EVSE Installation confusion. Please help.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerjon

I am buying a Leaf from a friend this summer and want to get a jumps start on things. I purchased the Clipper Creek LCS-25 EVSE for my house to be installed outside: http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-6/Level-2-EVSE%2C-Level/Detail.bok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It comes with bare terminal wires, so I'm hoping to wire on a plug rather than hard-wire it in permanently. This way, the charger, though rated for outdoor use will become a portable Level 2 EVSE. Here's where the questions begin... If I do this what plug/receptacle style should I use. These are the electrical specs: 208V to 240V, 60Hz – 25 Amp Circuit, single phase, 2-wire, with ground (L1, L2, and Ground)– Conduit and pigtail supplied.

Also, it looks like the receptacle will need to be mounted into a waterproof outdoor enclosure. Any Recommendations here? Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U3G2NQ/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=hi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Also, how would you mount something like this flush against vinyl siding?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if this is an unrealistic project for a home owner to attempt on their own, please let me know your thoughts and why. I'm just trying to avoid a $1000 electrician bill. Thanks!

SteveInSeattle said:
NEMA L6-20R recommended
This is the plug that EVSE Upgrade uses
You could use others, as well.
NO! Do not use the L6-20! This is limited to 20 amps. The OP's EVSE is rated at 25 amps.

You can use an L6-30 which is rated for 30 amps, or you could go with a dryer plug 14-30.

DoxyLover said:
SteveInSeattle said:
NEMA L6-20R recommended. This is the plug that EVSE Upgrade uses. You could use others, as well.
NO! Do not use the L6-20! This is limited to 20 amps. The OP's EVSE is rated at 25 amps.
I almost posted something like that last night, but then I remembered two things:
  • The LCS-25 is so named because it is supposed to be used on a 25A or higher circuit. It actually limits the car to a 20A draw.
  • The 20A version of Phil's EVSEupgrade is in exactly the same category. For some reason he considers that a 20A plug is sufficient, and I trust his judgement.

Ray

planet4ever said:
DoxyLover said:
SteveInSeattle said:
NEMA L6-20R recommended. This is the plug that EVSE Upgrade uses. You could use others, as well.
I almost posted something like that last night, but then I remembered two things:
  • The LCS-25 is so named because it is supposed to be used on a 25A or higher circuit. It actually limits the car to a 20A draw.
  • The 20A version of Phil's EVSEupgrade is in exactly the same category. For some reason he considers that a 20A plug is sufficient, and I trust his judgement.

Ray
My bad. I assumed that 25A EVSE would deliver 25A to the EV. Never mind. L6-20 should be fine.

I hooked up my Clipper LCS25 using a plug repurposed from being used for an electric range, and bought matching male connector (to go on Clipper pigtail) from Lowes. It will handle up to 40 A. Actual current to be drawn by LCS 25 is about 21 amps assuming 240 v supply and the higher-power charger in the Leaf. LCS 25 will supply a max. of 5 kw, even though the higher power charger in new Leafs can take up to 6.6 kw. If you have the smaller charger in the vehicle, it will pull max. 3.3 kw, or 13.75 A at 240 V.

electrifeyed said:
I hooked up my Clipper LCS25 using a plug repurposed from being used for an electric range, and bought matching male connector (to go on Clipper pigtail) from Lowes. It will handle up to 40 A. Actual current to be drawn by LCS 25 is about 21 amps assuming 240 v supply and the higher-power charger in the Leaf. LCS 25 will supply a max. of 5 kw, even though the higher power charger in new Leafs can take up to 6.6 kw. If you have the smaller charger in the vehicle, it will pull max. 3.3 kw, or 13.75 A at 240 V.

You've got a bunch of numbers that are wrong. The smaller LEAF charger will pull 3.8kW from the wall at 16 amps. It supplies 3.3kW into the battery (at 394 volts DC).

The published power draw of the Clipper Creek LCS-25 is 20 amps, not 21. On 240 volts, that would be 4.8kW.

Most public charge stations are typically 30 amps, with the following different voltages. At 27.5 amps for a 2013 LEAF (except base "S" model), the following applies:

Power -- Voltage -- at 88% efficiency into the battery

6.9kW --- 250 ------- 6.1 kW
6.6kW --- 240 ------- 5.8 kW (typical residential power in North America)
6.3kW --- 230 ------- 5.5 kW (typical voltage in the rest of the world)
5.7kW --- 208 ------- 5.0 kW (typical voltage at a public charge station in North America)
5.5kW --- 200 ------- 4.8kW (typical voltage in Japan)

electrifeyed said:
...the higher power charger in new Leafs can take up to 6.6 kw. If you have the smaller charger in the vehicle, it will pull max. 3.3 kw, or 13.75 A at 240 V.
The 3.3kW charger will pull up to 16a @ 240v (3.84kW). The 3.3kW spec is going into the battery. The 6.0kW charger will pull up to 27.5a @ 240v (6.6kW).

Back