End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
collinobremski said:
What kind of promos are you seeing on 2016's?

I would check your local area but

LEAF Deals Oct 2016.jpg

This is in OR but at least one WA dealer says they can match or beat that so yeah, its time to reload. I want longer range and 30 kwh helps but not really what I want but if Nissan is going to give them away, I will take it.

Just called to check in on my 2012 SL 2 year lease with two 1 year extensions which is ending December 23rd.

I may have missed the boat. Currently they state that there are no buy out reductions or lease extensions available.

I guess I will call again on November 1 and December 1.

LeftieBiker said:
Contact your dealer about buying it out through them.

I'm not convinced dealer would do anything beyond NMAC is offering.
Market price is way below than residuals, so there's no way dealer will pass any savings (if there's any) from NMAC to customers.

For example, my 2013 SV with 45000+ miles got $6500 offer from CarMax. Residual was $14000+ (41%, 3yr/15k)
I wish I had taken $7500 off NMAC offer back in April.
Missed the train, and returned SV back to a dealership.

electromotive said:
Dave! Have you seen what Dublin Nissan is leasing 2016s for?
Drive a ways. Save a lot.
Heck only 800 miles, or so, from Oly.
Can you say "car trailer"?

don't need a car trailer. OR has one of THE most developed public charging networks in the country! besides I used their ad for one of my blogs

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2016/10/nissan-strategy-shift.html

but I will be going for the yet to be confirmed 40ish kwh LEAF!

We really wanted to keep our MY2013SL but the current offerings are not acceptable. Our lease was up 9/6/16 so we were able to get a 6-month extension, with the hope that the discount would again go over $7k to bring the buy-out in line with value.

Now we need to go through the dealer which has a greater incentive to have us drive off the lot with a MY2016 and let Nissan take the loss on the lease return. On 9/6/16 they gave us a GREAT deal on a MY2016SL which looked exactly like our 2013 for $130 per month less. So much for waiting to see what the October discount was going to be. Now when I asked the dealer, they tell me I can only get $4,000 discount, $500 less than last month. Talking with Nissan finance this morning I was told that they expect the return negotiation to stay with the dealer for now on.

Has anyone else found a dealer that is offering anything reasonable for the buy-out discount? Like I said, $7,000 is the minimum we need, but would like to get at least $7,500 or more.

Graffi said:
We really wanted to keep our MY2013SL but the current offerings are not acceptable. Our lease was up 9/6/16 so we were able to get a 6-month extension, with the hope that the discount would again go over $7k to bring the buy-out in line with value.

Now we need to go through the dealer which has a greater incentive to have us drive off the lot with a MY2016 and let Nissan take the loss on the lease return. On 9/6/16 they gave us a GREAT deal on a MY2016SL which looked exactly like our 2013 for $130 per month less. So much for waiting to see what the October discount was going to be. Now when I asked the dealer, they tell me I can only get $4,000 discount, $500 less than last month. Talking with Nissan finance this morning I was told that they expect the return negotiation to stay with the dealer for now on.

Has anyone else found a dealer that is offering anything reasonable for the buy-out discount? Like I said, $7,000 is the minimum we need, but would like to get at least $7,500 or more.

This was my fear. The dealerships around Atlanta make you feel like you just jumped into a shark tank when you get out the car and I don't want to deal with it. Guess I'll just ride it out till my lease is up in February and see if the incentives return from NMAC or I'll just turn it back in as the residual is already currently $4500 over the used market without considering the repaired $18K rear end damage it had in the first month of the lease.

Two-year lease on 2015 LEAF S just ended and I was offered buyout OTD $10,200 from one of Nissan dealerships in Atlanta. Is this a reasonable buyout price?

skashia said:
Two-year lease on 2015 LEAF S just ended and I was offered buyout OTD $10,200 from one of Nissan dealerships in Atlanta. Is this a reasonable buyout price?

I'm in the same situation in Atlanta, but with a December end date. Can you share the details by private message if necessary?

kmand said:
skashia said:

I'm in the same situation in Atlanta, but with a December end date. Can you share the details by private message if necessary?

I am also starting to look for a buyout in Atlanta and would love to have details!

P71VIC said:
Just called to check in on my 2012 SL 2 year lease with two 1 year extensions which is ending December 23rd.

I may have missed the boat. Currently they state that there are no buy out reductions or lease extensions available.

I guess I will call again on November 1 and December 1.

I would keep calling NMAC, like once a week and perhaps especially near the end of the month. Their offers have changed wildly over the last 6 months, and might again! Good Luck.

skashia said:
Does it have the charge package (adds CHAdeMO inlet and upgrades on-board charger to 6.6 kW)?

Update from today, Saturday, 10/15/16. Again my wife had me drive her to visit a friend 50 miles away, but only 2 miles from a Nissan dealer. I dropped her off, then drove over to the dealer to get about 1.5 hours of L2 charging so we could get home. While there I found out that they are still only offering $4,000 discount on the buy-out. However, while there I saw they had a MY2013SL with Premium Package (same as ours, color also) with a sticker price of $10,895. It has 31,800 miles, 11,000 less than ours at 42,800.

The problem is that this one was built 02/13 and only has 9 bars, showing only 60 miles at 100%charge. Ours is a 08/13, still have all 12 bars and shows +-80 miles at 100%. Keeping freeway speed to 55mph we can still get over 85 miles out of it.

With our $15,500 buy-out price we need at least $7,000 discount to get us to keep it. My wife really wants a 200 mile range Tesla 3 if it ever makes it to market. We have our reservation but at least 2 years out. Maybe a MY2017 Leaf if it really has the 40kwh/140 mile range. I wanted to jump on the MY2016SL deal they made us but the 110 mile range was not enough for my wife. I told her that she could use the 2016 and I could buy out our 2013 and use it and the NCTC card with it to do UBER part time. I am semi-retired and have lots of free time now taken up with "Honey-Dos." Even though I LOVE doing the honey-dos I think doing UBER could also be fun.

1. Ask the dealer how much it would cost them to buy the car back. If only one spouse is on the title then maybe they can sell it to the other. Your 12 bar car is way better than the one you saw for sale.

2. Turn it in and then search cars.com or similar for the VIN and see if the price is better than their original offer. For those who posted earlier from Atlanta, lots of GA cars end up in CA, though.

Good luck.

Graffi said:
However, while there I saw they had a MY2013SL with Premium Package (same as ours, color also) with a sticker price of $10,895. It has 31,800 miles, 11,000 less than ours at 42,800.

The problem is that this one was built 02/13 and only has 9 bars, showing only 60 miles at 100%charge. Ours is a 08/13, still have all 12 bars and shows +-80 miles at 100%. Keeping freeway speed to 55mph we can still get over 85 miles out of it.
The GOM value is worthless, as you should know by now. However, if it's down to 9 bars, it seems like it might win the battery lottery in time, which should score the owner a replacement new lizard battery.

Got my end of lease inspection today. Clean. no questions about what maintenance I had / had-not done. Straight forward process. 2013 SV.

Lease expires Nov 30. So now I have 45 days to decide "next". Buying my SV is an option (still has all 12 bars) but dealer said no discount off 13.9K residual (yikes!). I plan to ask again, then let's see. I doubt the 2017 Leaf will be out by then, so might have to go for a Volt

Back