ETEC application pending

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cdub said:
Has anyone who told the EV Project that YES they want to participate after that e-mail been contacted again to schedule an assessment?

In the same boat, Sept. order month...ordered early on April 20 but awaiting Etec home assessment (no contact yet about actually scheduling the assessment). Still have not been able to order car. I am OK with waiting to order if that is what this is all about but do not want to be pushed further away for delivery. That would not be fair.

I got the same thing. I emailed them asking for a site evaluation. I think the reason mine might be "too expensive" was because I have a detached garage, which is how I answered the question. Well that answer does not take in to account that detached garage has a 100 amp sub panel ran out to it with a 30A circuit already ran in the wall, which is labeled "Electric Car" on file with the city already.

I'll probably call them this week if I don't hear back via email.

RickS said:
I got the same thing. I emailed them asking for a site evaluation. I think the reason mine might be "too expensive" was because I have a detached garage, which is how I answered the question. Well that answer does not take in to account that detached garage has a 100 amp sub panel ran out to it with a 30A circuit already ran in the wall, which is labeled "Electric Car" on file with the city already.

What phone number will you use to call them? At their headquarters?

I haven't gotten that far yet, but hey they're based out of Phoenix, worst case scenario I can just go visit them. :lol:

RickS said:

I also responded with "detached garage" on my initial EV Project application, which I agree is maybe why we received the e-mail about installation possibly being more costly than allowed by EV Project guidelines.

Nissan might think detached garage means an isolated structure far from the electrical panel but in my case it is in fact right where the electrical panel is located. I should have my home assessment completed on Thursday, September 9th so I'll tell you all how it goes. My local electrician said that the installation for me would be a simple job that shouldn't be too expensive.

According to the "Status of your Leaf Charger - O" e-mail:

"If, however, the installation does fall outside of the EV Project cost guidelines, you will be offered a credit of up to $1200 toward the installation cost along with the free home charging unit."

I take it that those approved for the EV Project would have installation jobs costing less than $1200?

tzeweiu said:
RickS said:

I also responded with "detached garage" on my initial EV Project application, which I agree is maybe why we received the e-mail about installation possibly being more costly than allowed by EV Project guidelines.

Nissan might think detached garage means an isolated structure far from the electrical panel but in my case it is in fact right where the electrical panel is located. I should have my home assessment completed on Thursday, September 9th so I'll tell you all how it goes. My local electrician said that the installation for me would be a simple job that shouldn't be too expensive.

According to the "Status of your Leaf Charger - O" e-mail:

"If, however, the installation does fall outside of the EV Project cost guidelines, you will be offered a credit of up to $1200 toward the installation cost along with the free home charging unit."

I take it that those approved for the EV Project would have installation jobs costing less than $1200?

Yes.

Writing an e-mail or placing a call might help expedite the home assessment process.

August 30th:
Wrote an e-mail to Andrew Hoskinson (the San Diego contact listed on the EV Project website: http://www.theevproject.com/contact.php) explaining that I had not yet heard back from ECOtality regarding my home assessment.

September 2nd:
Received the "Status of your Leaf Charger - O" e-mail, to which I responded that I would like a home assessment.

September 3rd:
Received an answering machine message from ECOtality North America about the e-mail that I had sent on August 30th. The woman on the message talked about how they were busy and had fallen behind but that they would get back to me about the home assessment in the next couple months. (!!!) She left an area code 619 phone number for me to call if I had any questions.

On the same day I also received an e-mail from Baker Electric, a local company in Escondido, about scheduling a home assessment. I scheduled one for September 9th, the first day that one would be available. I don't know if ECOtality contacted them because of my e-mail, but I do know that the response was much faster than I had anticipated.

The two events could be related or not, as a lot of people seem to have also received the "Status of your Leaf Charger - O" e-mail on September 2nd, but I can't help but think that it's worth a shot to contact whomever you can to "escalate" your order!

Wonder when I will be able to place my September 2010 order...

cdub said:
Has anyone who told the EV Project that YES they want to participate after that e-mail been contacted again to schedule an assessment?
Yes, and they conducted an assessment at my home on 8/27. It took about 20 minutes. I suspect mine was easy for them. I have a 200A panel and it's located on the side of my garage near where the EVSE would be located inside the garage. He asked me a bunch of questions such as was I planning to add any heavy electrical consuming items to the property such as a hot tub. He also wanted to know about the WiFi reception in that area of the home. Pretty basic stuff. He then took a few photos and left.

tzeweiu said:

I'm guessing, but I would say after your assessment and it's communicated to Nissan. I received a call on Aug. 17th from ECOtality that they had 'pre-approved' my application and that I didn't need an assessment. But the problem was, Nissan didn't know it because they were missing that ID # on the app that is electronically sent to them when you fill out their questionnaire. I'm Sept. instead of Aug. because I didn't realize I should have filled out Nissan's questionnaire even though I had done the EVP's two months before. So, finally, last night I received an email from ECOtality telling me that Nissan had changed my dashboard to "eTec approved". Now, I can order, hopefully Tues. Good luck tzewelu!

