EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember, it is NOT necessary to get an EVSE installed before you order (or even take delivery of) a LEAF.

The 120v plugin EVSE included with the LEAF will tide you over.
It just takes about 10 hours to do a half-charge instead of 4 hours with the 240v EVSE.
And, you might only need a half-charge to fill the LEAF's "e-tank".

hodad66 said:
For those of us that will be leasing........ is the AV unit
specified as the only choice?

Currently they are Nissan's only "recommended" AVSE source. As you will find by spending time on this site, there are already several possible alternatives available. Nissan cannot require you to go with the AV unit.

LEAFguy said:
hodad66 said:
For those of us that will be leasing........ is the AV unit
specified as the only choice?

Currently they are Nissan's only "recommended" AVSE source. As you will find by spending time on this site, there are already several possible alternatives available. Nissan cannot require you to go with the AV unit.

Great, thanks for the quick answers....

gasmiser1 said:
AV Assessment Completed Cost: For San Carlos, CA (half-way between San Francisco and San Jose)
<snip>
Total $2,318.06
<snip>
I'll be doing this myself with the extra circuits with the help of my electrician friend. My choice of charging unit is the Leviton. Total cost should be under $1,000.
First let me say I'm not happy with AV either, and don't expect to get their charging dock. That said, though, I will point out that with the federal 50% tax credit, the difference is really only $1,159 vs. about $500. I doubt if anybody can beat gasmiser1's price (at least this year) without building a non-approved version of their own. So the most you are going to save is less than 3% of the cost of the Leaf.

planet4ever said:
gasmiser1 said:
AV Assessment Completed Cost: For San Carlos, CA (half-way between San Francisco and San Jose)
<snip>
Total $2,318.06
<snip>
I'll be doing this myself with the extra circuits with the help of my electrician friend. My choice of charging unit is the Leviton. Total cost should be under $1,000.
First let me say I'm not happy with AV either, and don't expect to get their charging dock. That said, though, I will point out that with the federal 50% tax credit, the difference is really only $1,159 vs. about $500. I doubt if anybody can beat gasmiser1's price (at least this year) without building a non-approved version of their own. So the most you are going to save is less than 3% of the cost of the Leaf.

A $2300 installed EVSE via AV will cost one $1150. If one even pays $1100 for another model plus a about $150 in conduit, wiring, etc and do the work then the cost is about $1250, there is a big difference. All I need is the EVSE at this point so I expect my out of pocket cost to be a total of no more than $600.

Holy sh*t! Uh...no! :evil:

I have a custom install. House is 80 years old, needing a panel upgrade from 100 to 200, and panel is on other side of house from garage, but geez! This is freaking ridunkulous! We even told them we'd have my dad do the trenching for us, including cutting across a 3' wide concrete section, but it's still an extra $8,700 on top of the AV standard $2,200? There goes the idea that AV's $2,200 EVSE/install cost was to make up for those special cases like mine that will cost more. Yikes!

AV%20Quote%20copy.jpg

cinmar said:

OK. They don't want to do your job !

Sign a waiver and get one on yur own. You won't even need it if you are going to use it - since you drive so little. Overnight 10 hours charging using 120V will give you 70 miles of range.

garygid said:
10-hour charging on 120v is more like 50 LA4 miles, right?

Depends on what we use - 110/120 and 13/16 amps. With 110/13 it is 57 miles - with 120/16 it is 76 miles.

Any chance to get your employer to install one? Charge at work and use your 110 at home at night and on the weekends. Just a thought.

mwalsh said:
cinmar said:

Are you freaking kidding me with that s**t! Sign the waiver and get it done yourself. Zounds! I'm am gobsmacked! :shock:

Nissan should have come up with a better partner than AV, one that is not a government contractor and supplier perhaps.

I agree. Considering I don't drive all that much, and when I do drive enough to warrant charging overnight, for now I could just use a 120V outlet that's already in my garage. I'm working on my employer, which is a local gov't, and has an interest in appearing green, so that would be another option. I've also sent e-mails requesting charging stations at places around town I visit, like Costco (especially considering they have many charging stations at other warehouses). I'm also inquiring with our local Air Pollution Control District to see if they plan to install any free charging units in the valley, and if not, why not?

I'm just totally shocked at AV's quote. I figured I'd pay an extra $2,000-3,000 on the high end, not nearly $9,000!!! I think in the long run, we'll eventually upgrade the panel, but pay a local electrician to do it for MUCH less.

Gavin said:
We updated our box last year from 100amp to 200amp...ran new wire, etc etc...3k
That's in line with what I researched.

What also irks me, is they don't give a breakdown of what the line item costs are. I asked the AV assessor more than once if they'd break everything out in the quote, so if we changed our mind about one aspect or another, we could do so. The quote does no such thing.

We budgeted $2500 (on the top side) for the 125amp to 200amp panel upgrade we're doing in conjunction with our solar. I rather expect it to cost ~$2000. But that's with the existing service wiring already good to go, so really just the panel replacement.

mwalsh said:
We budgeted $2500 (on the top side) for the 125amp to 200amp panel upgrade we're doing in conjunction with our solar. I rather expect it to cost ~$2000. But that's with the existing service wiring already good to go, so really just the panel replacement.

Our 100 to 200 amp upgraded panel 2 years ago cost $2700. It didn't require any custom construction on the building itself. It was a new larger panel, more circuits, and a new roof mast to mount the PG&E service.

I'll bet "cinmar" could the house done for 1/2 of the AV estimate of costs.

cinmar said:
I have a custom install. House is 80 years old, needing a panel upgrade from 100 to 200, and panel is on other side of house from garage, but geez! This is freaking ridunkulous! We even told them we'd have my dad do the trenching for us, including cutting across a 3' wide concrete section, but it's still an extra $8,700 on top of the AV standard $2,200? There goes the idea that AV's $2,200 EVSE/install cost was to make up for those special cases like mine that will cost more. Yikes!
You have underground utility service? $8700 sounds about 20-30% too high even if they have to do the digging based on a quote I got for a service panel upgrade in the past...

Just got my assessment quote:
------------------------------------------
charging dock, wall mount 25' cable * $721.12
custom installation $664.93
shipping and delivery $49.95
installation permit and processing $0.01
sales tax * US$70.31
total US$1,506.32

Now, $665 is still crazy expensive since I have just a "mount to wall- wire to J-box 10 inches away" situation. Notice, no permit fee (looks like their SW won't allow $0.0)
But, maybe AV is starting to get push back from Nissan. I still intend to try and negotiate this down from "crazy expensive"
to just "expensive".
But, I'll keep AV as an option at this point.

Back