Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am waiting back to hear from FPL to see if I am approved. Taking up an offer for a free charger would be an easy decision if I did not already have one! I researched all the units before deciding on the AV EVSE. It is a reliable, compact and unobtrusive unit. It was also the only one with a 25ft cable. After having used it I really like the front panel LED design that make it very clear to see the charging status even from a distance.

From what I read in the forums, some people are still having problems with their Blink units even with the 2.0 software upgrade. I can not imagine having to double check every time just to make sure my car is charging! The fact is the complexity of adding networking, logging and timers to the EVSE unit itself is better suited for commercial installations. I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of replacing a perfectly good unit with one that I might not like as much. I have yet to find somewhere practical, that is between 40 to 80 miles away from my home, to install my existing unit. I guess I could hold on to my existing unit until I am sure my new unit is worth keeping.
Heard back from the FPL rep responsible for the Pilot EV program. They will not be able to install a charger until I get a smart meter installed. The good news is I am on the waiting list. Apparently FPL has not ínstalled any smart meter for customers who net meter (sell back excess electricty to the grid). They are not rolling it out until the summer but I have been put on the top of the list to be the first one to get a smart meter since I have an EV. The bad news is the time frame she gave me was "sometime in March, April or May". This gives me time to decide what to do with my exsisting unit. Although donating it as a public charger would be great I now realize that might not be ideal since my unit does not have a wireless connection and therefore it would be dificult to know its status or reserve it. I must read up on how the West Coast handles EVSEs that are "out in the wild".

spike09 said:
I am waiting back to hear from FPL to see if I am approved. Taking up an offer for a free charger would be an easy decision if I did not already have one! I researched all the units before deciding on the AV EVSE. It is a reliable, compact and unobtrusive unit. It was also the only one with a 25ft cable. After having used it I really like the front panel LED design that make it very clear to see the charging status even from a distance.

From what I read in the forums, some people are still having problems with their Blink units even with the 2.0 software upgrade. I can not imagine having to double check every time just to make sure my car is charging! The fact is the complexity of adding networking, logging and timers to the EVSE unit itself is better suited for commercial installations. I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of replacing a perfectly good unit with one that I might not like as much. I have yet to find somewhere practical, that is between 40 to 80 miles away from my home, to install my existing unit. I guess I could hold on to my existing unit until I am sure my new unit is worth keeping.
Heard back from the FPL rep responsible for the Pilot EV program. They will not be able to install a charger until I get a smart meter installed. The good news is I am on the waiting list. Apparently FPL has not ínstalled any smart meter for customers who net meter (sell back excess electricty to the grid). They are not rolling it out until the summer but I have been put on the top of the list to be the first one to get a smart meter since I have an EV. The bad news is the time frame she gave me was "sometime in March, April or May". This gives me time to decide what to do with my exsisting unit. Although donating it as a public charger would be great I now realize that might not ideal since my unit does not have a wireless connection and therefore it would be dificult to know its status or reserve it. I must read up on how the West Coast handles EVSEs that are "out in the wild".

Your AV unit would have to go into another residential or light commercial setting wouldn't it? Aren't "real" public charging stations a lot less plastic-ey?

Heard back from the FPL rep responsible for the Pilot EV program. They will not be able to install a charger until I get a smart meter installed.

Spike try contacting SPX I do not have a smart meter installed ether but they have told me that I need to set up an inspection time for the install

As for the AV EVSE I was told by SPX that it was a Blink or Clipper Creek nothing about an EVSE but looking at the SPX site they only list Blink and the Charge Point CT500 which is my choice, if I get a choice as the available incentive units (I assume this means free program).

How did you come to an EVSE model?

N1ghtrider posted the contact information in an earlier post for SPX

Your AV unit would have to go into another residential or light commercial setting wouldn't it? Aren't "real" public charging stations a lot less plastic-ey?

No the Blink units have the same plastic housing. I have a commercial Blink and you would think make it from tin or something similar but it has the same housing as the residential units just has a card reader and different firmware

Brightonuk said:
Heard back from the FPL rep responsible for the Pilot EV program. They will not be able to install a charger until I get a smart meter installed.

Spike try contacting SPX I do not have a smart meter installed ether but they have told me that I need to set up an inspection time for the install

As for the AV EVSE I was told by SPX that it was a Blink or Clipper Creek nothing about an EVSE but looking at the SPX site they only list Blink and the Charge Point CT500 which is my choice, if I get a choice as the available incentive units (I assume this means free program).

How did you come to an EVSE model?

