End Time only with L1 EVSE starts immediately

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no problem using it L1.
this wont help much, but i use L1 with end timer almost every day at work to recharge the LEAF to 80%.

if I need to add 3 bars, get to work around 10 am, then I set the end timer for 430pm.

it starts up around 11 am. sometimes, if i need more than three bars, it stops at 430 pm without getting to 80%.

My conclusion reading these posts is that the End-Time feature of the timer just does not work very well. It's too bad because that feature makes a lot of sense and would be very useful. Hope Nissan will update he software at some point...

I think your conclusion is way too broad. Most people use L2 charging, and most of them seem to have no serious problem with the end-only timer, though it seems to be a bit conservative. I have no inside knowledge on this, but my conclusion is:
  • There may be a bug in the software when it decides charging needs to start before midnight (i.e. on a different day than the end time). For most people, most of the time, that will only apply for L1 charging.
  • There may be a far too conservative attempt to compensate if a climate control timer is also active.

Like you, though, I hope Nissan will take a closer look at the software involved.

Ray

My conclusion is Nissan should have done a better job working on the one feature that could save the leaf from developing the reputation of having bad batteries that don't last. It should charge to 80% then recalculate the last 20% instead of just starting and finishing 5 hours early. My L1 charged leaf just starts immediately every time also. If it wasn't winter I would just charge to 80% but I am not driving a car without heat.

To really check L1 end timer, plug it in when the dash says 2 hours and it is 12 hours to the end time with climate timer off.
Should not immediately start and should allow you to monitor when it does.

The end timer seemed to work fine when I was on L1 the first 5 months. But then it was charging near continuous. Any wait time was typically very short or non existant.

Even with L2 I set the end time 30 minutes after I want it full.

Back