Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spike09 said:
evenoelle said:
So - is anyone else joining at the Drive Electric Tour on Saturday?

At last count I think it was 5 of us....

1) Me
2) Spike
3) BrainDonor
4) now7grandkids
5) N1ghtrider

Is everyone still set so that we overlap at 3 pm?

Looking forward to meeting you all :D
I went there this afternoon on my lunch break. KeyDiver and I took pictures of FPL's Leaf. Another pic for my EV Facebook album.

406498_10150500845736898_691786897_9451945_1392073363_n.jpg

I also learned how to use the DC quick charger.

421655_10150500702051898_691786897_9451600_477312289_n.jpg

Set aside some time to check out the FREE Nissan Health And Fitness Expo running from 10 to 6. The Expo runs Friday and Saturday Only.

They WILL be expecting some Leaf owners around 3pm! We can enter directly into the parking lot area where they are test driving the cars (the corner of Convention Center Drive and 18th street). I will try and make it
Nothing gets me more, than watching a Chademo hook up.
:D

N1ghtrider said:
Nice to see you other Leafers this afternoon. When and where are we going to have another official meet-up?

Looks like another GCEAA meeting has been scheduled for Feb 11th. I'm planning to be there.

http://www.goldcoasteaa.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also was it brightonuk who had the particulars on the car show at the home depot parking lot? I'd be up for that.

N1ghtrider said:
Nice to see you other Leafers this afternoon. When and where are we going to have another official meet-up?
If anyone would like to go the Drive Electric this dreary Sunday afternoon I will be more than happy to join them! Just let me know what time you plan to arrive at the Convention Center.

evenoelle said:
- It was interesting to find out about FPL's charger program. There are several qualifications to meet, but what we were basically told was that the program offers a free charger for those who own their home and who purchase the LEAF. We signed up for more information so I will share anything new that we learn.

It is an FPL pilot program to monitor the effect of EV charging on the grid. The initial phase monitored the Leaf and Volts that FPL uses internally. They just expanded it to the public two weeks ago. The FPL rep told me they only plan to give away 40 chargers.

Nissan also just started a "Home Charging Dock Sweepstakes". They are giving away 50 charges, 5 a week for the next 10 weeks, but you only need to enter once. Here is the link http://nissan.promo.eprize.com/sweeps/ in case you did not get the email from Nissan.

If I am one of the lucky ones I will either sell my old one or find a local business who would install on the condition they not charge money to use it.

spike09 said:
evenoelle said:
-If I am one of the lucky ones I will either sell my old one or find a local business who would install on the condition they not charge money to use it.

Spike: If you donate it to a business on the condition that they do not charge money to use it, I will volunteer (pro bono) to draft an enforceable legal agreement to that effect.

evenoelle said:
Nice to finally meet some of you guys today! :D

Spike - We checked out the "ELECTRIC" lettering on your car before we left....very nice!

BrainDonor - Trust you made it home ok - thanks for helping me try to get over my range anxiety about driving up to Ft. Lauderdale!

<snip>
It was nice meeting you as well. Thanks for thinking of me. I arrived home with about 8 miles left on the GOM and I got the LBW for the first time about a mile away from home. Today I drove the LEAF to Hollywood, charged for about 6 hours on 120V, then made it back home with about 7 miles on the GOM. Got the LBW again. I should say that all trips were at about a 65 mph average on I-95 and A/C was on all the time. So Eve, you should be able to make it to your sister's home and back in one day (assuming you have access to a 120V outlet).

One thing to note, after charging on L3 at the Nissan drive event, my battery temperature gauge was showing 7 bars and it stayed like that the entire drive home. I have always seen 5 or 6 bars before. Has anyone else seen 7 bars after an L3 charge?

BrainDonor said:
So Eve, you should be able to make it to your sister's home and back in one day (assuming you have access to a 120V outlet).

One thing to note, after charging on L3 at the Nissan drive event, my battery temperature gauge was showing 7 bars and it stayed like that the entire drive home. I have always seen 5 or 6 bars before. Has anyone else seen 7 bars after an L3 charge?

