ETEC application pending

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was called Wednesday, September 8 to schedule the ETEC assessment which was performed last Friday, September 10. The inspector was very knowledgeable, showed up 10 minutes early and could not understand why an assessment was needed. He emailed me confirmation of the approval by noon that day. The confirmation included the following text which seems to be contrary what Nissan customer service reps have told me (and others on this thread).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congratulations! Based on the site assessment just completed, your Blink in-house charger and installation will be free of charge.

Nissan will be contacting you shortly with instructions for ordering your vehicle.
Thank you again for your interest in the EV Project. We look forward to completing the installation of your Blink EVSE shortly before you take delivery of your Nissan LEAF.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

drees said:
Hey Tom, did you have Matt stop by, too?
Ya, it was Matthew. He probably came down here after he did yours.

I called Shawn at Sunwest today to ask what happens from here, since Matt didn't really know. She said they have to get the estimates of the 60 jobs they are doing back to Ecotality by the 20th, and they will notify me of the result, not Sunwest. I was kind of surprised by the fact that I will not hear the estimate from the contractor. She says they have no obligation to tell me, only them. I am not really the customer in this case, they are! She also said something about they have to get all their installs done by June. I told her it was likely a lot of them would need to be done by January, since that is when many of the people would be getting their cars. That seemed to be news to her. She had no idea how what they are doing tied into my being able to order from Nissan.

About what I expected, except I was hoping for a 72-hr. turnover on the estimate, as I heard elsewhere, or at least by Friday, which is what Matt thought would happen. As it's going, I will be lucky to still be able to order in Sept.

TT

leaf4life said:
I was called Wednesday, September 8 to schedule the ETEC assessment which was performed last Friday, September 10. The inspector was very knowledgeable, showed up 10 minutes early and could not understand why an assessment was needed. He emailed me confirmation of the approval by noon that day.
Where are you located? Who did the assessment? He must have been from Ecotec and not an independent contractor, then? That is very different from what I am experiencing.

TT

ttweed said:
leaf4life said:
I was called Wednesday, September 8 to schedule the ETEC assessment which was performed last Friday, September 10. The inspector was very knowledgeable, showed up 10 minutes early and could not understand why an assessment was needed. He emailed me confirmation of the approval by noon that day.
Where are you located? Who did the assessment? He must have been from Ecotec and not an independent contractor, then? That is very different from what I am experiencing.

TT

I am in the Portland, OR area. The assesment was done by Oregon Electric Group. As of this evening (Sept 13), my dashboard still says 'etec application pending'. I have a September reservation window which hasn't opened yet.

Nissan said that your EVProject evaluation would be done before
your order date. The easy way to guarantee that is to only "set"
your order date AFTER the evaluation is finished! See, no lie.

I don't know if I put this in this thread before, so if I did sorry. I just want to alert you to something that Nissan told me to look out for. If you are etec pending and you receive your RAQ and your vehicle does not default to the sl-e model make sure and select the fast charge option if you intend to have it. They have said to me that if you ultimately are approved for the project that they will adjust the cost down and not charge you the $700.00.

After repeatedly bugging the electrician company that came out I received an email saying I had been approved for a free charger today! Now to see when I get to order.

leaf4life said:
I am in the Portland, OR area. The assesment was done by Oregon Electric Group. As of this evening (Sept 13), my dashboard still says 'etec application pending'. I have a September reservation window which hasn't opened yet.
Was it really Oregon Electric Group who emailed you the approval, or Ecotec? Your first post made it sound like the contractor informed you of the approval. Mine has said it is not up to them, that they send the estimate to Ecotec and then Ecotec sends me their decision.

TT

RickS said:
After repeatedly bugging the electrician company that came out I received an email saying I had been approved for a free charger today! Now to see when I get to order.

RickS, are you ordering locally at MSRP or ordering with us in WA at $100 below Invoice and free shipping (three or more cars)?

My home assessment was completed on September 9th but my dashboard still shows "eTec application pending". I e-mailed Baker Electric, the contractor in Escondido, CA that performed the assessment, and received the following response:

"We are reporting the results of the assessments directly to ECOTality North America, who is in turn reporting to Nissan. I have attached a letter of inspection documenting the inspection we completed on your home for your records.

I am not sure of the date that you may order your vehicle; however this letter serves as record of your assessment for the charger being completed.

Please let me know if you need any further information or have any questions as the process moves forward.

We are looking forward to working with you on this."

At the top of the attached letter were the logos for both The EV Project and ECOtality North America. The letter contained the following message:

"Task #: SDR-04XX
Home Owner Name: XXXX
Address: XXXX
Site Evaluation Date: XXXX
Contractor: XXXX

Congratulations! Based on the site assessment just completed, your Blink in-house charger and installation will be free of charge.

Nissan will be contacting you shortly with instructions for ordering your vehicle.
Thank you again for your interest in the EV Project. We look forward to completing the installation of your Blink EVSE shortly before you take delivery of your Nissan LEAF."

Could the SDR code in the task # above stand for San Diego Region? And might that mean that more than 400+ pre-approved people in San Diego (according to Baker Electric, I was the 6th or 7th home assessment they've done total and they apparently started on September 6th) are in front of me based on my number?

I'm not sure if I would have received this letter if I didn't e-mail my contractor, who has been very responsive to my e-mails. Has anyone else received this kind of letter without requesting it?

