Future Leaf Range??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well tesla is planning a 30k car by 2015 with at LEAST 200 miles of range, so i don't expect the leaf to be too far behind.

How about Air-Aluminum batteries to reach our fantasy range?
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1083111_phinergy-1000-mile-aluminum-air-battery-on-the-road-in-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would love to know if Nissan or other major car companies are taking this technology seriously.
Can any of the "techies" out there chime in with their scientifically based opinion on air-aluminum? The major block right now, I suppose, is the cost of frequent battery swapping once the aluminum plates are used, but certainly there's room for a third-party battery recycler that could handle this for a reasonable cost?
I agree with the rest of the forum, lithium-ion is not the tech that will get us to 200 miles range for a reasonable price (I do not consider $50K reasonable, by the way).
Best,
Josh

Maaz said:
well tesla is planning a 30k car by 2015 with at LEAST 200 miles of range, so i don't expect the leaf to be too far behind.
Highly unlikely. Musk has said they will have a prototype Model E by 2015. Production is not expected until 2017.

Maaz said:
Specifically what Elon has recently said is a car about half the cost of the Model S with about 200 mile range in 3 to 4 years. That would be 2016 or 2017. So consider it a $40K car by 2017. Another Tesla person did say $30K car, but didn't give range or date estimate. So that one might be 2018, with 160 mile range, after government tax incentives.
http://rumors.automobilemag.com/tesla-in-detroit-our-family-will-grow-197263.html#axzz2KXGvX511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was listening to the Tesla Q3 earnings call live earlier this week and I believe Musk mentioned the specific target price of $35K for the Model E. He also said the Model E is still in its early design phases, or something to that effect. Bottom line, it is still several years away. They don't even expect to have the Model X in volume production until 2015 and that is what they are focusing most of their efforts on now.

I expect I'll be considering a Model E when my *next* Leaf lease runs out, after my current one.

smkettner said:
Received a survey yesterday and it had a few questions about how much extra would I pay to have more range.
Maybe someone is getting the message?

Survey went in the shreader :|

Guys/ Gals There is a reason why I am writing this question on the Leaf Forum.
Nissan North America has employees that look into the questions/concerns/ and information in the web and in forums such as this one.
View these employees as little messangers for Nissan.. If owners/ future owners talk about it enough.. you will start seeing chages

Back