Failed To Charge At Nissan Dealership

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRTKD

A couple months ago I tried to charge my 2019 Leaf SV+ at a Nissan dealership where charging has worked before. Both the CHAdeMO and level 2 stations connected but wouldn't initiate a charge. It's like the car wouldn't take a charge. The station seemed to recognize that the car was connected. These stations were out in the parking lot. I'm out of the 3/36 warranty and any online subscriptions (for the app) are expired. I don't know what happened. I spent 30 minutes trying to figure it out, going through the screens on the stations. I even asked the service department but they didn't know anything about it. They did offer to let me try the charging stations in the service drive, but I had wasted enough time.

I wasn't trying to get a full charge. I really wanted to make sure it still worked because I'm anticipating taking a trip where charging at a Nissan dealership would be very helpful.

What happened?

HRTKD said:
They did offer to let me try the charging stations in the service drive, but I had wasted enough time.
Should have taken them up on it; at least it would have given another data point.
Don't assume that charging stations work just because they are at a dealership...and don't assume that you will have any better/different luck at another dealership. Welcome to the world of "public" charging (I can only guarantee that the EVSE in my garage works)!

cwerdna said:
What did Plugshare say?

Good thought. It looks like I'm not the only one that failed to charge. One Leaf owner managed to charge on the CHAdeMO with a credit card this month. Prior posts indicate that the credit card didn't work, which is what I think I was dealing with. It never prompted for a payment.

Larry Miller Nissan: https://www.plugshare.com/location/1970

The CHadeMO station at one of my local Nissan dealerships requires a credit card, while their Level 2 chargers parked in front of the dealership's new car sales was free, but is only a Level 2. Having said that, when I asked about the CHadeMO station's status, I was told that they aren't sure if it works.

HRTKD said:
cwerdna said:
What did Plugshare say?

Good thought. It looks like I'm not the only one that failed to charge. One Leaf owner managed to charge on the CHAdeMO with a credit card this month. Prior posts indicate that the credit card didn't work, which is what I think I was dealing with. It never prompted for a payment.

Larry Miller Nissan: https://www.plugshare.com/location/1970
Well, the Plugshare score is pretty poor but unfortunately, not a lot of people are checking in either.. Oh well.

If you want to DC FC, I'd suggest finding another CHAdeMO charger w/higher ratings and good recent check-ins.
HRTKD said:
I wasn't trying to get a full charge. I really wanted to make sure it still worked because I'm anticipating taking a trip where charging at a Nissan dealership would be very helpful.
I wouldn't depend on charging at any Nissan dealers. Suggest finding other sites as backups or primary charging means. +100 on what Stanton said.

If you're going to use other networks, don't use credit card readers. See https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/first-dcfc-in-a-while-and-it-was-sloooooow.43865/#post-722438 as to why. It's not an EA-only problem. Have seen the same prob on EVgo + other networks. Also, don't depend on Electrify America w/a CHAdeMO car. They only have 1 CHAdeMO handle at each site... if it's down, ICEd or some clueless CCS driver uses that charger and leaves the area...

Not to divert/hijack - but tangent to "charging at dealership" thread; are most Nissan dealerships cool with we (older) Leaf'sters recharging if their slots are open? I've done it a few times, and - if staff were around - always asked politely and was never turned away.

Interestingly, however, my closest dealer has now begun turning-off their stations after hours :(. I've seen no signs of abusing availability, but wonder if that might be a corporate-vs-local decision? It's only a L2 (there's a chademo adjacent, that has defied my attempts to enable/pay/use). 'Thoughts there?

Moderators, et-al; please feel free to chide if this should be elsewhere, and I'll drop it + relocate. THX

Not to divert/hijack - but tangent to "charging at dealership" thread; are most Nissan dealerships cool with we (older) Leaf'sters recharging if their slots are open? I've done it a few times, and - if staff were around - always asked politely and was never turned away.

Interestingly, however, my closest dealer has now begun turning-off their stations after hours :(. I've seen no signs of abusing availability, but wonder if that might be a corporate-vs-local decision? It's only a L2 (there's a chademo adjacent, that has defied my attempts to enable/pay/use). 'Thoughts there?
I have never been refused a charge at a Nissan dealership (not that I've done it very often), but it is completely dependent on the local dealership/ownership. Having said that, they certainly have the right to limit access and/or "turn it off" at night; after all, it's their "nickel".

I live around Phila and have used Chademo chargers at probably 10 Nissan Dealers over the years. Never had to pay. They usually work great and are usually available 24/7. My local Nissan dealer where I did not buy my car - they don't try to sell EVs - at some point started giving me the run around (drive around?) why their L2 was not working so I totally stopped going there for charging and service. Another Nissan dealer near the Phila airport puts a chain across their driveway after hours but otherwise are fine with charging.

The only time I have been to a Nissan dealership in the 4+ years I have owned it was for a software update, and while it was there, I asked if they could give it a quick charge. They said sure, so I waited a half hour and then went to check on the status. I found they had it plugged in to a Level 2 EVSE, so I asked why they hadn't used a Chademo, and they said they didn't know if they had one! The service manager checked with his manager, and was told they had installed a quick charger "a couple of months ago", but had no idea what kind it was. I suspect since they are now selling Ariyas it was a CCS unit. I was amazed at how little they knew about their electric vehicles, and how little they really seemed to care.

Update/thx-for-feedback: Was near my local dealership, and popped in to check, and fortunately their L2 was back online😊.. 'Do not know if the previous "unpowered" situation was a problem/maintenance, or purposeful after-hours security.

Interestingly, they DO have a Chademo - but it's a non-free/networked unit with an odd (non-Chargepoint/EVgo/?) interface and payment process. I've googled up the details on the charger company, largely to no avail; the info takes me to the mfr - to licence an installation, etc; 'nothing for the driver to establish payment etc.

Next time I'm there, I'll take some pictures, and poll the members here, to see if they have any hints as how to sign-up/pay. Meanwhile, I might pop inside and see if one of the employees has any insights as how to establish - - or, if it's for their own use, and they use a corporate credit card <?>...hmmm.

Back