Thanks, leaffan! You must have been so relieved to finally see your status changed to eTec approved. If I can order on Friday I will be one happy Leaf owner!

tzeweiu said:
Thanks, leaffan! You must have been so relieved to finally see your status changed to eTec approved. If I can order on Friday I will be one happy Leaf owner!

Yeah! I was ecstatic! A group of us are ordering from Rairdon's and I didn't want to hold it up, but I was told that this snafu wouldn't change my place in line.

tzeweiu said:
August 30th:
Wrote an e-mail to Andrew Hoskinson (the San Diego contact listed on the EV Project website: http://www.theevproject.com/contact.php) explaining that I had not yet heard back from ECOtality regarding my home assessment.

September 2nd:
Received the "Status of your Leaf Charger - O" e-mail, to which I responded that I would like a home assessment.

September 3rd:
Received an answering machine message from ECOtality North America about the e-mail that I had sent on August 30th. The woman on the message talked about how they were busy and had fallen behind but that they would get back to me about the home assessment in the next couple months. (!!!) She left an area code 619 phone number for me to call if I had any questions.

On the same day I also received an e-mail from Baker Electric, a local company in Escondido, about scheduling a home assessment. I scheduled one for September 9th, the first day that one would be available. I don't know if ECOtality contacted them because of my e-mail, but I do know that the response was much faster than I had anticipated.

The two events could be related or not, as a lot of people seem to have also received the "Status of your Leaf Charger - O" e-mail on September 2nd, but I can't help but think that it's worth a shot to contact whomever you can to "escalate" your order!

I am in the same situation. In San Diego also, got the "pending application" email, sent email to Ecotech, got the call back from nice lady (Adrian?) at Ecotech that they were behind and my assessment would be scheduled ASAP, but nothing further since. I have Sept. order date but no email from Nissan and my dashboard is still locked. Reserved my Leaf on the first day (4/20) and was hoping for a Dec. delivery. Getting worried now because of conflicting info here about whether my assessment must be completed before my order can be placed, and whether or not the SL-e (or ETEC) trim level will be available to me or not. Has anyone who had a "pending application" with Ecotech been able to request a quote yet? Was the ETEC option available?

A little frustrated with the process...
TT

tzeweiu said:
"I'm in San Diego and I also received the "Status of your Leaf Charger - O" e-mail on September 2. My order date is September 2010.

Apparently we should not receive an e-mail to order the car until after the EV Project assessment is completed. I asked Nissan Live Chat about the timing of my order and this is what they had to say:

"Ryan:
Thank you for contacting Nissan LEAF Electric Vehicle Customer Support, my name is Ryan. How may I help you today?

Me:
Hi, I have an order date of September 2010 but still haven't had a home assessment by ECOtality to confirm my eligibility for the EV Project. Yesterday I received an e-mail from ECOtality that stated my home installation could be more costly than their guidelines allow, however, they would still like to include me in the EV Project. If my reservation becomes unlocked before my assessment is completed, would I be able to order the car on time?

Ryan:
Thank you for your interest in the Nissan LEAF Electric Vehicle, I am happy to answer that for you. Yes, you will be able to order once Nissan has sent you the notice that you may request a quote from a dealer. The pending determination of EcoTality participation will not keep you from ordering.
This first statement and the following seem to be in conflict:

Ryan:
The assessment is scheduled so that there is enough time to complete it before your order date comes up. I don't have any date of order information other than what has been already provided for you, unfortunately.

Me:
Sorry one last question. Hypothetically if the order e-mail comes before my EV Project assessment is completed, would it be a problem if I ordered the SL trim and added the quick charge port and then later changed it to SL-E?

Ryan:
Sure. We haven't had any situations like that occur yet. The assessments are always completed and participation determination made before the order date arrives."
If Ecotech is behind in their assessment process in relation to the Nissan order process, isn't it likely that our "pending" participation status in the EV project will delay our order date opportunity? I.E., is Nissan waiting to send us our order invitation until we are approved for the EV project?

TT

ttweed said:
If Ecotech is behind in their assessment process in relation to the Nissan order process, isn't it likely that our "pending" participation status in the EV project will delay our order date opportunity? I.E., is Nissan waiting to send us our order invitation until we are approved for the EV project?

TT

Sure sounds like it. Ecotality is a tiny company trying to use a federal grant to expand in many cities nationwide and build a charging infrastructure. I bet they're just now trying to train the trainers who will train the electricians, whenever they can contract with enough qualified electricians to do the assessments. If they or Nissan could post information about how far behind they are it would be reassuring to have some idea when you could order.

For some people it could make a big difference whether they can buy in December and claim the $7,500 tax credit on 2010 taxes, or buy in January and for 2011 taxes. Opting out of the EV project might give them the $7,500 a year earlier, and be worth forgoing the free charger. But what a shame if you gave up the free charger and slipped to January anyway.