Was it really Oregon Electric Group who emailed you the approval, or Ecotec? Your first post made it sound like the contractor informed you of the approval. Mine has said it is not up to them, that they send the estimate to Ecotec and then Ecotec sends me their decision.

TT

The approval was on Ecotec stationery and forwarded to me by Oregon Electric Group

I'm in the same situation as you. Mine was also done on the 9th by Baker. My SDR number is under 40, but I'm still in the application pending state. I too received the approval letter.

tzeweiu said:
My home assessment was completed on September 9th but my dashboard still shows "eTec application pending". I e-mailed Baker Electric, the contractor in Escondido, CA that performed the assessment, and received the following response:

"We are reporting the results of the assessments directly to ECOTality North America, who is in turn reporting to Nissan. I have attached a letter of inspection documenting the inspection we completed on your home for your records.

I am not sure of the date that you may order your vehicle; however this letter serves as record of your assessment for the charger being completed.

Please let me know if you need any further information or have any questions as the process moves forward.

We are looking forward to working with you on this."

At the top of the attached letter were the logos for both The EV Project and ECOtality North America. The letter contained the following message:

"Task #: SDR-04XX
Home Owner Name: XXXX
Address: XXXX
Site Evaluation Date: XXXX
Contractor: XXXX

Thank you again for your interest in the EV Project. We look forward to completing the installation of your Blink EVSE shortly before you take delivery of your Nissan LEAF."

Could the SDR code in the task # above stand for San Diego Region? And might that mean that more than 400+ pre-approved people in San Diego (according to Baker Electric, I was the 6th or 7th home assessment they've done total and they apparently started on September 6th) are in front of me based on my number?

I'm not sure if I would have received this letter if I didn't e-mail my contractor, who has been very responsive to my e-mails. Has anyone else received this kind of letter without requesting it?

Supernoman, is your SDR# something like SDR-003X? And did you receive the approval letter only after requesting it?

Well, I had my ECOtality assessment performed on Friday, September 10th and received an email from the electrical contractor today with the form letter stating that my charger will be installed free of charge. ;)

I spoke to the contractor on the phone just before receiving the letter and he stated they found out this week from the local ECOtality representative that the Blink might not be available until after the beginning of the year. :eek: I hope that isn't the case, but either way I hope they don't delay delivery of the vehicles until the Blinks are installed...

yes, i'm in the 3x range. I didn't request it. Lynne from Baker Electric sent it to me via email. She said I could get it mailed physically if I wanted to but I didn't opt for that yet.

tzeweiu said:
Supernoman, is your SDR# something like SDR-003X? And did you receive the approval letter only after requesting it?

DarkStar said:
Well, I had my ECOtality assessment performed on Friday, September 10th and received an email from the electrical contractor today with the form letter stating that my charger will be installed free of charge. ;)

I spoke to the contractor on the phone just before receiving the letter and he stated they found out this week from the local ECOtality representative that the Blink might not be available until after the beginning of the year. :eek: I hope that isn't the case, but either way I hope they don't delay delivery of the vehicles until the Blinks are installed...

Whoa! Maybe that's why we received that questionnaire from Nissan. They may be planning a little delay to wait for the charging docks.

DarkStar said:

Hope so too. For my short commute I can just use 110V ... until Blink turns up.

Here is my update: I called the contractor Wilson Electric (602 area code) to schedule my assessment for next Wed. I asked the representative if I could ask a few questions about the process as he understood it. He was very agreeable.

Here is the gist of what he said: They are contracted by Etec to do this work. He said a journeyman electrician would come out, do a survey, ask questions, take pictures and then submit back to him. He then takes the info and gives it an "estimator" who comes up with a price for any additional work that would need to be done over and above what the EV project had budgeted to pay for installation. Or if it meets the budgeted amount or lower, then the estimator says this as well. Estimator report goes back to the representative. He then ends an email to me with a cc to Etec saying either "you are approved" or "we approve you if you agree to this additional amount for install". I then have to email back saying I agree. Then he will respond "yes you are approved" presumably with a cc to Etec which is how they know I am "approved. He knew nothing about the process after that.

I am hoping then that Etec will inform Nissan to change my dashboard to Etec approved and then finally I can order the car. So even after next Wed., there will be back and forth emails. I will be very interested to see if I really do get to order in the month of September as promised by Nissan. It seems unlikely. So far, I have not read in this forum of anyone who has been allowed to order so long as they have Etec pending status on their dashboard. Once I get the approval from Wilson Electric, I am going to start bugging Etec to contact Nissan to update my dashboard. Let me order, already! Geeze!
He also indicated that Wilson would be doing the install. I ask about coordination with our utility DWP about TOU meters, etc. He had no information on this.

I also have a phone call into DWP to ask how they plan to coordinate the installation of the TOU meter with the install. As of now, DWP is still not going with dual metering because our Dept. of Bldg. and Safety will not approve its use because it is not UL approved. Whew, sorry for the long post!

Maybe I'm the only one left in Sept. that has "eTec application accepted", and haven't been able to order. At least I haven't heard of anyone else.

leaffan said:
Whoa! Maybe that's why we received that questionnaire from Nissan. They may be planning a little delay to wait for the charging docks.
What questionaire? I haven't received anything. What did it ask?

TT

Back