Future Proof Home Chargepoint

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motobiman

2013 Leaf (with 6.6kw charger) on order - HELP.

If I get a 32amp chargepoint with a Type 1/J1772 tethered lead and later I change to a car with a Type 2 or even Type 3 socket on it, can I change the chargepoint plug or plug/tethered lead to suit the car or do I have to change the whole chargepoint?

The option of getting a chargepoint with a Type 2 socket is not really practical as I would either have to unplug both ends of my cable and open the boot every time or have a second cable (money, money) that could be left on the chargepoint (and maybe pinched).

Any help really appreciated. :?:

Hm, interesting problem. I would recommend giving Zero Carbon World a consideration. I think they connected with one of the forum regulars, and leveraged the OpenEVSE design for their charging stations. They are usually donated to businesses that promise to provide free electricity to their patrons, but I note that the stations are also available for purchase now. There are several fitting cable types Zero Carbon World can provide as well.
newownermnl

http://shop.zerocarbonworld.org/charging-stations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://shop.zerocarbonworld.org/cables/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one's got me scratching my head in total ignorance. I've heard of IEC (Mennekes) Type 1, Type 2, and Type 3, but not any such type numbers for SAE J1772. Is this nomenclature used for J1772-2001, vs. J1772-2009, vs. the new J1772 combo plug?

Ray

planet4ever said:
This one's got me scratching my head in total ignorance. I've heard of IEC (Mennekes) Type 1, Type 2, and Type 3, but not any such type numbers for SAE J1772. Is this nomenclature used for J1772-2001, vs. J1772-2009, vs. the new J1772 combo plug?
Yes, I'm struggling with it too, but I went with my best guess. I believe that the OP is based in Europe, most likely in the UK, hence my recommendation to look at Zero Carbon World.

planet4ever said:
surfingslovak said:
I believe that the OP is based in Europe, most likely in the UK
Ah, of course, "open the boot." How could I have missed that?
Yes, and also the fact that hardly anybody in the US would call a home charging station a "chargepoint". Too bad that there is no way to capture pronunciation and accents on the forum. I think it would be a lot more fun!

Back