EVs Blocking Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My one and only siting of a Honda Fit EV was at a Whole Foods where its driver had taken an EV-only (quick-charging) spot and did not plug in. I don't think he even could have used the charger he was in front of, as I think I read that only one Fit in the US is equipped with Chademo. (!)

Anyway, it caused a problem when an Golf EV drove up and needed a spot. They ended up leaving to look elsewhere.

Then, just as I was leaving, the owner came out of the store. I politely inquired if he had charged and when he said no, I equally politely suggested that in the future he leave it open for others who might need to.

He responded with a quizzical/dismissive look, and got into his car without saying a word.

Made me as irritated with him as I am with Honda, LOL.

ybitz said:
It's annoying when a parking lot is essentially full, but you see a EV parked in a regular spot and using the charging cable from the EV parking spot next to it. This essentially makes the EV parking spot useless because you can't park there unless you're charging. If a EV just parks in the EV charging spot and charges, then it frees up a regular spot for other cars (and EVs that don't need charging).

In most cases, this happens because the EV spot was ICEd, and the offending vehicle left after the EV plugged in. I deal with this all the time.

Blame the ICE that parked in the wrong spot ;)

At least in CA, you have some recourse (assuming the proper signage was installed), and can get that ICE towed.

The newest concept is to purposely take the next spot so that more EV's can park next to the EVSE. You should leave your charging port open and a note on the car charging and when you return you may be plugged in.

I leave my mobile number as well with a request for them to sms me when they plug in, Then I can check my carwings.

On my site: https://www.facebook.com/groups/evassholes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I have a Pinned post that explains exactly this.

ybitz said:
It's annoying when a parking lot is essentially full, but you see a EV parked in a regular spot and using the charging cable from the EV parking spot next to it. This essentially makes the EV parking spot useless because you can't park there unless you're charging. If a EV just parks in the EV charging spot and charges, then it frees up a regular spot for other cars (and EVs that don't need charging).

It's much easier to maintain a FaceBook group than a Forum, Out of everyone I know (500+ people) 3 are not on FaceBook.

lion said:
Lasareath said:
I registered a new Domain for all those #Tesla Drivers that just Park in EV charging spaces!
For what it's worth, not everyone uses Facebook, but I'm guessing it's some sort of Facebook group.

I carry this with me, a 40 foot version. I can park 5 to 7 spaces away and still plug in fine! :)

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JLONG-40-Amp-J1772-extension-cable-JL40A.htm;jsessionid=8AECC95E635B373CA401C3A70B2633F4.m1plqscsfapp05" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jlong.jpg

jlongs.jpg

What a great idea!

Lasareath said:
I carry this with me, a 40 foot version. I can park 5 to 7 spaces away and still plug in fine! :)

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JLONG-40-Amp-J1772-extension-cable-JL40A.htm;jsessionid=8AECC95E635B373CA401C3A70B2633F4.m1plqscsfapp05" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Problem with the new charger at work is EV's parked but not charging. 8 spaces, 4 charge ports. I'll come in and find 1 charging, 7 not.

I'm going to preprint some cards reminding them it's not special parking for EV's, to please move your car after charging as some of us need to charge to get home.

mbender said:
My one and only siting of a Honda Fit EV was at a Whole Foods where its driver had taken an EV-only (quick-charging) spot and did not plug in. I don't think he even could have used the charger he was in front of, as I think I read that only one Fit in the US is equipped with Chademo. (!)

Anyway, it caused a problem when an Golf EV drove up and needed a spot. They ended up leaving to look elsewhere.

Then, just as I was leaving, the owner came out of the store. I politely inquired if he had charged and when he said no, I equally politely suggested that in the future he leave it open for others who might need to.

He responded with a quizzical/dismissive look, and got into his car without saying a word.

Made me as irritated with him as I am with Honda, LOL.

There are ways of dealing with arrogant people. In Russia for example, after the floodgates of capitalism were open, parking enforcement and towing laws lagged behind vehicle ownership, so it became quite common to park on a sidewalk and/or leave the car unattended blocking traffic. Pretty soon the people came out with huge sticker signs, translating to: "I spit on everybody. I park where I want." The sign application is purposely done on the passenger side, so a car can be moved, just far enough to spend some quality time cleaning up your windshield.

th

I don't know if windshield sign application could be construed legally as vandalism, but perhaps it is worth exploring.

Lasareath said:

jlong.jpg

jlongs.jpg

Wow, 40ft .. 30 Amps .. You must be running at least #8 conductors in it ;)

lion said:
ybitz said:

In most cases, this happens because the EV spot was ICEd, and the offending vehicle left after the EV plugged in. I deal with this all the time.

At least in CA, you have some recourse (assuming the proper signage was installed), and can get that ICE towed.

