Event - REFUEL at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca 07/01/12

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surfingslovak said:
gascant said:
It's actually 17225 El Rancho Way in Salinas. 101 to Laurel Ave, turn right. I'll be staying there Saturday night as well. I've got dibs on the Rabobank charging station. Although I'll be using it Saturday night so I have some reasonable charge when I arrive at the track on Sunday morning. Among all of us, we can get you over to the track.
Ah, thanks for clarifying that! I might be able to make it on one charge, but an hour opportunity charge along the route would help. I will ping you off-list.

I suspect we'll all get where we need to go. I won't have a car, so I'll be hitching rides from SNS to hotel, then hotel to racetrack, then back to airport.

TonyWilliams said:
surfingslovak said:
gascant said:
It's actually 17225 El Rancho Way in Salinas. 101 to Laurel Ave, turn right. I'll be staying there Saturday night as well. I've got dibs on the Rabobank charging station. Although I'll be using it Saturday night so I have some reasonable charge when I arrive at the track on Sunday morning. Among all of us, we can get you over to the track.
Ah, thanks for clarifying that! I might be able to make it on one charge, but an hour opportunity charge along the route would help. I will ping you off-list.

I suspect we'll all get where we need to go. I won't have a car, so I'll be hitching rides from SNS to hotel, then hotel to racetrack, then back to airport.

That's cool. If it all works out, I'll be at SNS when you touch down.

gascant said:
TonyWilliams said:

That's cool. If it all works out, I'll be at SNS when you touch down.

Ok, you should be able to track me, MYF to FUL to SNS starting about 5pm Saturday to get a good estimate of touchdown, and taxi to JetWest.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N133BW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
JeremyW said:
OrientExpress said:
A special guest for the event will be one of the Nissan LEAF Durability Engineers from their Arizona Testing Facility

Oh boy! I have questions for him! ;) This is going to be a fun Sunday!

Jeremy

Bring your barf bags, Ace. You're not going to be feeling too well after three hours of aerobatics.

Don't take this as a challenge or anything, but I do come from a boating family, and have never gotten motion sickness. :roll:

Jeremy

JeremyW said:
Don't take this as a challenge or anything, but I do come from a boating family, and have never gotten motion sickness. :roll:

Jeremy
Maybe I'll put some plastic seat covers in the LEAF before I leave tomorrow :lol:

Wow, what an AWESOME event!!!! Can't wait for next hear. First, let me thank Gascant and Keijidosha for shuttling me to and from the Salinas airport. After getting home from Montana at about 3:30pm, I was airborne in a rented Cessna 182RG by about 6pm, and flew with my 12 year son from San Diego MYF airport to Fullerton to pick up JeremyW.

We landed at Salinas about 9:30pm, and Gascant picked us up. He had been waiting at the airport for an hour, thinking we might get there at 8pm (as I had previously told him). The hotel was only a few miles away (completely sold out), and after checking in, we walked over to Applebees for some late night food.

We met up in the lobby at 7:30am, and all arrived at the Refuel 2012 event just in time to check in. There was an hour-ish long driver meeting (longer for newbie racers, that I didn't sit through). Then, lined up for our first hot laps. There was a few problems with slower drivers, so after a post brief, there was some attempt to make things flow better for round two, and it did. With JeremyW as my co-pilot, I banged out a 2:14 lap time on a COMPLETELY stock 2012 LEAF, besting more than one Tesla.

One BMW ActiveE that was following me had to drop back when his battery overheated. He got some great video of my bumper that he has promised to send me (he is also a Tesla employee). We all got to use the DC charger / generator that Craig, the Nissan engineer, brought up from Phoenix. It was slightly derated from the 48kW that the LEAF can handle, but we did charge faster than any ANY OTHER EV, including the boatload of Tesla Model S's present (I have tons of great pics of prototype and other versions of the S").

I test drove the Coda, which has got to be the world's most vanilla car. Good acceleration. Boring design. Anyhow, by 5pm, I was back at SNS airport, and we flew over to Harris Ranch (home of the first Tesla "supercharger") and I had a great steak dinner. Added 15 gallons of 100 Low Lead to the flying machine, and had a full moon, clear night back to FUL. My final leg to MYF was IFR, so I shot the ILS 28 Right and taxied to the hangar.

My red LEAF was past VLB, so I'm just finishing up an hour of charging before driving 11 miles home. Sure would like a DC charger!!!

TonyWilliams said:
Wow, what an AWESOME event!!!! Can't wait for next hear. First, let me thank Gascant and Keijidosha for shuttling me to and from the Salinas airport. After getting home from Montana at about 3:30pm, I was airborne in a rented Cessna 182RG by about 6pm, and flew with my 12 year son from San Diego MYF airport to Fullerton to pick up JeremyW.

