EV body repair SNAFU - Be aware

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flydiver

Leaf Supporting Member
This is something to be aware of. ASK, before you even bother to take a BEV car for an estimate.

Our 2014 Leaf was in a minor side-swipe. Both doors got paint scratches, maybe very minor dents, and the panel over the rear tire definitely dented. We haven't had an auto body incident in 20+ years. We seem to have a good agent (Farmers-been with them for decades) but we haven't had to 'use' him to date.
They have a preferred shop (Caliber Collision in this case). We made an appointment 2 weeks out and drove it over. Pictures and details had already been emailed in. The intake person told us the doors might have to be replaced, there could be structural damage that compromised the cars integrity, and being a BEV they would have to flatbed truck it to a Nissan dealer, have the electrics taken off line, and trucked back, then repeat after repair! It might take up to 2 MONTHS!
WHAT, for minor surface damage no where near any major battery components or wiring! NOT HAPPY.
I called Nissan. Nope, they don't do auto body repair.

Called the agent and he kind of talked us down to let the process move to the next stage of a 'real' check out of the level/depth of damage, and an estimate on repair costs.
(Note-he made it clear that we COULD take the car anywhere we wanted for repair, but it would not receive the Farmers "forever" guarantee of the repair, and might not meet "like new" structural collision standards. There also would not be a Farmer's adjuster working to make sure the repair was appropriate and done properly. Sigh.....OK, that's what we are paying the big bucks for.)

A couple days later got a call from Caliber that our car had started a major administrative discussion on BEV safety for the workers. Until they came up with BEV standards they could not work the car. They apparently DID have worker injuries from working on a BEV. They apologized, made ALL photos, estimates, and paperwork available to us, and tossed us back to Farmers.

Farmer's was surprised, but fielded the ball well and we barley had the car home when we were sent to a different shop (Cooks), one that was closer, and the only one we have ever had body damage worked on. They WERE, back then, a Farmers preferred provider, but no longer are. Agent does not know why.
THEY DO HAVE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES TO WORK ON BEV.
This is not something that even remotely entered our mind when we bought the Leaf.

NOTE - ALL the body shops are WAY backed up, like weeks>months, a combination of staff shortages and the lousy weather + high collision rates that went on in December.

The issues you had with Caliber must be unique to your location. I had some right side collision work done on my 2013 and never had any issues whatsoever from the Caliber shop here in Plano, TX.

Interesting. Seattle is a 'hotbed' of BEV. One would think they had a policy in place here. They did admit that even getting staff trained to deal with BEV specific issues was a problem. Small companies can do what they want, within OSHA rules, should they chose to abide by them. There is absolutely no enforcement of much of anything going on anymore it seems.

Back