Freedom Is an Electric Car - Huffington Post

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nekota

Some very positive news but wish the LEAF got the electric vehicle tag rather than the volt but I'm just persnickety. I'm beginning to see more of these articles and less of the FUD stuff. What do you think?

Freedom Is an Electric Car -> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sarah-a-w-fitts/freedom-is-an-electric-ca_b_980231.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice editorial. I especially like the 20th vs 21st century angle. Too bad the news sources that my friends all use are full of FUD. We need oil independence and we're never gonna get it by sticking with gas for transportation. Unfortunately most of our politicians (led by the Tea baggers and Republicans) are focused on recreating the past instead of creating the future. Perhaps they're right, why bother with government investment when every good green technology we've developed we just give to the Chinese or let them steal it? I guess they want us to buy all of our stuff from the Asians and Europeans instead of just most of it.

I should move to Canada, at least they admit they have to get everything from other countries, believe science is more than a theory, healthcare is for everyone, and that religion is for churches not the government. But there aren't too many LEAF's in Canada yet ;)

Maybe there is hope even for your friends:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/26/roger-ailes-fox-news-course-correction_n_980850.html
padamson1 said:
Nice editorial. I especially like the 20th vs 21st century angle. Too bad the news sources that my friends all use are full of FUD. We need oil independence and we're never gonna get it by sticking with gas for transportation. Unfortunately most of our politicians (led by the Tea baggers and Republicans) are focused on recreating the past instead of creating the future. Perhaps they're right, why bother with government investment when every good green technology we've developed we just give to the Chinese or let them steal it? I guess they want us to buy all of our stuff from the Asians and Europeans instead of just most of it.

I should move to Canada, at least they admit they have to get everything from other countries, believe science is more than a theory, healthcare is for everyone, and that religion is for churches not the government. But there aren't too many LEAF's in Canada yet ;)

The non-believers who always come out of the woodwork to comment on EVs as "coal powered cars" need to look at the situation a bit differently. The way I see it, "green" generation is currently outpacing electric usage by EV cars, and I would venture to guess kWh of green generation are being added faster than kWh of EV consumption. In the synchronous electric grid, it's difficult to determine exactly what motivated the electrons which whose energy flows into EV batteries, so you have to apply the "offset" principle. As I see it, it would be just as valid to say that all EVs are powered from green energy since more green energy is being dumped into the grid than the energy EVs are extracting from the grid.

Having read the comments to the article it is sad how much misinformation there is out there. The article should have covered a few more of the misconceptions like;

1) More coal fired plants won't be necessary because there is excess capacity at night.
2) 94% of lead-acid batteries are recycled and there is no reason that Li-ion batteries cannot be recycled as well.
3) Unlike lead-acid batteries a secondary market will be created for the 80% capacity that is still useable in an Li-ion battery (e.g. electric utilities using them to provide electricity during peak demand periods).
4) Many persons use non-coal electricity to charge the cars (we use PV entirely).
5) Just like pick up trucks and sports cars are different for different uses, so is the EV. It has a niche for a particular urban, non-polluting use.
6) The extra up front cost of EVs is more than made back by electricity costing less per mile than gas.

I just wish that some of these journalists would contact a knowledgable owner of an EV before they write these pieces.

ERG4ALL said:
4) Many persons use non-coal electricity to charge the cars (we use PV entirely).
Unless you charge during the day, when the sun is shining, your PV isn't moving electrons into your battery, you are offsetting the grid energy you use to charge your battery by supplying PV generation at a different time. Since the more green energy goes into the grid than energy which is extracted to charge EVs, one could make the argument that all EV energy consuption is offset by green generation. In any event, the grid is becoming more "green" and EVs are being deployed, which causes a definite net decrease in carbon footprint. However, there will always be those who "cherry pick" statistics to support their arguments.

On the whole, I though the article was reasonably positive, but all EV articles seem to bring negative commenters with the same, tired (and incorrect) arguments.

The PV charging at night is actually better than charging during the day. The peak loads occur on the grid during the daylight hours so our generation not only takes our load off the grid, but the excess that we generate does not have to travel miles and miles to be used. It travels right next door for my neighbor to use. So I still say that PV charging an EV is a good thing and not "cherry picking" a statistic.

Do you honestly think this is a coincidence?
A "beloved" Governor of a mid-western state is being charged for using government employees to post comments on web sites during office hours. Many people are employed to post comments on various sites...
tps said:
On the whole, I though the article was reasonably positive, but all EV articles seem to bring negative commenters with the same, tired (and incorrect) arguments.

Back