Flat Tire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aqn said:
Yup, it's.... 4 bolts in 100mm circle[/u][/url].

Well..... I'm doing this from memory, but somebody else suggested the Miata wheel; I did look into it at the time, and found one on eBay for $$$$$$. I could have easily overlooked the wheel pattern... Miata has different lug pattern. The NC is 5-lug. The NA is 4-lug.

NEWS FLASH !!! I think it was the Mazda RX7 or RX8 !!

The spare tires from the third gen. RX7 "FC" 1992-2002 will work on the Mazda Miata "NC".

You can order a Mazda RX8 mini-spare but it will cost you around $400 from the dealer.
The spare is extremely light weight (aluminum wheel).

Hello, I am thinking of getting a spare tire.

Would one of these work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-NISSAN-ALTIMA-SPARE-TIRE-2002-2010-135-90-16-/250875826032?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a695d4f70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, I remember reading somewhere not to mount the spare tire on the front? Is that correct?

tjz said:
How did you get that spare tire mounted there? Is there an existing attachment point?
aqn said:
He didn't, at least, not in that picture :) . He did say "Here's the best place..." not "Here's where I store it".

There is nothing to mount the tire under the rear. You have to either remove the rear aerodynamic "fairing", or cut a hole in it for the tire.

The actual mounting can be done many ways. You could very simply drill a hole through the trunk, and "mount" it on studs. Or a carefully constructed web material like used on ships. Heavy bungees.

My installation uses a mount from a GM product. I'll do a proper write up/pics at some point in the future. I seem to be working on too many LEAF things at one time!

greenleaf said:

Would one of these work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-NISSAN-ALTIMA-SPARE-TIRE-2002-2010-135-90-16-/250875826032?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a695d4f70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, I remember reading somewhere not to mount the spare tire on the front? Is that correct?

That is EXACTLY the best one for the job (has ventilation for the brake rotor, and cheap).

MAKE SURE YOU GET A JACK FOR THE VERSA / ALTIMA !!!! Send a note to the eBay guy and tell him you want the lug wrench and jack included.

Some people don't want to mount on the front because the diameter is slightly different, and the axle differential will actually have to do its job. There is absolutely NO WAY that the tiny bit of driving you would ever do with a spare is going to damage something. The manufacturers, who supply cars with spares, don't specify to not put it on the differential axle (front or rear, depending on which one is the drive).

So, it's like a lot of things that we agonize over on the internet. Is it ideal? No. But, neither is an electric car that takes 7 hours to charge!

greenleaf said:
TonyWilliams said:
Some people don't want to mount on the front because the diameter is slightly different, and the axle differential will actually have to do its job. There is absolutely NO WAY that the tiny bit of driving you would ever do with a spare is going to damage something. The manufacturers, who supply cars with spares, don't specify to not put it on the differential axle (front or rear, depending on which one is the drive).

So, it's like a lot of things that we agonize over on the internet. Is it ideal? No. But, neither is an electric car that takes 7 hours to charge!
I never put the spare tire on the front in the interest of safety, especially if the spare is a "miniature" or less than "full size". I want as much rubber and as much traction in the front tires as possible, as they provide most of the traction for acceleration and for braking.

greenleaf said:

Would one of these work?

This is the same spare I am using for my LEAF. I have a tire bag for the compact spare and usually keep the spare lying flat on the cargo organizer.

Dave

aqn said:
I never put the spare tire on the front in the interest of safety, especially if the spare is a "miniature" or less than "full size". I want as much rubber and as much traction in the front tires as possible, as they provide most of the traction for acceleration and for braking.

That's certainly a good point. I just drive slow to the repair shop.

But, if I had to drive it for an extended period (flat over Xmas day, out in the barren desert, earth quake, wild fires, other disaster), I'd probably put it on the rear only. If it went flat, I'd keep driving.......

For some reason, I can't send this without an error message, but for those who want to know where to find Altima spare wheels in San Diego, drive the LEAF down to the Mexican border. Be sure and bring something to protect the interior of your car from a dirty spare tire.

From a google maps search, "junk yards near Otay Mesa", you'll get lots of choices.

Happy hunting. Don't pay too much and RAISE the prices for everybody behind you !!!!

Ok, there's a bad cloud over my head... Flat tire number three:

7f48eca9.jpg

41bd6e9f.jpg

It's some type of wrench. This isn't the type of damage that can be repaired, so I'm trying to get a replacement today. I need to be going to the EV parade in about 2 hours.

Or, I can just drive on the spare (I actually have two) until I can get a new tire.

Let me reiterate: DON'T USE THE GOOP/SLIME to fix tires. It won't fix something like this, and will likely destroy the expensive tire pressure sensor.

Call a tow truck (courtesy of Nissan or AAA), or carry a spare tire, jack, and lug wrench.

During weekday business hours, http://www.onlinetires.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has
an office open in Cerritos. They list our 2011 LEAF tire at about $90
(plus tax, and shipping if needed).

I have been meaning to arrange to buy at least 5 tires from them.

Do others want to try for a group buy?

garygid said:
During weekday business hours, http://www.onlinetires.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has

I have been meaning to arrange to buy at least 5 tires from them.

Do others want to try for a group buy?

do you get the ecotopia summer for our climate or the yearround?

garygid said:

Thanks, hopefully that will be on my doorstep midweek.

Retail Price: $105.54/each
Sale Price: $87.95/each

Brand: BRIDGESTONE P205 55R 16
Part #: 144543

Brand: BRIDGESTONE
Part #: 144543
Size: 205/55-16
Speed Rating: H
Type: -
Load Index: 91
Load Range:
Sidewall: BL

Subtotal: $87.95
Shipping & Handling: $9.10
Tax: $7.70

TOTAL: $104.75

Actually, we have the 89H, not the 91H, right?

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
205/55-16 89H

Is the 91H better in LRR or some other way?

A current Special:
On a set of 4 or more, up to $100 off when using
an AmExp Rewards card to purchase.

Back