Ahh, the end may be in sight!

I wonder what the administration costs that could have been lessened had the implementation of the program been accomplished with basic verification controls, checks, and balances--instead of several IRS agents poring over the returns? It seems like the taxpayer might have gotten better return for their support in general....

Back