'Fringe' - now sponsored by Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
Fans of the Fox TV show 'Fringe' know that it has sponsored by Ford for quite a few seasons now. Well, I guess this season is being sponsored by Nissan, and more specifically the LEAF. Unfortunately, there is no product placement in the show.....yet. But the Fringe Division agents are now out of their Fords and in nondescript and debadged SUVs instead.

mwalsh said:
Fans of the Fox TV show 'Fringe' know that it has sponsored by Ford for quite a few seasons now. Well, I guess this season is being sponsored by Nissan, and more specifically the LEAF. Unfortunately, there is no product placement in the show.....yet. But the Fringe Division agents are now out of their Fords and in nondescript and debadged SUVs instead.

Government agents not driving America cars? Now it's REALLY unbelievable ;)

mwalsh said:
Unfortunately, there is no product placement in the show.....yet. But the Fringe Division agents are now out of their Fords and in nondescript and debadged SUVs instead.

Olivia Dunham was driving a Nissan Titan on this last week's show. So apparently the product placement deal has kicked in.

mwalsh said:
Well, I guess this season is being sponsored by Nissan, and more specifically the LEAF. Unfortunately, there is no product placement in the show.....yet.
So that product placement for the LEAF just aired! I was watching tonight's Fringe and was like "Hey, that's a LEAF!" Olivia and Peter were driving down the freeway in a silver LEAF, Peter mentioned how far they had to go, so Oliva checked the range map and told him "it's fine, we have plenty of range." It also showed a handful of stations in range! I don't think we have that many around here yet - at least not that's been updated in CARWINGS yet. :)

I came here to post about it and found this old thread, so...

Look mods, someone actually used the search and didn't create a duplicate thread!

Are you sure they weren't in an alternate universe when they actually found charging stations? :)

mwalsh said:
there is no product placement in the show.....yet.

Well there is now! In the season premiere last night, one of the main characters (Olivia) is driving a Leaf, and her passenger (Peter) turns to her and says "xxx is 40miles away", and the program shows as Olivia taps the range center console and says "oh, we have plenty of range".

DarkStar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
i will put this on my Netflix list!! (dont have cable, dont need cable)
Fringe is on Fox. In most areas this is a broadcast TV station, not cable.
That does not change the fact that there are commercials set times for the show and so on. it will be a while before I set the season in question but at least o will see it on my terms commercial free.

I have Terr first season queued up for about 2 Weeks from now

Well, I hope they were either planning to get a charge there or not come back as I doubt that they drive with range efficiency in mind! :lol: (I've never seen the show, by the way...) I also wonder how many vehicles have actually been sold over the years simply because they were product-placed in a TV show... I know it has never affected anything I did or did not buy.

earther said:
In the season premiere last night, one of the main characters (Olivia) is driving a Leaf, and her passenger (Peter) turns to her and says "xxx is 40miles away", and the program shows as Olivia taps the range center console and says "oh, we have plenty of range".

DaveinOlyWA said:
DarkStar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
i will put this on my Netflix list!! (dont have cable, dont need cable)
Fringe is on Fox. In most areas this is a broadcast TV station, not cable.
That does not change the fact that there are commercials set times for the show and so on. it will be a while before I set the season in question but at least o will see it on my terms commercial free.

I have Terr first season queued up for about 2 Weeks from now
If you watch the current season online, the commercials aren't that bad. The Key West commercial brings back memories of the good time I had there. Not a Vodka fan, but Skyy's eye candy is OK...

DaveinOlyWA said:

well, here's the 30sec segment in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4fY1_NSxF0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- the captions (rightfully?) criticizing clunky product placement were not aired in the original :)

Welcome to the future brought to you by DVRs, online viewing and all the people that skip over traditional ads! I watch Brad Meltzer's Decoded which last season was an ad for the Porsche Cayenne and this season for some Lincoln crossover and even more blatantly so--a few episodes ago in a completely unnecessary scene not related in any way to the subject they were "decoding" they cut to a scene showing them driving down the street and one of the team saying that his "internal navigation" system is superior, but sure enough they get lost and have to rely on the car's built in navigation system.

GPowers said:
It was fun seeing the cast driving around in a Leaf. I was surprised that there was a few lines of dialog about the range.

I'll bet in a upcoming episode we see Olivia plugging in the Leaf and Peter will casually mutter "so convenient just to be able to charge at home like this" as she replies "and so cheap compared to gas too", lol

Price of gas in the Fringe alternate universe:
s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsdf7vsnkY1qanmtro1_1280.png

perhaps the popularity of EVs there have driven down demand :)

TomT said:
Even though I love my Leaf, this is an example of how product placement can go bad...
I don't mind, as long as it isn't too disruptive or non-sequitur to the story line. I didn't find this bit bad at all.

The product placement was just a little bit over the top, but I don't think it was too much. I've seen worse. The promotions for Ford on Expedition Impossible struck me that way, but then as a reality show I kinda expect that. I saw once on some other show someone using an HP printer with a huge HP logo covering up most of the machine - that was too obvious! Of course, the best product placement is just subtle enough that you don't realize it's product placement as first. ;)

Back