N1ghtrider posted the contact information in an earlier post for SPX
Yes I contacted SPX in the first place as well. I only had to deal with FPL because of the smart meter issue. SPX is coming by to do my quote but will not be able to do the actual install until I get my smart meter.

I was told we do not get to choose which charger we get.

I bought the AV for several reasons. I eliminated all the small time operators and indoor only units. I then pared it down to units that can deliver 7kW (the Leaf only needs 3.3kW). I wanted a simple, small and reliable unit. They are all in the same price range of $750 to $1000. AV and the GE wattstations both have small footprints but the AV had a 25ft cable. Blink has gotten a bad rap on this forum. Clipper Creek looks too industrial. What ultimately made me choose AV was the fact that they were selected by Nissan and thus commited to the Leaf. I am not happy but I willing to overlook the fact AV builds drone planes for the military. I seriously looked into the EVSE upgrade. It is inexpensive, flexible and portable. I still might get one.

Make sense Spike, I was told that they are only offering the Blink I have had my commercial unit installed for 6 months (Only used it for 2.5) and never had a problem.

The bloke came yesterday and said everything looked fine and it would be an easy install. (DHU I have a Blink installed there now so unplug it and plug in the new one)

The only issue is the short cable on the Blink, it is a real problem when I install it at my office I was thinking outside but with the scumbag tealeaves (Thieves) around this area it would not last a week.

How difficult is it to replace the cable with a 25'? Looks like the Blink's SAE J1772 is accessible what type of cable do I need to use, can it be done?

Think I need a separate post for that question

I live down the road on I-4 in Orlando.
Took delivery of my 2012 Silver LEAF in Dec 2011 and am having a blast with it.
Please let me know if you have any questions...

2012-03-02225342.jpg

2012-03-02225426.jpg

Today the electrician arrived and replaced my $2,300 AV charger with a free Clipper Creek CS-40 installed as part of the Florida Power & Light pilot program to study EV charging use. It has a big, square box (picture with "old" AV unit perched on top for perspective), but is not bad looking. The cord is longer and lets me park the Leaf outside the garage while charging.

ClipperCreekCS-40.jpg

I will offer the AV for sale after I use the Clipper Creek awhile and make sure it works okay.

N1ghtrider said:
Today the electrician arrived and replaced my $2,300 AV charger with a free Clipper Creek CS-40 installed as part of the Florida Power & Light pilot program to study EV charging use. It has a big, square box (picture with "old" AV unit perched on top for perspective), but is not bad looking. The cord is longer and lets me park the Leaf outside the garage while charging.

ClipperCreekCS-40.jpg

I will offer the AV for sale after I use the Clipper Creek awhile and make sure it works okay.
Awesome. I am in the same situation but they have not yet installed my free Clipper Creek. In my case, my cable will be shorter since I currently have a 25' cable.

Let me know if the LED indicator lights on the Clipper Creek are as intuitive as the AVs.

Mine gets installed on Friday they did install some usage meter on Monday.

The Blink lack of charging cable was solved by just splicing a longer (20') onto the OEM one.
Works great now I have 30' of usable charging cable when I install the Blink at my office on Saturday so if you need a charge it is open

My wife was driving the LEAF in east Delray today and, while at a light on a small road, a man came over to her in a golf cart and said he also bought a white LEAF. She did not get to talk much because the light turned and there was traffic behind her.

This doesn't qualify as a wild sighting but it's real close. If you're the person with the golf cart and a white LEAF in Delray, please PM me...

GCEAA meeting tomorrow in Delray.

http://www.goldcoasteaa.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm planning to attend, hope to see any other Leafers who can make it. Let me know if there is any other input to pass along.

Sorry to say that I cannot make it tomorrow. I have a trial starting Monday morning and need to meet with my client to prepare.

My report to the club (if I was able to attend) would be that tomorrow I expect to achieve more than 100 miles on a single charge for the ninth time during the first 2,450 miles on my car. I have already beat 100 miles on a charge 8 times, for a total of 904.8 miles on a single charge during my Leaf's first 2,204 miles (Three of those beat 200 km.)

I have 76 miles on my current charge, with three bars left and should hit 100 miles at 2,450 on the odometer. That will mean that 1,005 of my car's total 2,450 miles (41% of my driving) will have been driven on single charges.

I am not trying to brag, but trying to prove wrong those who think topping 100 miles on a charge is a gimmick or something that rarely can be done under real driving conditions.

LTLFTcomposite said:
GCEAA meeting tomorrow in Delray.

http://www.goldcoasteaa.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm planning to attend, hope to see any other Leafers who can make it. Let me know if there is any other input to pass along.
I can not make it but please let them know I am enjoying every moment with my new car.

Back