Fox news and EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnr said:
Would the mods pls have a look at this thread? It's been split pretty badly with two threads intertwined, and it's hard to follow!
Nothing much I can do - without spending a LOT of time separating out individual posts.

oobflyer said:
Wow, Fox "news" is quite the joke isn't it. Did you know they recently got caught red-handed lying about global warming?

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201012090003

There's no doubt in my mind that big oil is influencing the network.

They should have thanked you, Olivier, for being a concerned American who has taken a big step to help reduce greenhouse emissions and reduce global warming which affects all life on earth.

We can all do our part to help (I commute on electrons as well, via my Vectrix). I'll be getting an electric car someday soon, but AeroEnvironment tried to overtly scam me out of $3000, so I cancelled my LEAF reservation because of them. Hopefully other manufacturers won't fall into the same monopoly trap like Nissan did with AeroEnvironment.

Why would you cancel a Leaf order because of third party supplier pricing that you are not committed to? There is no monopoly with AV and there are EVSE options and there are soon to be even more. I kept my reservation but got my money back from AV and will have another EVSE solution since AV is not a requirement or a monopoly in any way.

Conservatism is the ideal of trying to make sure nothing changes. It is the antithesis of Progressivism. The desire to stop change because the results of change can't be predicted and thus are scary is a common principle of all human cultures. Progress is always desirable in the human spirit, but most would prefer self-guided progress, not progress at the point of a gun (government).

The problem comes when you have a great world power at a crossroads. Generation after generation seeing and believing how great this country, the United States of America, is. Change is scary because one misstep may mean the slippery slide away from supremacy. This is why so many Americans fear change and why shows that play to that conservatism are so popular.

Politicians are typically Progressive. Even the Republicans. They want change. Some want change by allowing corporate freedom. Some want change in how we trade with other nations. Some want change in how we cure our sick. Some want change in how we handle global climate change. They don't all want the same thing, but they all want some kind of change. If Politicians didn't want change, they'd disband Congress because what's the point of a legislative body if all the problems of the nation have been fixed and is exactly working. This means change. Change is scary.

FOX news, Al Jazeera, and any other news media organization that is trying to tap into the visceral human fear of change is inevitable in a free-market of ideas. They play to a segment of each population that feels unrepresented by its government; a group that wants to have the good life without anything having to change. An ideal.

What this kind of conservative fails to see is that unless you control every nation, you need to change and adapt to a changing and adapting world. China, India, Brazil, Indonesia, once primitive, 3rd world countries are now developing nations who are rapidly becoming economic powers in their own right. The United States must change to compete in this more competitive world. Change is inevitable. We change or we die, collapsed like Rome, Charlemagne, Genghis Khan, the Aztecs, the Inca and Mansa Musa's empire. The last chapter of the American story has yet to be written, and with the right choices people will still be speaking of us in the present tense for many centuries to come.

This is why I'm a Progressive. This is why I support energy independence without sacrificing world food production. Why I support Nuclear Power and reprocessing of fissile material and the genetic engineering of cyanobacteria to replace foreign gasoline with domestically produced Diesel grown directly from the sun. This is why I love hearing about the Atlantic continental shelf power grid and the solar-thermal plants going up in the U.S. South West. All this and more could be made in America. These things could all be designed patented and re-patented in the United States for us to sell to the world. With the right investment in these and similar technologies, we may on day hear Germany and Japan, China and India complaining about how much we, the United States, export, how we have created a trade imbalance. This is the road to a nation reborn; a nation ahead. Will you stand with me?

TimeHorse said:
Conservatism is the ideal of trying to make sure nothing changes. It is the antithesis of Progressivism. The desire to stop change because the results of change can't be predicted and thus are scary is a common principle of all human cultures. Progress is always desirable in the human spirit, but most would prefer self-guided progress, not progress at the point of a gun (government)....

Wow, Timehorse. Good tirade. +1

Fear, I'm afraid (!?), is the driving force behind our dwindling democratic institutions. Fear of losing power to other nations, fear of other people, fear of changing traditions. Regardless of one's political bent, having or regaining a sense of agency and knowing that we can adapt and do things, is critical. So many forces are pushing us, telling us we are powerless, that the status quo is the only route, and that is a road paved with disappointment and frustration.

I'm not one to advocate that "buying something" is generally the answer to our woes. Quite the opposite actually--we should be buying less and seeing ourselves as something other than just consumers. But, in the case of the Leaf, I'm pretty persuaded that buying a car is actually doing something.

TimeHorse said:
Progressive= Left wing nut job wanting Large government control of everything and something free for All. They don't support Nuclear Power.

From what you said is your a Republican Moderate.
This is why I'm a Progressive. This is why I support energy independence without sacrificing world food production. Why I support Nuclear Power and reprocessing of fissile material and the genetic engineering of cyanobacteria to replace foreign gasoline with domestically produced Diesel grown directly from the sun. This is why I love hearing about the Atlantic continental shelf power grid and the solar-thermal plants going up in the U.S. South West. All this and more could be made in America. These things could all be designed patented and re-patented in the United States for us to sell to the world. With the right investment in these and similar technologies, we may on day hear Germany and Japan, China and India complaining about how much we, the United States, export, how we have created a trade imbalance. This is the road to a nation reborn; a nation ahead. Will you stand with me?

Do not take my reply wrong. I agree

Gonewild said:
TimeHorse said:
Progressive= Left wing nut job wanting Large government control of everything and something free for All. They don't support Nuclear Power.

From what you said is your a Republican Moderate.

I thought I was pretty enlightened; but what in hell is "cyanobacteria"?? :?

[/quote]

I thought I was pretty enlightened; but what in hell is "cyanobacteria"?? :?[/quote]

Cyanobacteria (also known as blue-green algae, blue-green bacteria, and Cyanophyta) is a phylum of bacteria that obtain their energy through photosynthesis.

Gonewild said:
TimeHorse didn't say this said:

Those are not my words, nor would that be a fair characterization of the Progressive movement...

Gonewild said:

I'm a Bull Moose Progressive, as in Rough and Ready Teddy. They just don't make em like him anymore; though the big stick plank seems to have stuck with both modern parties.

Back