Extending lease, are there any new expenses in year 3?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianlin

Hello All:

I am currently at the end of a two year lease. I have decided to extend for another year. Are there any additional expenses for year 3?

For example: it is my understanding that the only REQUIRED services during the first two years are tire rotation and annual battery check, and the first two battery checks are supposed to be free. Are there any additional REQUIRED services during year 3?

Also, does Carwings subscription expire after two years? Do I have to pay for additional year?

As long as you don't go beyond year 3 there should be no additional expenses regarding mandatory service items like the battery check. Any other expenses would be related to Nissan's recommended maintenance schedule, and especially tires if you have the Bridgestone Ecopia 422's (which most Leafs came from the factory with) as they tend to wear out rather quickly. If you have not had a brake flush done yet, that might be your next most expensive service, but some folks feel that Nissan's 2 year interval is too soon. Another one is the cabin air filter which requires glovebox disassembly, but mine is over 2 years old and I am not noticing any significant decrease in airflow from the HVAC. Other than that it's just tire rotations and non-battery-related inspections which if you're somewhat mechanically inclined you can do yourself, and if not you can have an independent mechanic do for you.

CarWings subscriptions were supposed be free for 3 years but some folks have had their cars for longer than that and still have service without paying for it. AFAIK Nissan has not announced how much a subscription would cost, and that could be due to the fact that it relies on AT&T's 2G service which is scheduled to end at the end of 2016. AFAIK Nissan has not announced any retrofit programs for existing CarWings units.

I believe Nissan said that Carwings will be free for the foreseeable future, but they reserve the right to change their minds and announce pricing for it. (My understanding is that there is no pricing available for the service, and there probably won't be because they know it has a finite life left.)

You basically got your answers, but (in general) I don't think folks realize how CHEAP it is to operate a Leaf; I've spent about $100 in total on maintenance (not counting tires...which every car has) in almost 4 years. What you should be asking is "should I BUY my Leaf instead of extending the lease"?

Back