Well the plan is to head up there in a few weeks for a birthday -- at this point I feel WAY more comfortable about doing it. Although my husband keeps asking me if I am going to pack pajamas so I can stay overnight while the car charges :lol:

As for the temp of the battery after the L3 charge, I heard that it always raises your battery temp by at least one bar. We didn't try it because we were close to 80% when we got there.

EdmondLeaf said:
BrainDonor said:
I arrived home with about 8 miles left on the GOM and I got the LBW for the first time about a mile away from home.
can you elaborate, miles driven, bars used, CC, mkWh?
I did not keep exact figures, but the following are pretty accurate: 70 miles driven, of which about 60 were on I-95 at an average speed of 65mph. The remaining miles were on roads with 45mph speed limits and some traffic lights. CC was on the whole time, set for 70 degrees. Outside temps were in the mid-70s. Carwings showed 4.1 miles/kW for the entire trip, with this being the return segment of the trip, so the 4.1 figure should be pretty accurate. When the LBW came up I had one bar on the battery guage.

For me this was a 100 mile trip, and I actually managed 5.2 m/kwh, and held it to 55 mph on 95. If I were more gutsy, I might have tried to make it the whole way without a charge, but the stop in Delray also gave me a chance to eat dinner, so it was worth it. The 5.2 really surprised me, as I can't even do that around here at mostly 35-45 MPH!

keydiver said:
For me this was a 100 mile trip, and I actually managed 5.2 m/kwh, and held it to 55 mph on 95. If I were more gutsy, I might have tried to make it the whole way without a charge, but the stop in Delray also gave me a chance to eat dinner, so it was worth it. The 5.2 really surprised me, as I can't even do that around here at mostly 35-45 MPH!
What about CC, I assume you did 100 miles from 100% and 2 h of 240 charge? 5.2 with 55mph is really nice, according to Tony's chart 5.2 is at 45mph. I also noticed that highway gives me better mkWh than local roads (profile, wind protection?)

Yes, I tried to use CC most of the way, except when traffic was heavy. I charged to 100% on both ends, stopped about 1 hour for breakfast at Delray Beach, and arrived in Miami with 18 miles left on the GOM. Coming home I actually made a side trip that took me >20 miles out of my way, so I stopped at Delray Beach for ~1 1/2 hours, and arrive home with only 9 miles on the GOM. I expected to get LBW at any moment, but never did.

I recently got my Leaf in Dec. Wasn't sure how many other Floridians had gotten theirs. If you guys are planning a meet, I'd be interested.

tjbrinson said:
I recently got my Leaf in Dec. Wasn't sure how many other Floridians had gotten theirs. If you guys are planning a meet, I'd be interested.

Welcome to the world of S FL leafers. If you're anywhere near Delray and your schedule permits, come on out to this meeting on the 11th:

http://www.goldcoasteaa.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edit: Never mind, I just saw you are in Orlando... although you'd still be welcome :D

How about one a little further south this time.

The Friday evening car meet at University and Nova drive is a good option plenty of gearheads and menbers of the public looking at the rides

LTLFTcomposite said:
edit: Never mind, I just saw you are in Orlando... although you'd still be welcome :D

I checked out the pics, looks like it be worth the drive. Although, I'll have to find a place to charge along the way.

[edit] I just googled the milage, about 180 miles. that'll be pushing it. maybe there is something like it closer to home.

Brightonuk said:
How about one a little further south this time.

The Friday evening car meet at University and Nova drive is a good option plenty of gearheads and menbers of the public looking at the rides

I'll be stopping by the Delray meeting though as it's close by for me. I'd like to do the car meet as well, although this Friday doesn't work as I'm out of town. One nice thing about the car meet FWIW is getting a chance to spread the word to others not already tuned into EVs.

Another interesting tidbit I just noticed about my drive to Miami on Friday: according to Carwings I regenerated 6.6kwh! I guess all that bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go traffic around Miami really added up. The total distance traveled was 212.6 miles, and I used 42.0 kWh.

Back