Ford joins EV parade with Focus Electric - Autoweek

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AP1

Brace yourself for an influx of electric cars coming onto the market in the next two years. From Tesla to Toyota and Fisker to Ford, there will be battery-powered transportation available in numbers not seen since the turn of the century—the 20th or 21st.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120604/carreviews/120609969#ixzz1wsUTEoKj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the usual knuckle draggers making false claims about "shifting the pollution to the power plant" in the comments section. It's amazing, I should say depressing, to see these folks spewing what they've heard on talk radio without validating the information.

Boomer23 said:
And the usual knuckle draggers making false claims about "shifting the pollution to the power plant" in the comments section.
It's true, but the standard retort is that it's easier to regulate and fix one large power plant than several hundred small engines.

garsh said:
Boomer23 said:
And the usual knuckle draggers making false claims about "shifting the pollution to the power plant" in the comments section.
It's true, but the standard retort is that it's easier to regulate and fix one large power plant than several hundred small engines.

I thought about posting that comment since I've seen it many times before, but though it sounds true, gas engines are getting cleaner and more efficient while coal fired power plants aren't getting much cleaner.

Boomer23 said:
I thought about posting that comment since I've seen it many times before, but though it sounds true, gas engines are getting cleaner and more efficient while coal fired power plants aren't getting much cleaner.

My answer is much simpler. I just tell them environmental reasons had nothing at all to do with my purchase, so it doesn't really matter which is cleaner.

adric22 said:
Boomer23 said:

My answer is much simpler. I just tell them environmental reasons had nothing at all to do with my purchase, so it doesn't really matter which is cleaner.

Was your choice based on cost of operation or the cool factor? :D

I would reply that the Nissan LEAF only generates about half the CO2 of a comparable ICE car, based on current fuel sources for electric generation. The emissions are also not located in city centers making it easier for everyone to breath. Electric utilities are in the process of reducing the amount of coal used, and are moving to cleaner greener sources. Even coal is not so bad. It is domestically sourced and plentiful. I never heard of a terrorist being funded with coal money. :D

Oh and one more little detail, I have a solar photovoltaic system on my home's roof that powers it and my LEAF. It has about a six year payback but since it raised the value of my home and not its property tax, it has already paid for itself. Now you can either try to throw your FUD at that, or relent and enter the 21st century! :lol:

Back