EVSE Level II DIY - NEED HELP & ADVICE -- PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, unless you have multiple 20A outlets on the branch, you must stick to a 20A breaker limit.

We advise customers to run heavier wire, such as #8 or #10, so they can easily upgrade the feed in the future if the like. The extra cost of the wire is negligible, and usually the labor to pull the wire is the bulk of the cost. (of course DIY is free)

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Yes, unless you have multiple 20A outlets on the branch, you must stick to a 20A breaker limit.
I you have multiple 20A receptacles on a single circuit, they must be protected by a 20A breaker. [2008 NEC 210.21(B)(3)]

Cheers, Wayne

Ingineer said:

We advise customers to run heavier wire, such as #8 or #10, so they can easily upgrade the feed in the future if the like. The extra cost of the wire is negligible, and usually the labor to pull the wire is the bulk of the cost. (of course DIY is free)

-Phil

Yes,
I used about $2 worth of #10/2C ROMEX wire. It would take me about 5 minutes to replace it with something else. The only part cheaper than the wire was the plastic insert for the knockout on the panel...and i think the wallplate was a few cents less. I can't really put a cost on the labor, since I did it myself and it took about 15 minutes. I don't charge for less than 30 minutes of my time. Since it was my DIY project for the weekend, I was cutting a few corners that I would not recommend for the inexperienced. This was not the type of project I would expect someone to tackle if they have never worked around levels of electricity that WILL KILL you.

That said, I saved a about 20 minutes of work by skipping an initial step of the process. The main breaker for the house is actually outside the garage, separate from the breaker panel, and conveniently located behind a bed of tall thorny bushes that required significant trimming with hedgers to gain access to the main. So, I saved some time and skipped that part all together. This does of course mean that I performed the work on a "hot" breaker panel. I was safe though...had the girlfriend standing by with the garden hose to spray me down in case I got bit by the main bus.

Back