Email about home charger installation evaluation ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrangerTides

Hi folks,

New here, just curious if anyone who's reserved a Leaf has already been contacted about getting an electrical evaluation for home charger installation. Being on the "reserved" list, we should get an email on this without taking any action, right?

Just want to make sure - thanks for any info!

In response to my "240v EVSE installed Plug-In" question, I got an email from AeroVironment (maker of the "Nissan-branded" EVSE).

The person said that the EVSE will only be installed hard-wired, since Section 625.13 of the 2008 NEC (National Electrical Code) required anything over 125v to be hard-wired.

I replied to point out to him that 625.13 DOES allow other units to be NOT hard-wired.

I will report on the next email from AV.

garygid said:
In response to my "240v EVSE installed Plug-In" question, I got an email from AeroVironment (maker of the "Nissan-branded" EVSE).

The person said that the EVSE will only be installed hard-wired, since Section 625.13 of the 2008 NEC (National Electrical Code) required anything over 125v to be hard-wired.

I replied to point out to him that 625.13 DOES allow other units to be NOT hard-wired.

Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of hard-wired versus non?

Thanks.

Chris

i'm in ny and i got an email saying they would give further info in june. i spoke to the local nissan dealer and he said the same thing, would include info about the charger installation. and since a leaf here will probably be spring 2011 at the earliest, i expect that home charger installation will not be too soon.
but i am hoping to get sooner than later, because i think that it's installation will be a factor in whether i get an 'early' leaf or not.
good luck

Yes, Nissan keeps saying they are going to email us by June 30 to give us direction about the home assessments. I read in my dealer's notebook that the assessment will cost us $100. That is the first I had heard about a cost for the assessments. :roll:

garygid said:

gary,

http://www.servicesolutions.spx.com/pdf/EVSE_Presentation_NAIAS.pdf

point them to this PDF presentation by their "competition" (SPX), on page 19 of 32, it cleary shows:

"Wall Plug: NEMA 14-50P"

that sure sounds like hardwiring is not a requirement to me. I am prewiring my garage with a NEMA 14-50R, on a 50A 2 pole breaker, I will point and even provide them a 50A "UL Listed 6' range cord with a 14-50P", and say, "wire this in to your EVSE, thanks"

bradford said:
i'm in ny and i got an email saying they would give further info in june. i spoke to the local nissan dealer and he said the same thing, would include info about the charger installation. and since a leaf here will probably be spring 2011 at the earliest, i expect that home charger installation will not be too soon.
but i am hoping to get sooner than later, because i think that it's installation will be a factor in whether i get an 'early' leaf or not.
good luck.
You want to go ahead with the EVSE installation this summer or fall regardless of when you expect to get your Leaf.
1) A 240v EVSE from any manufacturer will work with almost any future electrical car.
- That even includes the Chevy Volt.
2) You get a 50% rebate from Uncle Sam, but only if you install he EVSE before the end of this year.

planet4ever said:
2) You get a 50% rebate from Uncle Sam, but only if you install he EVSE before the end of this year.

If the new EV bill passes, that will get extended. Chances are high of passing (bipartisan bill).

Ah, I had missed that. The text of the bill is not yet available on THOMAS, but the summary posted by the sponsors says:
All Americans would continue to be eligible for the electric vehicle tax credit, which reduces the prices of an electric vehicle by up to $7500, and additionally, tax credits of the costs of purchase and installation of electric vehicle charging equipment for individuals (up to $2000) or businesses (up to $50,000 for multiple equipment purchases) would be extended.
Which is a bit odd, since the current charging equipment incentive is a rebate, not a tax credit.

Answer from AeroVironment:

"The home charging dock was designed for wall or pole mounting.
It was UL tested for permanent connection only.
Thank you for writing to us"

Now, they claim that the UL "testing" of their EVSE is good for permanent connection only.

If true, I did not know that UL "listings" were issued with that kind of power-connection restriction.

At UL, Look for AeroVironment:
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.html

AV EVSE at UL seems to be (from 2008?) for Models Posicharge-240 (PC60100-240), Posicharge-480 (PC60100-480):
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name=FFTG.E189046&ccnshorttitle=Electric+Vehicle+Charging+System+Equipment&objid=1074868703&cfgid=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073986559&sequence=1

planet4ever said:
You want to go ahead with the EVSE installation this summer or fall regardless of when you expect to get your Leaf.
1) A 240v EVSE from any manufacturer will work with almost any future electrical car.
- That even includes the Chevy Volt.

Looking at the tax form instructions, I'm not clear on whether I'd be eligible, even if I DID install this year. The instructions state that the equipment must be put "in service" during the tax year. If I install the EVSE in 2010, but don't get the car until 2011, does that still qualify as putting the equipment "in service"? Or would I have to test drive a Leaf to my house for a few minutes of charging? :lol:

Seriously though, does anyone know if this will be a sticking point?

Often, "in service" means installed, inspected, permitted, totally functional, and turned ON.

Probably not necessary for the "gas" station to actually sell any e-fuel from the "pump" for it to be considered "in service".

But, in this case, ... who knows.

Nubo said:
If I install the EVSE in 2010, but don't get the car until 2011, does that still qualify as putting the equipment "in service"? Or would I have to test drive a Leaf to my house for a few minutes of charging? :lol:

Seriously though, does anyone know if this will be a sticking point?
Nah, I'll just rig up that J1772 cell phone charger adapter. Then it's "in service".

garygid said:
If true, I did not know that UL "listings" were issued with that kind of power-connection restriction.

Hung up on 'listing' conspiracy dude? ;) UL says that:

"UL is the trusted resource across the globe for product safety certification and compliance solutions.

Benefiting a range of customers - from manufacturers and consumers to regulatory bodies and code officials - we've tested products for public safety for more than a century."

Here's five pages of EVSE, EV cables, connectors, battery info, and test/evaluation guides for electric vehicles:
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/cgifind.new/LISEXT/1FRAME/srchres.html

The guide pages listed on pages 2 and 3 of the above link break down the types of testing they perform on complete assemblies and individual components. For example, individual connectors (IE J1772 round and square) are tested for outdoor use "primarily to provide a degree of protection against rain, sleet and windblown dust, and to provide for operation of external mechanisms when ice-laden (type 3S)."

The UL docs say that EVSE is evaluated in conjunction with the National Electric Code. I would expect a company to define the use of the device when it's submitted to the UL for testing. If an EVSE isn't submitted for portable use, I don't expect the UL to approve it for that use.

We'll have to figure out who makes Nissan's L1 EVSE and see how it's certified by UL.

Andy

The bundled UK EVSE, if it's any different from the Japanese one, will be 230V. I suppose it's even possible the US version will be 240V tolerant but not advertised as such. It wouldn't be any big deal, design-wise.

Bicster said:
The bundled UK EVSE, if it's any different from the Japanese one, will be 230V. I suppose it's even possible the US version will be 240V tolerant but not advertised as such. It wouldn't be any big deal, design-wise.

"220....221, whatever it takes"*

*my favorite line from 'Mr. Mom"

Back