Federal Tax Credit for EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hodad66 said:
Lets see if the Pugs remove the tax credit in their
efforts to balance the budget. (and to kiss the butts
of their petro-buddies)
Well as a Pug myself I know it was passed by both sides. SO THE ANSWER IS NO :mrgreen:

Gonewild said:
Well as a Pug myself I know it was passed by both sides. SO THE ANSWER IS NO :mrgreen:
Plenty of Republican voters believe that conserving natural resources is conservative, and believe that being dependent on foreign oil powers is bad for national security, and some of those voters are represented in Congress.

And then even if the Republican House did vote to repeal green laws, they'd have to pass the Democratic Senate and then survive a presidential veto. About all they could do is hold up funding of authorized programs which, the way bills are mixed together, could pretty much only happen as part of an overall shutdown of government like in 1995.

smkettner said:
I firmly believe the federal gas tax should be increased by 50 cents to a dollar.
Add 5 to 10 cents each year over the next ten years will encorage more EVs and provide for any shortfall
States should do similar

So you want the costs of goods and services to climb as well? People fail to realize how much fuel prices drive this economy. The trucks that bring the goods to you do not run cheap. Increased cost in fuel is just passed along to consumers.

Skywagon said:
smkettner said:
I firmly believe the federal gas tax should be increased by 50 cents to a dollar.
Add 5 to 10 cents each year over the next ten years will encorage more EVs and provide for any shortfall
States should do similar

So you want the costs of goods and services to climb as well? People fail to realize how much fuel prices drive this economy. The trucks that bring the goods to you do not run cheap. Increased cost in fuel is just passed along to consumers.

I certainly do. I fully realize how the price of goods & services are influenced by fuel costs. But a reasonable ramp up of the gas tax would help everyone make better choices as to what vehicles they buy and how they use them. Cheap gas = wasteful practices. Our current situation is proof of that. I believe we pay far less for gas now than we did 20 years ago (adjusted for inflation).

Well goods, anyway.

Increased diesel fuel prices will encourage a shift of long-haul freight movement towards rail and away from the road - a good thing in and of itself - which would help mitigate the cost increase seen by consumers. Train engines burn diesel fuel the same as trucks, but they move freight far more efficiently so the economics of long-haul shipping will move in favor of rail.

Skywagon said:

Hard to know which tax thread to bring back from the dead. So I'll just go for this one. :D

Draft copy of the form we need to claim our Federal tax credit (Form 8936) is up on the IRS web site, if anyone wants to download it and play. NOTE: it is only a draft copy, and may differ from the final version:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/f8936--dft.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Linky no worky.
(Missing f)
The missing link: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/f8936--dft.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

too much of the cost and damage from gasoline pollution is largely externalized.
capturing some of that for the commons, and placing a more realistic price on extraction industries will create more jobs, and reduce costs long term.

yes, raise the tax on gasoline and provide tax offsets for people below a certain income level. yes, that will raise the cost of goods and services but it will provide a more accurate price for competing energy and slow the demand for foreign oil
what does it cost to put the 3rd Stryker Brigade in Iraq for a year?

I notice that they're adding a box for the VIN of the vehicle. That was missing in last year's form. Hopefully, they will be cracking down on cheats.

I have been doing some research on tax programs for this year, and it looks like Turbo Tax Deluxe and Tax Act Deluxe both include support for the charging station credit ( Form 8911) and the EV Credit (Form 8936). H&R Block does not.
I hope that helps...

asinclair said:
I have been doing some research on tax programs for this year, and it looks like Turbo Tax Deluxe and Tax Act Deluxe both include support for the charging station credit ( Form 8911) and the EV Credit (Form 8936). H&R Block does not.
I hope that helps...
Nice to know in advance, thanks ;)

smkettner said:
asinclair said:
I hope that helps...
Nice to know in advance, thanks ;)

Ack! HR Block are such a pain. Last year no form 8911 and this year no 8936? GRRR!

All for raising the gas tax but first lets kill the 10 BILLION in corporate welfare paid to the oil companies first. Just think of how many EV charging station you could install for 10 billion. Then get rid of the billions of ethanol hand out money and use it to install solar panels in houses. Then once that's done you can raise the gas tax and send that money to state road project that are badly needed.

All the EV related forms are in Turbo Tax. The list it on there website.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/forms-deluxe.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back