If you are who I think you are (and live in Central NY), we also have recourse at many of our public EVSEs in Syracuse. Many of them are signed, and an improperly parked car can and will be ticketed. I always call the number on the sign regarding improperly marked cars, even though I usually don't need to charge myself. Someone else may need to.

It's rated for 40 amps. There are (2) #10 conductors per phase. At 40 feet you don't need #8, I'm pretty sure by code you need #8 after 50ft. That could be wrong. but the guy who makes the cable says that there are two #10 per leg.

sharkmobil said:
Lasareath said:
Wow, 40ft .. 30 Amps .. You must be running at least #8 conductors in it ;)

That is a Great idea!

Maybe you should add a line at the bottom that says, otherwise your car may be listed at http://www.T-Hole.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; !!! HAHA

Pinzgauer said:
Problem with the new charger at work is EV's parked but not charging. 8 spaces, 4 charge ports. I'll come in and find 1 charging, 7 not.

I'm going to preprint some cards reminding them it's not special parking for EV's, to please move your car after charging as some of us need to charge to get home.

Lasareath said:
It's much easier to maintain a FaceBook group than a Forum, Out of everyone I know (500+ people) 3 are not on FaceBook.

lion said:
Lasareath said:
I registered a new Domain for all those #Tesla Drivers that just Park in EV charging spaces!
For what it's worth, not everyone uses Facebook, but I'm guessing it's some sort of Facebook group.

I hope to be the last human alive not using Facebook. :lol:

Nubo said:
I hope to be the last human alive not using Facebook. :lol:

Excellent plan. I have been a member of facebook since it was less than a year old (dating myself, since you had to be a college student at the time). I want to quit, but feel like I'd lose touch with too many friends, and even some distant family members.

Lasareath said:

lion said:
Lasareath said:

I guess it depends on the type of crowd you hang out with. Many techies avoid Facebook due to the many privacy concerns, nor do I have any interest in observing what someone's stool looks like ;)

But this thread isn't about that, I just wanted to mention that not everyone can access that link.

GetOffYourGas said:
lion said:
ybitz said:

If you are who I think you are (and live in Central NY), we also have recourse at many of our public EVSEs in Syracuse. Many of them are signed, and an improperly parked car can and will be ticketed. I always call the number on the sign regarding improperly marked cars, even though I usually don't need to charge myself. Someone else may need to.

I am who you think I am, but as far as I know, there's no law on the books which allows enforcement. I've called those phone numbers several times now, and even spoke with security/parking enforcement, and not once was anything done about it. Businesses don't want to tow/annoy their own customers (they would rather see EVs stranded), even when our taxes funded many of these stations.

lion said:
I am who you think I am, but as far as I know, there's no law on the books which allows enforcement. I've called those phone numbers several times now, and even spoke with security/parking enforcement, and not once was anything done about it. Businesses don't want to tow/annoy their own customers (they would rather see EVs stranded), even when our taxes funded many of these stations.

FWIW, I always call the number and most of the time it results in either a notification or (in the case of Destiny), an announcement in the mall to move the car. It may not be a legal obligation, but it's better than nothing :)

My favorite charging spot is in a local government parking lot full of meters except at the two EV stations. The signage states only for "CHARGING EVs." I have never seen a problem because illegal parking in city is tow plus $200 fine.

mjblazin said:
My favorite charging spot is in a local government parking lot full of meters except at the two EV stations. The signage states only for "CHARGING EVs." I have never seen a problem because illegal parking in city is tow plus $200 fine.
Fines and "fees" have gone up to absurd levels everywhere, because they aren't "taxes" per se and, as we know, raising taxes has become anathema. Municipalities are therefore underfunded and it is the only recourse they have left. Fines and fees can go up a lot and the politicians can still claim that they never raised taxes, even a little, even once.

It's getting ridiculous. I got a $330 parking ticket in an otherwise vacant city lot for accidentally not having a permit (showing) for the spot I was in. I believe my sister got a $400 ticket for not coming to a complete stop before turning on red. Other municipal fees show similar "hyperinflation". (No?)

</off-topic_rant>

Back on topic a bit then, maybe if EV spots were all properly marked (with fine warnings) and those fines were "mercilessly" enforced, word would spread and those spots would stop being ICE-d and/or 'EVeed'.

I did note spots are only for charging EVs. That means it is not really a privilege spot to reward EVs. If you do not have it plugged or even have it plugged and the meter has stopped (it is an Aero site), you get a ticket. One thing I noticed when charging at dusk was the entire top of station blinks when charging. That means the police can drive by, see any car in the spot without blinking light, reach for the ticket book and make the radio call to the city contracted tow.

Now that is medieval. No charge and forget even for EVs. It is also why the slots do not get blocked.

Back