Ford expands Plug-In line with Fusion Energi

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Ford is going to bring 2 PHEVs to the market in fall of this year - C-Max Energi that was announced last year and Fusion Energi that was announced today. Priced well, Focus Energi can be a very good competitor to Volt & PlugInPrius with likely CS efficiency of 47/44 mpg. This approaches PIP mileage - but in a bigger car (D segment vs C segment).

No word on the EV range - but is likely to be about 20 miles. It can travel in EV mode upto 62 mph.

Specs : http://media.ford.com/mini_sites/10031/NAIAS12/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/2013/features/?intcmp=fv-hpbb-2013-fusion-energi#page=Feature16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The new Fusion Energi plug-In hybrid electric vehicle is designed to be efficient, thanks to combining a high-voltage battery and electric motor with a gasoline engine. The plugin capability allows you to charge the battery using either a 120-volt or a 240-volt outlet upgraded with electric vehicle supply equipment. By doing so, you extend the distance the Fusion Energi can travel in all-electric mode. Its high-voltage lithium-ion battery pack provides enough power to operate in all-electric mode for short commutes. To lessen any concern you may have about driving range, when the battery is depleted or more power is required, the vehicle functions as a traditional gas-electric hybrid. The Fusion Energi also features a Regenerative Braking System, allowing it to capture braking energy and store it for later use. PHEV available early 2013.

This shows Ford is taking plugins far more seriously than they take BEVs - infact far more seriously than Toyota takes Plugins.

I'm interested in this one. I really like the styling. Very reminiscent of Aston Martin and Jaguar. The car looks really good in white.

I'm disappointed, though, in the projected 20 mile EV range. I think that GM got it right with the Volt's 40 mile EV range. I can imagine teaming my LEAF with a PHEV as our second car, but with an EV range of 40 to 50 miles. Give me a family car, or preferably a wagon, with useful room for kids and cargo and you've got a winner. Then I could get a sports EV to replace the LEAF when my lease is up.

Boomer23 said:
I'm disappointed, though, in the projected 20 mile EV range.
Ford's approach seems to be to increase effective mpg, rather than allow long EV range. They say it will help in keeping the cost down - since the battery will be smaller.

But the problem is - tax credit is such that larger battery gets larger credit - about $400 / kWh. That credit almost covers the marginal cost of a kWh. So a PHEV with 16 kWh battery (i.e. Volt) may cost the same as a PHEV with a 8 kWh battery (aka Energi), after tax credit. Only thing is it will allow Energi to have more space.

It will be very interesting to see how Ford prices Energi.

Boomer23 said:
Give me a family car, or preferably a wagon, with useful room for kids and cargo and you've got a winner.

The C-Max Energi would be the way to go for you: http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2013_CMAXEnergi.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boomer23 said:
I'm disappointed, though, in the projected 20 mile EV range. I think that GM got it right with the Volt's 40 mile EV range.
I would think that many (if not most) trips > 20 miles involve hiway driving in much of the country. The Ford PHEV (like the PiP) burns gas at those speeds. So the EV distance limitation may not be as dramatic as it seems. Basically for longer trips it's a gas burning hybrid, with entrance and egress driving running as an EV.

How that sits in the EV Purity Pantheon I think I'll leave for others to debate (at least, for the moment).

evnow said:
Boomer23 said:
I'm disappointed, though, in the projected 20 mile EV range.
Ford's approach seems to be to increase effective mpg, rather than allow long EV range. They say it will help in keeping the cost down - since the battery will be smaller.

But the problem is - tax credit is such that larger battery gets larger credit - about $400 / kWh. That credit almost covers the marginal cost of a kWh. So a PHEV with 16 kWh battery (i.e. Volt) may cost the same as a PHEV with a 8 kWh battery (aka Energi), after tax credit. Only thing is it will allow Energi to have more space.