We landed at Salinas about 9:30pm, and Gascant picked us up. He had been waiting at the airport for an hour, thinking we might get there at 8pm (as I had previously told him). The hotel was only a few miles away (completely sold out), and after checking in, we walked over to Applebees for some late night food.

We met up in the lobby at 7:30am, and all arrived at the Refuel 2012 event just in time to check in. There was an hour-ish long driver meeting (longer for newbie racers, that I didn't sit through). Then, lined up for our first hot laps. There was a few problems with slower drivers, so after a post brief, there was some attempt to make things flow better for round two, and it did. With JeremyW as my co-pilot, I banged out a 2:14 lap time on a COMPLETELY stock 2012 LEAF, besting more than one Tesla.

One BMW ActiveE that was following me had to drop back when his battery overheated. He got some great video of my bumper that he has promised to send me (he is also a Tesla employee). We all got to use the DC charger / generator that Craig, the Nissan engineer, brought up from Phoenix. It was slightly derated from the 48kW that the LEAF can handle, but we did charge faster than any ANY OTHER EV, including the boatload of Tesla Model S's present (I have tons of great pics of prototype and other versions of the S").

I test drove the Coda, which has got to be the world's most vanilla car. Good acceleration. Boring design. Anyhow, by 5pm, I was back at SNS airport, and we flew over to Harris Ranch (home of the first Tesla "supercharger") and I had a great steak dinner. Added 15 gallons of 100 Low Lead to the flying machine, and had a full moon, clear night back to FUL. My final leg to MYF was IFR, so I shot the ILS 28 Right and taxied to the hangar.

My red LEAF was past VLB, so I'm just finishing up an hour of charging before driving 11 miles home. Sure would like a DC charger!!!
:mrgreen: This sounds awesome.

I can't wait to see the pictures and that video!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's my in-car video of the first practice session. We're the blue Leaf carrying #45, running Tein coilovers and Pirelli P7 summer tires, which worked quite well. I had fun chucking it through the corners more aggressively in the second session...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR2PhiEmCuE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR2PhiEmCuE[/youtube]

Great pics, Tony, who took 'em?

Looks like you had a Coda on your tail and one point and a screaming Beemer for a while as well, but the shot under the Mother's bridge shows you pulling out some distance on them. Was that the case?

Did Keijidsoha get to drive, or did you pull rank on him?

Here are some photos from the SF BayLEAFs:

In the SF BayLEAFs / Nissan Paddock with our DC/QC

refuel2012_01.jpg

refuel2012_02.jpg

refuel2012_06.jpg

refuel2012_07.jpg

SF BayLEAFs Co-founder Howard Clearfield (left) is ready to give the Stig some tips on driving the Laguna Seca course.

refuel2012_08.jpg

Howard's sliver LEAF leads the pack on the front straightaway!

refuel2012_09.jpg

Tesla had their Model S design team out with the development Model S mules.
refuel2012_10.jpg

The Tesla Roadsters cool their batteries between runs

refuel2012_11.jpg

The Team Yokohama, the "HER-02" Pikes Peak Hill Climb EV-Class Champion car from Japan competed at REFUEL

refuel2012_03.jpg

refuel2012_04.jpg

refuel2012_05.jpg

Boomer23 said:
Great pics, Tony, who took 'em?

http://www.caliphotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keijidsoha actually bought it for me, and it wasn't cheap !!! Truly a first class guy. His daughter came down from San Francisco for the event.

Looks like you had a Coda on your tail and one point and a screaming Beemer for a while as well, but the shot under the Mother's bridge shows you pulling out some distance on them. Was that the case?

The Coda was fully setup for racing, with a lot more power than a stock LEAF. He could pull me in the straights, and out corner me. The stock tires/suspension were a HANDFUL on this track. But the fun factor was way, way up there!!!!

Did Keijidsoha get to drive, or did you pull rank on him?

I did not pull any rank. I was thinking I'd get a few laps, but he had done this event last year in the Mini-E, and seemed to encourage me to drive it (it didn't take a lot).

I had a blast, and will absolutely be there next year. Now that I have a lay of the land, I hope we'll have proper re-charging equipment for the event next year. Probably at least two DC chargers, with enough reserve to power a handful of L2's. The electric power available is impressive, but severely taxed for this event, so a 100kW+ genset should get things done.

I seriously doubt that the genset that Nissan used (and bought for their Arizona location) meets California CARB regulations. Could get their hand slapped !!!

Back