Extending BMS Sensor wires

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

em57

I am doing an EV conversion of my old toyota pickup and have leaf stack and battery modules from a 2014 leaf. I am looking for any recommendations on types of connectors (and crimping device) to use to make an extension cord" of sorts to extend/adapt many of the bms sensor wires to a new configuration where all the batteries in the original pack will be placed in two new battery boxes (in another vehicle). I have rearranged all Lithium Batteries into two (2) groups held together with the long all-thread screws. Need to extend the BMS sensor wires from one pack to reach the new pack. Based on articles I have read Mini Molex are good. The original connectors are also available from Mouser. Just wondering if anyone found a good system that is more user friendly as I will have many of these connections to make.

These 2 groups of cells will all be enclosed in the same housing?--That is to say there won't be any BMS wires external to this housing that could short to the chassis?

Lots of good EV conversion information is available on another forum, diyelectriccar dot com

Last edited:
I'd extend the BMS wires by joining and soldering them and heat shrink sleeve them. Use similar gauge wire to the original. Where you run them in bundles you should heat shrink again. The voltage difference between cells alongside one another is small but the wires need to be very carefully insulated from the battery frame. Avoid running wires wherever they can get pinched. When you are getting to cells at the hot end of the pack you're talking about getting close to 400v DC so you need to take great care.

These 2 groups of cells will all be enclosed in the same housing?--That is to say there won't be any BMS wires external to this housing that could short to the chassis?

Lots of good EV conversion information is available on another forum, diyelectriccar dot com
Thanks - Yes that is what i am hoping to make - a 6 ft long metal box to lay both battery sets in (all modules in original leaf pack). All bms sensor wires wires will br

Yes the two groups of cells will lay in one long battery box and all the sensor wires will be inside box all going to the LBC that will also be in box.

I'd extend the BMS wires by joining and soldering them and heat shrink sleeve them. Use similar gauge wire to the original. Where you run them in bundles you should heat shrink again. The voltage difference between cells alongside one another is small but the wires need to be very carefully insulated from the battery frame. Avoid running wires wherever they can get pinched. When you are getting to cells at the hot end of the pack you're talking about getting close to 400v DC so you need to take great care.
Thanks that all sounds like good advice. Soldering may turn out to be best bet in long run after I figure out exact wire lengths and make double check all bus bar connections going to the correct pins on LBC. Less connections the less can go wrong.

Back