EVs Blocking Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to check from home..
Not a work friendly URL there.. ;-)

That did happen to me awhile ago, and I was a little bummed because it was a "County" car (logo on the side).
Not my county, but I'm a State worker and VERY aware of the attitude some people have about government employees.

I sent an e-mail to the group who handled the car services explaining that I was VERY happy they had EVs. And was happy they had their logo on the side, showing their support.
I was disappointed that the car was parked at a metered EV spot yet not plugged in and with the meter expired.

Just did not look good.. ;-(
I tried to explain some of the charging etiquette. I tried to stay very positive. ;-)

I know several State workers with EVs and we wouldn't do that... (But then, we OWN those EVs, and this one was a "check-out" car.)

Got the usual (Thanx for your concern) email. Not sure if it made a difference, but haven't see them back in that spot at least..

desiv

I see this all the time and mostly from Tesla owners actually, I often see them look for an unused cable and when they are all taken they still pull in the spot and use it to park with no note or intention to charge, simply laziness to take another open spot. In fact I have even spoken to Tesla owners that have pulled in a spot and not charged saying they did not need it but still take the spot. Is there something in the sales pitch that promotes reserved parking spots? :roll:

I've seen this several times at the airport parking of DCA (Reagan National, in Washington DC). There was a Model S with the J1772 adapter plugged in, but the charger cable was on the charger. Did someone unplug them, or are they prepared for a friend to drop in and hook up the EVSE before the plane arrives? Either way, they're taking a space.

evasshole.jpg

Yeah it's always the #TeslaMotors drivers. I guess they think they own the road and parking spots since their EV costs the most. It's pretty F'd Up!!!

http://www.evAhole.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EVDRIVER said:
I see this all the time and mostly from Tesla owners actually, I often see them look for an unused cable and when they are all taken they still pull in the spot and use it to park with no note or intention to charge, simply laziness to take another open spot. In fact I have even spoken to Tesla owners that have pulled in a spot and not charged saying they did not need it but still take the spot. Is there something in the sales pitch that promotes reserved parking spots? :roll:

Plus they have like 210 miles on the GOM when they plug in for their 10 mile commute back home.

Lasareath said:
Yeah it's always the #TeslaMotors drivers. I guess they think they own the road and parking spots since their EV costs the most. It's pretty F'd Up!!!

http://www.evAhole.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EVDRIVER said:
On that note, for those that can see this, take a look at the responses from the troll at https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/981645191866918/?comment_id=981674435197327&offset=50&total_comments=79&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :roll: in response to a Model S blocking a charging spot, not plugged in. SMH

I guess that guy would have no hesitation in blocking EV spots. :roll:

Had this happen again (not a Tesla one).
In the morning, I pulled in, but my morning charger wasn't working. Heating error.
So I e-mailed the people about it when I got to work. They were awesome and e-mailed me back in about an hour that they had it working again.
Great!
A bit later, I swing by, and there's a black Leaf there. Darn, oh well.. But as I'm driving by, I notice the car is empty and I think it's not charging anymore? Hard to tell driving by tho.
So I go around the block and check.
Yep, it's plugged in. Not charging. Lights off (so it didn't "just" finish) and the meter is flashing.
This one is free, but metered, but I've noticed that almost no one (I'd say I might be the only one, but I doubt that. It just feels that way) puts money in the meter while they are charging. (Based on when I pull up to wait for someone..).

So, the Leaf was just sitting there plugged in, but not charging and they hadn't paid the meter..
If I was more vindictive, I'd call parking services next time.. But that's the type of thing I always say I'd do, but I know I won't. ;-)

I was at VLBW at the time, so I had to just head to the nearest Blink charger for a while..

Just goes to show you that people are people, even if they own EVs.. ;-)

desiv
(I do plan on making some little cards I can place under their windshield wiper letting them know I stopped by and needed to charge and couldn't.. Not much, and they probably won't care, but that's more my speed..)

Or this...

"Tow It app publicly shames drivers of badly parked cars"

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/05/28/towit-app-publicly-shames-drivers-of-badly-parked-cars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

desiv said:
Just goes to show you that people are people, even if they own EVs.. ;-)

desiv
(I do plan on making some little cards I can place under their windshield wiper letting them know I stopped by and needed to charge and couldn't.. Not much, and they probably won't care, but that's more my speed..)

you nailed it. We are a collection of the population that happen to own EV's. Those of us who are nice, are still nice. Those of us who are naughty are just naughty in a EV way. I like the idea of the cards. Make them nice and pleasant. You never know why they are parked there.

It's like the time I turned up to park and everyone was out of sync to the parking lines so I had to park in a space that was equally spaced to all the others, between the cars. When I got back to my car all the other parked cars where gone and I looked like a real jerk using two parking spots and someone even said "nice parking" to me as they went by but they had no idea how this had come about. I try not to judge others.

I think being equally nasty is not a good direction, it just escalates the emotions for all involved. I think your 'card' idea will work to help with that and education and spread the good word. Let's see what you come up with.

Lasareath said:
I registered a new Domain for all those #Tesla Drivers that just Park in EV charging spaces!

For what it's worth, not everyone uses Facebook, but I'm guessing it's some sort of Facebook group.

Also keep in mind that you might not always know the backstory when seeing an unplugged EV in a charging spot.

Maybe the charging station is broken (happened to me several times), or someone unplugged the vehicle (plenty of 'gassholes' out there), or the driver went inside to get help operating the station, who knows.

Not saying that's the case here, but we have enough things in life to be angry about, especially when not 100% sure.

It's annoying when a parking lot is essentially full, but you see a EV parked in a regular spot and using the charging cable from the EV parking spot next to it. This essentially makes the EV parking spot useless because you can't park there unless you're charging. If a EV just parks in the EV charging spot and charges, then it frees up a regular spot for other cars (and EVs that don't need charging).

ybitz said:
It's annoying when a parking lot is essentially full, but you see a EV parked in a regular spot and using the charging cable from the EV parking spot next to it. This essentially makes the EV parking spot useless because you can't park there unless you're charging. If a EV just parks in the EV charging spot and charges, then it frees up a regular spot for other cars (and EVs that don't need charging).

You're assuming that the EV spot was available when the EV parked in the regular spot next to it and started charging. It could have been:

a) ICE'd.
b) Filled with an EV that was done charging but not moved ASAP (my own pet-peeve).
c) Filled with an EV that wasn't done charging, but the person in the regular spot unplugged him anyway so he could start charging himself.

Back