For Sale: SPX Power Xpress EL-50600

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTNRanger

The SPX Power Xpress EL-50600 is now selling for $949 (plus tax and shipping) on the SPX website.

The EVSE is new and in the original box. It includes the EVSE, NEMA 6-30 plug (or it can be hardwired), 18 foot straight J1772 cable, mounting bracket, and manuals. I have since decided to purchase the Schneider EVSE instead.

I will sell it for $826 (my cost) plus shipping. This is about a $180 savings over buying it from SPX. I'm not looking to make any money on this - just want it to find a new home!

Please PM if you are interested. Thanks!

Well, it's a long story. I am interested in future-proofing my installation as much as possible. The SPX PowerXpress allows 32A charging (7.2 kW) for future EVs. But you have to upgrade the the NEMA 6-50 outlet cord as well as the J1772 cord. This was not specified in any of the SPX materials until after I bought the unit. I have tried to contact SPX, but they have been no help. I haven't scheduled my electrician to install yet until I decide upon the EVSE. The Schneider EVSE allows a full 30A charging without any modifications.

Since the price has gone up on the PowerXpress, I figured someone may want to take advantage of my lower price.

smkettner said:
SPX will go 30 amp same as Schneider when hardwired to a 40a circuit. Is that wrong?

The SPX is 32A, and the cords and max out at 30A with 10 gauge. It seems silly that SPX didn't use higher gauge cable or just remove the 32A option.

I am interested in the SPX EL 50600, but (always a but, heh?)

I have a different Amperage concern than the OP. I rent and my only source of 240 volts is from two 15 Amp 120 volt outlets, both serving other functions. Hence, I must limit current. The SPX specs say current is "Field adjustable 12-32A" I can not find in the available on-line manuals what that means. does anyone know how the current is adjusted? User adjusted? Supplies whatever the LEAF asks for?

Bill

ebill3 said:

I have a different Amperage concern than the OP. I rent and my only source of 240 volts is from two 15 Amp 120 volt outlets, both serving other functions. Hence, I must limit current. The SPX specs say current is "Field adjustable 12-32A" I can not find in the available on-line manuals what that means. does anyone know how the current is adjusted? User adjusted? Supplies whatever the LEAF asks for?

Bill

See page 10: https://www.homecharging.spx.com/volt/pdf/EL-50600-7-2_REVA.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, my install: http://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3159&d=1319252307" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, if you're on a 15A circuit, then you will need the 12A setting. I wonder how much faster 240V @ 16A charges vs. 240V @ 12A?

MTNRanger said:
smkettner said:
SPX will go 30 amp same as Schneider when hardwired to a 40a circuit. Is that wrong?
The SPX is 32A, and the cords and max out at 30A with 10 gauge. It seems silly that SPX didn't use higher gauge cable or just remove the 32A option.
I guess I thought SPX had a 30a selection and it does not. :| I think I would still run 32a through it and not worry. Point is moot on current leaf.
And I agree the top setting should be 30 amps.

Still allows great flexibility for a portable unit. Only evse with this feature.
Should be an easy sell.

ebill3 said:

Thanks smkettner and JouleThief. My bad - I should have checked that CPX thread. :cry:

Bill

Back