EVSE Installation Preparation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gshoq

I'm planning to purchase a 2014 Nissan Leaf SV in the next few days. I' will contact an electrician and Southern California Edison (SCE) for consultations on the requirements of preparing my home for an EVSE this upcoming week. I'm hoping to get some advice on this forum concurrently and perhaps meet some of you in the process.

I'm looking at preparing my home for a ClipperCreek HCS-40P EVSE. This is the model with a NEMA plug so I can take it with me when I relocate. My residential service voltage is 240V. I have a single Smart Connect Meter and one electrical panel. I live in a single family 1990-built home built in West Corona, CA. I am still deciding between a single-meter (SCE's Home & Electric Vehicle Plan with shared home electricity) or dual-meter (second meter for dedicated EV charging) setup.

Could anyone comment on the type of work involved and the cost to get this setup ready for an EVSE (either single or dual meter) and/or recommend electricians around Corona, CA and the type of wiring? From what I've gathered, I will likely ask for two NEMA outlet to be installed on the opposite side of the electrical panel connected by 50A wires and one 30A circuit breaker (for the ClipperCreek EVSE) and a second of undecided amperage circuit breaker (for future-proofing) to be installed.

This is how my electrical panel looks like from the outside.

These are the components currently installed. There are a bunch of circuit breakers for large appliances.

You need a double 40a breaker for the 40p. Slam dunk. Don't get too wrapped up in future proofing. Just get what you need.
Second meter is probably more money than it is worth. Solar and EV-TOU rates go well together if you can keep the air off weekdays from 10a to 6p.

Back