EVSE Rebates?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeS

Hi Guys,
Getting ready to get my leaf. Was thinking of getting the Aerovironment 30A charger ($799). I'm in NYS. Any credits I should be aware of? I think I just missed a Federal rebate :evil:

Mike S.

If you have the low-end 3.8 kW on-board charger, look at the Clipper Creek LCS-25, $495:
http://clippercreek.com/store/product/charging-station-lcs-25-level-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Upgraded 6.6 kW OBC, look at HCS-40, $590:
http://clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40-30a-240v-charging-25-cord-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Superior quality, made in the USA. I've had my HCS-40 for one month, and it works great.

You're right: you just missed the rebates. However, with the way they were written it was unlikely that you could have taken your car rebate AND the EVSE rebate in the same year.
My first recommendation would be to upgrade the "stock" 110v EVSE that comes with the car to 220v; after that I would look at the Bosch units (both 16A and 30A depending on your config).

I love the Aerovironment that I got lucky enough to get for about $400 from the EV Project. I should get some of that back from IRS. I paid fees and such... otherwise free.

Were I to buy today without the tax write-offs the EV hating republicans canceled... I'd go with the Cripple Creeks or Levitons. Perhaps someone should start a thread of the EVSE prices (best deals) for most models. Are refurbs available anywhere for any of them...should they be?

Thanks for the replies.

I'm leasing so I don't really want to modify the cable.

I like the price of the BOSH 30A but hesitant because of the lack of lights on the unit. That might seem silly...maybe an emotional response, but the AV at least has a status/trouble/ready etc.

Also, whats the deal with breaking units? If a new unit needs to be re installed who pays. Reminds me of my car. I just bought some 6000K HID lights for my G37. They were bad, now I need to change em out. However, I can't change them myself (need to take out the wheel liners, etc). So I'm stuck paying labor to change out something cheap.

I was going to buy the AV 30A (799) and I got a quote of 700 from a local electrician to install the unit.

Mike S.

If you have a good mechanical background consider building your own OpenEVSE. I have built half a dozen over the past 2 years and to date there have been no failures. It takes 3-4 hundred dollars in parts. The most expensive item is the J1772 cable. A 15A cable is $100 ( Amazon and a 30A cable is $170 ( Amazon).

The OpenEVSE thread is at the front of the EVSE listings.

MikeS said:
I like the price of the BOSH 30A but hesitant because of the lack of lights on the unit. That might seem silly...maybe an emotional response, but the AV at least has a status/trouble/ready etc.

The Clipper Creek units have similar lights. http://www.clippercreek.com/pdf/HCS-40-Users-Manual_v1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and scroll to page 8.

jsongster said:
Were I to buy today without the tax write-offs the EV hating republicans canceled...
At the risk of hijacking the thread, I can't let such nonsense stand. The Federal EVSE tax credit was originally created in 2005 when Republicans controlled the House of Representatives, the Senate, and the White House. The law called for it to expire at the end of 2011. It was updated in 2009 when Democrats controlled both houses and the Presidency. They could have changed the expiration date, but they didn't, so it expired as scheduled on December 31, 2011. Thus it was created by Republicans, and not "canceled" at all.

In January of 2013 the credit was resurrected by joint agreement between the two political parties (who of course had split control of the legislature at that point) as part of the "Fiscal Cliff" deal. It was made retroactive for 2012 and extended to the end of 2013. Again, reactivated with Republican approval and not "canceled" by anyone.

Ray

MikeS said:
I'm leasing so I don't really want to modify the cable.
As has been said many times on this board, that's not a problem. Dealers are, in every case we've heard of, happy to take an upgraded unit. EVSEupgrade is more than willing to swap units. There are many people on this board who would be eager to trade with you, and even give you some cash as part of the deal.

Ray

Back