It will be very interesting to see how Ford prices Energi.
I imagine the trade-off comes in the lower weight of the smaller battery, thus boosting CS mpg _and_ performance at a lower upfront price. I think it's a reasonable compromise, and will give people a choice along a spectrum of CD range from the PiP to the Volt (or Karma, for that matter). It certainly seems a lot more competitive than a $40k Focus EV (compared to a Volt or a Coda), assuming they sell the Fusion Energi for <= the Volt. It _should_ be less expensive than the Volt, if Ford doesn't insist on pimping them all out to boost profit (or make them initially profitable at all). I think it looks better than the Volt, and I suspect it will handle better too.

One of the issues holding back EVs has been that none of the models affordable by average people have been cars that driving enthusiasts would buy. Skinny tires, no-feedback steering, weird ride etc. has been acceptable to techies and greens, but it's time we had a Karma or Tesla for the rest of us.

Guy

P.S. I finally saw my first Volt on the road yesterday, after several months of seeing Leafs.

GRA said:
One of the issues holding back EVs has been that none of the models affordable by average people have been cars that driving enthusiasts would buy. Skinny tires, no-feedback steering, weird ride etc. has been acceptable to techies and greens, but it's time we had a Karma or Tesla for the rest of us.

Guy

P.S. I finally saw my first Volt on the road yesterday, after several months of seeing Leafs.

I recommend that you test drive a Volt, just for the fun of it. As an enthusiast, I find the Volt's drive characteristics pretty satisfying.

JustinC said:
Boomer23 said:
Give me a family car, or preferably a wagon, with useful room for kids and cargo and you've got a winner.

The C-Max Energi would be the way to go for you: http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2013_CMAXEnergi.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, I'm aware, but I was hoping for a 40 mile EV range. No disclosure of the CMAX PHEV's EV range yet, but I'm guessing that it'll be the same as the Fusion, just to keep engineering and manufacturing costs down. Most of our driving is on local roadways, not freeways. So EV range would be an important factor for us. Daily around town driving is under 40 miles, usually, so we could power such a PHEV almost completely from our solar PV system for such driving, and then hopefully the highway mileage would be in the 45 mpg range. So then bye-bye Prius!

Yes, not great, but certainly more enjoyable than the Leaf...

Boomer23 said:
I recommend that you test drive a Volt, just for the fun of it. As an enthusiast, I find the Volt's drive characteristics pretty satisfying.

GRA said:

Guy

Guy:

This is my garage.

photo%2B%25281%2529.JPG

I think the Z06 on the right qualifies me as a "Driving Enthusiasts" and I sill bought and drive a Leaf...

Boomer23 said:
JustinC said:
Boomer23 said:

Yes, I'm aware, but I was hoping for a 40 mile EV range. No disclosure of the CMAX PHEV's EV range yet, but I'm guessing that it'll be the same as the Fusion, just to keep engineering and manufacturing costs down. Most of our driving is on local roadways, not freeways. So EV range would be an important factor for us. Daily around town driving is under 40 miles, usually, so we could power such a PHEV almost completely from our solar PV system for such driving, and then hopefully the highway mileage would be in the 45 mpg range. So then bye-bye Prius!

This Volvo would be more on target for me.
http://www.green.autoblog.com/2012/01/09/volvo-xc60-plug-in-hybrid-shows-where-the-company-is-headed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exactly the right EV range, good mpg in gas mode, quick acceleration and good cargo capability in a good looking package. I'd even consider the diesel/PHEV version planned for Europe, but Volvo apparently thinks that the US version should be a gasoline/PHEV. Oh well, either one would work for me.

GPowers said:
GRA said:

Guy

Guy:

This is my garage.

photo%2B%25281%2529.JPG

I think the Z06 on the right qualifies me as a "Driving Enthusiasts" and I sill bought and drive a Leaf...
Sure, but you didn't buy the Leaf because it was exciting to drive, you've got the 'Vette for that. It may be fun to drive if you are into playing the mileage game, but you're not going to mistake it for a Mini Cooper on a windy road. I know about the electric Minis, but until they make a BEV which allows you to drive it spiritedly for more than 20-30 minutes before needing a charge, at a price affordable by the majority of drivers, BEVs just aren't going to cut it for driving enthusiasts as a car they enjoy _driving_ ( i.e. for its handling/accel/braking/sensory feedback). We'll get there eventually, but in the meantime PHEVs will have to suffice.

Guy

Back