EVSE Charger lights flashing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterp

My EVSE charger is flashing Green light and Red Faulty light - I looked in the manual and it doesn't seem to have that combination explained.

The Manual explains Green light only flashing (= earthing problem) and Green light on with Red light flashing (= electric leakage or malfunction) - in my case both Green and Red are flashing.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with charger? I've tried it in multiple wall-plugs with same result. And it has been worked faultlessly for 4 months since we got the car - we only use the 240v EVSE to charge as there is no charging infrastructure here.

The EVSE did get very hot just prior to giving the fault flashes.

I'm in South Africa and there is a 3 week delivery time for a new charger at a cost of USD670......so I'm quite keen to see if it can be fixed instead?

I can't seem to find many incidents of this problem when doing searches - any help welcome!

It appears something went wrong :lol: Maybe there is a thermal or normal fuse inside.
You are talking about the portable charger you got in the bag? The one that is limited to some amps? 10A or 13A.

This charger isn't worth that money. There are better EVSE-s for less money. Try to fix it.

Yes its the portable Nissan charger in the bag made by Panasonic 10A.

Nissan is looking at it - not sure why because I was told that if it has a fault they won't repair - rather replace. I'll try and get it repaired myself.

Which EVSE 220V max 15Amp charger should i try and get?

I'll try and get a friend to bring one from the US next time he goes over.

Anything that is not too expensive and has J1772 plug for the vehicle.

It's 230V 16A usually. But that is not going to work with normal plug you stick you portable charger.
You have to install it directly to the circuit breaker.

As I said in your other thread 16a 220v EVSEs can be had for ~$300 from places like Amazon or even Ebay.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_6?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=level+2+ev+charger&sprefix=level+%2Cautomotive%2C288
Or 2 people on MNL also sell similar EVSEs, VegasBrad or Tony Williams. Note any EVSE purchased in N. America will need to have the plug cut off it and wire on the plug used in your native country.

Is the car still under warranty? The Nissan EVSE is warranted for 5 years or 60,000 miles in the USA (not sure about other countries) so you might want to confirm whether or not it is under warranty before buying a replacement.

I'm busy checking warranty situation - Nissan South Africa website says 6 years but book says 3 for some things - we'll see. They have now requested that they take it in for repair which will mean 10 days of no charging as they have no replacement/loan chargers.....great. They have offered a loan ICE car in the meantime....

SOLVED. I know this thread is old but I just faced the exact same issue (ready light flashing green, fault light flashing red, charge light flashing green when plugged, but charging is VERY slow) and figured out the issue is caused by a bad termocouple (wall socket temperature sensor in the plug of the evse). The temperature sensor circuit is opened (possibly unsoldered inside the molded plug) giving an infinite resistance. Because it’s unable to measure the wall socket temperature, the evse reacts with a reduced charge rate to avoid overheating the plug. You can troubleshoot this by opening the evse and checking the continuity in the thermal sensor (or check resistance, it should be around 22k ohms at room temperature). If you have this problem and want to fix it….Solution 1: replace the temperature sensor (absolutely not possible if you have a molded type evse plug like mine), solution 2: replace the plug (haven’t found one online with a thermal sensor inside), solution 3: bypass the thermal sensor by replacing with a simple ~22k ohms resistor that costs less than a dollar (tricks the evse intk thinking the wall socket is at room temperature no matter what). Any resistor in the 10k-22k ohms range, for small current, could do the trick as well. Of course this solution defeats the security purpose of the wall socket temperature sensor, so I am not telling you to do it… Solution 4: replace the whole evse, $$$$.

I recommend this thread for a similar discussion about the thermal sensor in the plug:

https://www.speakev.com/threads/putting-a-new-plug-on-an-evse-and-the-thermal-sensor-question.57161/

Worth mentionning, many evse models don’t have a wall socket temperature sensor. ;)

I took my Leaf into the dealership today. I talked with the EV technician directly. He checked for codes on the car. There were none. He then had me charge with their level II pedestal. No problems. He cannot test my EVSE because the dealership doesn't have a 220 volt 50 amp outlet. Hard to believe that, but I think he was being honest. They're going to look into getting the EVSE replaced under warranty.

Back