Freeway commute questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never know but I contend that he could easily do 85 miles on a charge meaning he could be years away from worrying about his range. His climate is mild. He probably had hills to negotiate so there its really too much we don't know

Guy, thanks for a good summary of why you should not lock into a multi-year commitment to a car that has significant diminishing range that can affect the "mission".

Certainly, then LEAF can do it. The constraints just need to be observed over the entire term of the proposed mission.

TonyWilliams said:
Guy, thanks for a good summary of why you should not lock into a multi-year commitment to a car that has significant diminishing range that can affect the "mission".

Certainly, then LEAF can do it. The constraints just need to be observed over the entire term of the proposed mission.
I do find it strange that so many owners who post here only seem to consider capability under ideal conditions when new, when making recommendations to others. Perhaps it's just different expectations for a car; many people lease or only keep a car for a few years before getting another, so they can discount long-term viability. Whereas I keep a car until it dies, so things like long-term reliability and ability to meet my current as well as reasonable-probability future needs is a much larger component of my car-buying decision.

Added to that is my AE experience with batteries that degrade and will eventually need replacement - it can't be ignored, as many here seem to do when making financial comparisons with ICEs. Someone will eventually have to pay for that (or else absorb the cost of scrapping the car without replacement), and given the near-total lack of certainty of what such replacement is likely to cost or when it will need to happen, I'm a firm believer in being conservative in my recommendations and operating practices until we have that data.

Back