Front Tires Flaking at 1500 Miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Make sure they check for damage to your rims, axle and other various related parts! I'm sure they'll make good, but it's a shame this had to happen first.

Armand said:
Not good! One of the back tires blew out on the free way. Waiting to get towed to the dealer. This time the car wil not leave the shop until I have some assurance I have safe tires on this car. I have zero confidence in these tires but I seem to be the odd one out. There is no other report of defective ecopia tires as far as I can tell. Any suggestions?

If the blowout was one of the remaining old tires, insist on replacement of all remaining original tires. There have not been widespread reports of failures of the tires supplied on the LEAF so there must have been a manufacturing, storage, or installation problem with your original tires. Also, severe underinflation can cause problems so I would take an accurate gauge with you when you pick up the car and make sure the new tires are properly inflated before leaving the dealer lot.

One thing I do not overlook is tire pressure and visual inspection. I had checked tire pressure on all four in the morning and did a visual inspection. Everything looked good. We drove about 70 miles today. My wife drove the last ten and she was the one who got the blowout only a couple of miles from the house. Any way, the car is now at the Nissan dealer with a note to the service manager with whom I had chatted only three days earlier. He had promised to push to get the remaining two tires replaced. It was one of them that gave out.

Does anyone know if the whole thing with low rolling resistance Ecopia tires is a real benefit? At this point, I am thinking I should just dump the Bridgestones (including the two new ones) and get 4 new Michelins.

Here is how the story ended. The tire that blew had a weight balance in it so the damage appeared to be externally caused but Nissan replaced both rear tires on goodwill. They had also replaced the front tires due to apparent defect though they never reported back on that. Going through 4 tires in less than a month involving defects and blowout was quite stressful not to mention the inconvenience of repeated visits to the dealership and a few days without a leaf! But the dealership did their best to minimize the pain. They worked with Nissan and got the car back on the road as fast as they could. Very nice people. PM me if looking for good sales and service people in the sf peninsula area.

I drove straight to wheel works and paid for tire warranty. I am not confident these tires will do the 60k miles they are supposed to. I am also going to check out the spare tire thread as well. These tires are not stocked by many dealers based on my experience and what I've read here. If you end up in a situation where you need a new tire, it might take a day or two to get it. I might even buy a tire and store it in the garage. Of course Nissan would not let me keep the one good tire they replaced as they paid for its replacement.

Lastly, my case appears to be a freak of nature. There is no other report of quality issues with Ecopia as far as my research shows.

Armand said:
Lastly, my case appears to be a freak of nature. There is no other report of quality issues with Ecopia as far as my research shows.
Let's hope that continues to hold true. Every product on the market is going to have some manufacturing defects that slip through QC. Usually they're very small in number, though given the global megaphone that is the internet, it doesn't always feel that way. :D

TimLee said:
The label at the driver's door on my Leaf says 35 psig. Where did you find the recommended 36 psig?
That's odd--mine says 36 PSI, same as Armand and many others have reported here previously in the various tire pressure threads. His car is obviously later than yours in production, and mine is earlier. Are you sure it says 35? :?: :?:

TT

Well, in checking my tires today, I am seeing chunking on three of them... They have about 8,500 miles on them at this point. So, it may be a more widespread problem than initially thought since mine should be from a different lot than the OPs... I'm going to contact Bridgestone and a dealer and see what they will do about it... Below is a picture from one of the tires...

24gu883.jpg

My door panel shows 36 psi.. I have also noted that alignment specs seem to be changing.

I wish my edges looked as good as the ones in the picture above. I have two LEAFS with edge wear at 3,000 and 4,000 miles and alignment is in spec.

317gthc.jpg

TomT said:
Well, in checking my tires today, I am seeing chunking on three of them... They have about 8,500 miles on them at this point. So, it may be a more widespread problem than initially thought since mine should be from a different lot than the OPs... I'm going to contact Bridgestone and a dealer and see what they will do about it... Below is a picture from one of the tires...

24gu883.jpg

That looks like what I had. This could be a recent phenomenon. I mentioned in an earlier post that I couldn't find another case but clearly your tires are showing similar wear pattern. Good luck and let us know about the outcome.

TomT said:
Well, in checking my tires today, I am seeing chunking on three of them... They have about 8,500 miles on them at this point.

Tom, from the shadows it also appears like you have some scalloping (feathering, cupping) on the edge. Usually due to heavy braking, worn out bushings, toe-in alignment issues or bad tires.. you notice the front tires making more noise?

I noticed this right after I rotated the tires so this particular tire spent all it's life so far on the right rear. It's hard to say about the tire noise as a gradual change can be subtle to detect but I'd say that they are somewhat noisier now than when new... There definitely as not been any heavy breaking but I do corner in a spirited fashion from time to time...

Update: I took sound level meter readings shortly after I got the car... At the same speed (55 mph) and on the same street, it is now 2.9 DB louder than when new... I'm now at just under 10,000 miles. Both were an average of two directions to account for wind.

Herm said:
Tom, from the shadows it also appears like you have some scalloping (feathering, cupping) on the edge. Usually due to heavy braking, alignment issues or bad tires.. you notice the front tires making more noise?

I took it in this week for the Bridgestone rep to take a look. He found evidence of significant chunking on two tires, slight chunking on a third, and nothing on the fourth. They are all from the same batch. Based on what he saw, he has authorized all four tires to be replaced for free under warranty.

In questioning him about how widespread this is, he, of course, hedged his bets and said that they have only seen it on a "very small percentage of tires." He also said that the Leaf OEM tire is a slightly different construction than the aftermarket tire and that the aftermarket tire "may" be a little more robust (which is what they will be replacing them with). Lastly, apparently the EP422 is made from recycled rubber and the EP100 is not. He would not comment on whether or not this might be part of the problem...

TomT said:
Well, in checking my tires today, I am seeing chunking on three of them... They have about 8,500 miles on them at this point. So, it may be a more widespread problem than initially thought since mine should be from a different lot than the OPs... I'm going to contact Bridgestone and a dealer and see what they will do about it...

TomT said:

24gu883.jpg
We gotta get you a better digital camera my friend
;)

Back