It looks like only people who reserved in April will get cars this year, so my August reservation looks for sure like delivery next year. But I sure wish they'd get to the point where they could tell me when, plus or minus a couple of months.

I am waiting, too, to see if any of us who have Etec pending status get to order anytime soon. So far, no one has posted here saying that they have this status, yet were still able to order. My 3 attempts to get some assurance from live chat had them all stating that etec pending status would not hold up ordering. Yet here I am....still not able to order although I reserved early on April 20. I hate to chat with them again since I think I am going to be getting the same answer.
Looking forward to hearing any updates from you all who get new information or who are actually able to order.

I contacted live chat again today. Here is the transcript of my conversation with them.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 11:48:47 AM (9/8/2010 4:48:47 PM - GMT)

Welcome to EV Customer Support, Roland will be right with you.

Roland:
Thank you for contacting Nissan Electric Vehicle Customer Support, my name is Roland. How may I help you today?

Me:
Hi Roland, we have chatted before. I am concerned because my dashboard is still not open for me to order. Is my etec pending status preventing me from getting an open dashboard to order?

Roland:
I appreciate your interest in the Nissan LEAF. I will be happy to assist you with this information, Kathleen.

Me:
reservation number _________

Roland:
While your Ecotality information is still pending. This will not hold you up from doing the ordering process.

Roland:
When it is time for you to order we will email you.

Me:
I am concerned that this inability to order now will affect when I can take delivery on the car. Are the cars to be delivered in order of one's order timing?

Roland:
The delivery of the LEAF will be based ion timing of reservation.

Me:
You mean the timing of the initial reservation that I made on April 20?

Roland:
That is correct.

Me:
OK, I will continue to wait to be able to order.

Roland:
Before we end our conversation, I want to ensure your needs have been met. Do you have any additional questions about what we discussed today?

Me:
Thank you for your help. No I have no additional questions...just a plea to ask the powers that be to open up my dashboard!

So delivery of car will be based on when you placed your initial reservation and etec pending status is not causing my inability to place my order yet. Continue to wait then. :roll:

I got an email from Shawn of Sunwest Electric, Inc. to let me know that they'd be handling the EV Project site evaluation (My install is likely to exceed EV Project guidelines) - so - for those of you who haven't been contacted yet I'm sure it's still in the pipeline.

drees said:
I got an email from Shawn of Sunwest Electric, Inc. to let me know that they'd be handling the EV Project site evaluation (My install is likely to exceed EV Project guidelines) - so - for those of you who haven't been contacted yet I'm sure it's still in the pipeline.
I got a call last night from Sunwest to schedule a meeting to look at my installation this Sat. They followed up w/ an email today. I had to back out of a Porsche club event I had scheduled to meet them then, but I'm willing to do it to keep the process moving. The funny thing is they (Suncoast) are an Orange County (Anaheim) outfit. Couldn't they find any local SD contractors to train?

I spoke to Adrian at Ecotality again today, and she was somewhat surprised that it was not a local contractor coming out, but she is not in the Construction management end of things and doesn't know why. I asked what was the next step in the process to get approved for the EV Project after I accepted my installation quote, and she didn't really know. She suggested I talk to the contractor about that. I asked her if their contractor had to do the upgrade work needed on my system before the charger could be installed or could I do it myself, making my site ready for a standard free installation ahead of time? (I am a retired general contractor, understand the permitting process, and have several good friends who are journeyman electricians to help me.) She didn't know about that. I asked if she knew if my "pending" approval for the EV Project was holding up my order invitation from Nissan. She didn't. I asked if the amount I had to spend over and above their $1200 subsidy to get the charger installed was eligible for the 50% federal tax credit if I got it done before the end of the year, and she had no idea. Basically, she admitted that they are involved in an unprecedented effort involving a number of different entities and organizations (Nissan, utility companies, Fed. State and local government, non-profits, etc.) It is all very new and very complex, and they are learning as they go. Nobody seems to have a handle on what everyone else is doing. They're all flying in the dark. Without radar.

Not very confidence-instilling, to say the least, but I am sticking it out and chugging forward. Nothing will make me throw in the towel on this deal, but I will be a little pissed if I miss the $5K CA rebate because the money runs out before I get my car.

TT

ttweed said:
Not very confidence-instilling, to say the least, but I am sticking it out and chugging forward. Nothing will make me throw in the towel on this deal, but I will be a little pissed if I miss the $5K CA rebate because the money runs out before I get my car.
Part of being an early adopter. On some of the other threads, Nissan has said that your order will not be delayed by a pending eTEC approval - I think someone who has a pending approval has already placed their order, so I would not worry too much about the CA rebate.

drees said:
Nissan has said that your order will not be delayed by a pending eTEC approval - I think someone who has a pending approval has already placed their order
Where did you see this, drees? I have been searching for such an affirmation in all the "order" threads and have not seen a single instance of a "pending" Etec status placing an order yet. That would really ease my mind if it's true.

Is your appointment w/ Suncoast for Saturday, too? They said they were going to be down here doing several estimates.

TT

Back